#751912 03/18/12 07:19 PM
L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
Dessert has never been my downfall. Now that we are doing Atkins, I actually want it. Does anyone have any good ideas for healthier desserts?

so far, we've used ricotta cheese with artificial sweetener and bottled flavorings.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I know this will be a very unpopular response, but I think "healthy dessert" is an oxymoron. With the exception of fresh fruit served with cheeses like they do in Europe, I don't think dessert is even supposed to be healthy. My philosophy is to eat a small or half portion of a great, satisfying dessert occasionally to avoid feeling deprived. I've found that when I'm really feeling deprived of foods that I'm craving, I tend to cheat in a huge way (like eat a dozen or so cookies or half a carton of ice cream). Does anybody else feel this way, or am I just nuts?

I do try to add healthy ingredients to my desserts when appropriate (like a little whole wheat flour, ground flax, or another healthy grain), but I've found cutting the fat in baked goods and substituting low-fat items just makes the final product tough or substandard; those types of desserts aren't really worth eating anyway.

Karen Hancock, Desserts Editor
Desserts Website
Desserts Forum
I make Oatmeal Raisin cookies where I substitute about a quarter cup of oat bran for the same amount of the oatmeal. I use 'Smart Balance' butter blend to make it a healther fat content, finally I substitute about a quarter-cup of Brain Booster Omega 3 powder for the same quantity of flour. No one in my family has ever commented on the cookies tasting any different. I don't know whether they qualify as being good-for-you, but they are certainly healthier than the original recipe, which actually in terms of desserts isn't so bad to begin with given the oats and raisins present.

P.S. Hmm.... I just noticed you commented on using Atkins, so I don't think this recipe is really what you are looking for. I simply view it as better for ones health than a lot of what we eat for desserts.

Moderated by  Karen - Desserts 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.