Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Flying Over the Earth at Night

When I saw this NASA video it really was one of those 'Wow' moments, what do you think of it Mona?

The Earth at night, lying beneath clouds and as seen from the International Space Station, its solar panels in view at the frame edges.

Lightning flashes, blue seas, city lights, all encircled with the golden haze of Earth's thin astmosphere, while the ISS flies through red and purple auroras and over green.

The growing brightness of dawn each time it appears on the sunlit half of Earth.

It is a compilation of a longer video and just amazing.

All the quotes you had on your 'What would you like to do on the moon' thread came to mind.

Quote:
Michael Collins (Apollo 11), as he thought of looking at the Earth, said, "My God, that little thing is so fragile out there." Scott Carpenter (Mercury 7) said, "This planet is a delicate flower and it must be cared for. It's lonely. It's small. And we are mistreating it. This is our home, and this is all we've got."

The great and pioneering Russian cosmonaut Aleksei Leonov said, "The Earth was small, light blue, and so touchingly alone, our home that must be defended like a holy relic."

There are many similar responses from those who have been in space and I think for the 24 Apollo astronauts who left "Earth's gravity and circled the Moon, this seems to sum it up:
"We came all this way to explore the moon, and the most important thing is that we discovered the earth." (William Anders, Apollo 8)
� William Anders

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Distance enhances beauty. One of the scariest parts of my trip to Japan in 1989 was the night flight over the Russian steppes. For several hours of the trip I could see what looked like brightly lit Football (Soccer)fields. At first I thought that's what they were, but for at an hour or so I could see at least 3 of these brightly lit areas at all times. Then it dawned on me- they were Gulags.

From orbit they probably looked like a carpet of diamonds.

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
I have mixed feelings about the night scenes from space. They're irresistably beautiful, yet I am horrified at the waste of energy and the pollution of the night sky. And looking at them also reminded me a bit of the vulcanism on Io. A matter of perspective, I guess, as in Ian's comment.

Sometimes the person who makes the video adds a soundtrack so annoying, I have to mute the sound. But I liked this one. "Two steps from Hell" - maybe appropriate comment for the matter of perspective!

And the auroral sequence was a knock-out. (It must be strange seeing aurorae underfoot.)

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 03/19/12 03:50 AM.
Parakeet
Parakeet
We are wasting too much energy while washing out the night sky. Future generations may not even know what the Milky Way is.

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
It's a chocolate candy bar... ain't it?

-B-
"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children."
You guys are flying over the Earth at night eating Milky Way candy bars???!!! I thought I saw some strange things up there -- must be fun...

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Not me. I don't like Milky Way candy bars. Though I'd be agreeable to a few dark chocolate truffles.

Awww! Truffles I can easily go for. Flying?...only with a hooded cape would I attempt that.

Last edited by Phyllis - Appalachia; 03/19/12 03:59 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Milky Way candy bars and truffels to add to the moon cocktails we have already planned. shocked Wow, thank goodness for weightlessness.........but my cape definitely will be needed to hide a spare tire, doubt there will be any of it left over to help with flying.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Beautiful

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.