Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

The Dutch Quarter, Potsdam

It has been there since the 18th Century, and on the eastern side of Germany far away from the Netherlands-German border, a little piece of Holland, Das Hollaendische Viertel, The Dutch Quarter.

132 Dutch styled homes set amongst the palaces and parks of Potsdam, Germany's largest World Heritage Site.

It just about fell to pieces during the times of communist East Germany, but is now restored and back to its former glory. smile

Potsdam's Dutch Quarter - Das Hollaendische Viertel

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hello Francine,

What a delightful article! The Potsdam Giants? Sounds like the first basketball team ... well they could have been.

I learnt a lot just by reading the story so thanks. Amazing when something is just not part of your life then you start using the net to give you an instant fillip. Oh yes, what did we do without this resource? Still what is that saying along the lines of 'what the eyes do not see the heart does not grieve' based on that philosopher's premise that if a cactus falls over in the desert, but 'I' did not see it... therefore it did not fall.

Ah, but you see, now I am going to win a competition one day because I do know who the Potsdam Giants were and that there is now a beautifully restored piece of Holland in Germany.

Thank you so much - I send greetings

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Welcome back Lestie smile it is super you and you ideas are on the forum again. I mean who else would have thought of the Potsdam Giants making a basketball team, what an image. Especially if they were wearing their uniforms and not those boring shorts and shirts.

Image what it must have been like to be faced with those soldiers though, when the average height at the time was around 5ft 5ins.........Wow I would have run as fast as possible in the opposite direction.

It is a beautiful little area. Bit touristy and full in the summer months, but otherwise super to visit.

Found it really interesting to see rooms all set up as they would have been in those days, but did wonder how the huge men got up the stairs to the third floor. The rooms are not 'small' but the staircases are another thing altogether.

Lots of banged heads I would imagine, or perhaps they kept their helmets on. viking OK not quite the same helmet but..............

Last edited by Francine - German Culture; 03/01/12 06:18 AM.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Moderated by  Francine - German Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.