Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

During the Middle Ages German Monks bent the 'Food Allowed' rules during 'Fasts', and this 13th century recipe, adapted to use chicken breasts rather than the original beaver tails, is another example. Don't know how it tasted made from beaver but with chicken it's delicious. smile

Monk's Chicken, a Lenten Recipe

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Francine and all,

Another winner, maybe I was a Monk way back then? But no, couldn't have been as me to when it comes to not eating beaver tails, no matter how it was served or why. God not 'seeing'? Who were the Monks kidding but themselves - and don't we all still.

Ah well, my kitchen is calling that siren song - try it Lestie, try it now ... so will go shopping for what I need and follow what you say. Faithfully with the chicken breasts. What do Beaver's tails look like besides swishy? No matter, will just eat the Lenten chicken. Then I promise to try and endeavour to possibly make the effort maybe required to run around the block for some exercise ... but not sure about that ho ho.

Thanks as always for the fun I am going to have in my kitchen!

Cheers

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

Oh, wow, Francine - that recipe made my mouth water! I can hardly wait to try it. Thanks!!

Sandy Hemphill, Cocktails Editor
Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

A beaver's tail............hmmm well best described as large, flat and sort of an elongated oval Lestie. But must admit just the thought of it sort of kills my appetite, think I would have rather remained on my Fast than eat that, killing the hunger pangs with the extra strong brew of course.

It just shows the difference in cultures though doesn't it.

In the UK Beavers were hunted to extinction for their fur, they are like large vegetarian cats with lovely thick warming fur, while in Germany no one took much notice of the fur, they sold it to the French apparently, but turned the tail into a meal.

However with chicken, the recipe is definitely worth trying. Your kitchen will love it because it is so easy and takes few pots and pans, and you won't have to run around the block afterwards, as it is a meal for Lent so almost a 'slimmer's dish'. smile

Last edited by Francine - German Culture; 03/20/12 11:54 AM.

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Well Sandy to stop that mouth watering just long enough so you can actually cook the meal, and to make up for any lack of 'Beaver', you of course must first have your

Eager Beaver Cocktail

2 oz rum
3 oz coffee liqueur
1 oz orange liqueur

Pour all ingredients into a cocktail shaker half-filled with ice cubes.
Shake.
Strain into a highball glass filled with ice cubes.

And Serve......Yum cool

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Ah dang Francine, I have just come back from the shops having been in a full eager beaver fever to get all my kitchen asked for for the lenten chicken ... and now I must go back for the cocktail stuff. Sounds delish - did you just make that up?

Here's one I can make from what the back of my cupboard gave me -

The Leeva Beeva Alone Gulp,

Take 2 big parts dark Jamaican Rum and mix with three parts Ginger Beer (not ale) mix well, use a tall glass and add a short squeeze of lime juice (not lemon). Decorate with a slice of lime and serve over crushed ice with a short straw.

Ah gee boy, you haven't been to beeva heaven till you've tried this on a hot day!

A barman I met when I was studying many many many years ago gave me this recipe with which I still stun the crowned heads of Europe!

Cheers now

Container Gardening Site

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Have to laugh at your poor kitchen Lestie, must feel that it doesn't know whether it is on its head or its feet when you have your cooking urge going on. Or should that be ceiling or floor, oh well.

No Eager Beaver is quite well known, sort of the 'Red Bull' of cocktails, it 'gives you wings'...............and powerful enough to stick at one if there is to be a combination of sharp knives and slicing onions involved any time soon.

Your 'Freshener' though sounds just delish. Do you make your own ginger beer?

Can only buy ginger ale and although I can remember bottles of homemade ginger beer being kept when I was a kid, without any mishaps, whenever I have tried to make it the bottles have exploded. Any idea what I am doing wrongly, because 'Leeva Beeva Alone Gulp' just must be tried as soon as decent weather arrives. cool

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi there,

Yes I used to make my own Ginger Beer and with few mishaps. It was my Granny's recipe but have not done so for a long time now. Got to wake up, but a person gets a tad kinda slow moving or stopped and slumpy (WHO SAID LAZY?) when you can buy the Ginger Beers here from the supermarkets.

There was a time when I could have just quoted the recipe to you but now will have to go seek it out in one of her recipe books that are preciously read! Will just take a raincheck on that and get back to you soon (ish).

I might suggest (as one does) trying it with ginger ale but add some fresh ginger juice (little, you don't want to burn your tongue). I would take a garlic crusher and mince some fresh peeled ginger - a piece say as big as your middle finger nail, but less is more and you can experiment. Powdered ginger would not work of course.

Worth a try for refreshment anyway which it will be. Have a couple of Maraschino cherries (not glace) on cocktail sticks nearby and see what you will see when your gulp is over. Hmm.

Cheers now

Container Gardening Site

Moderated by  Francine - German Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.