Print Thread
#748200 02/26/12 01:51 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Hi Francine-

I just made a German Chocolate Cake for a friend. It happens to be a frequently requested, homemade, baked good from my family and my friends. It is a chocolate cake (fluffy, not an intense chocolate flavor), iced in a very sweet, dairy based (almost caramel) icing, mixed with chopped pecans and coconut.

So, I was wondering about it's origins. Is this cake actually a German Cake?

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Hi Yvonnie, No German Chocolate Cake has nothing to do with a genuine Chocolate Cake from Germany, most of which are basically very rich, with a melted chocolate topping, some with fresh fruit. A 'torte' really.

Many look basically something like this photo.

There are those that have masses of fresh cream and fruit as well as chocolate, such as the Black Forest Gateau.

Or there are cakes that just have chocolate as one of the ingredients, but are not 'chocolate cakes' as such.

A sweet sugar frosting is not something that appears that often on a cake, just a thin ice glaze or something like that is more usual if an icing is called for.

When I was in the USA I was given a slice of the cake you describe, and was told that it came into the public eye in the �domesticated� 1950�s, from a recipe made by a housewife using a dark cooking chocolate developed in the 19th century by a man called Sam German.

He worked for the Bakers Chocolate Company and the chocolate was named for him, German�s Sweet Chocolate.

There are so many different types of cake in Germany, they just love them especially in the afternoon, but have never seen an example of a US �German Chocolate Cake� over here. Enjoyed the slice I had all those years ago though.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Thanks Francine for that educational update.

The cake in your photo looks yummy! I think I'll make one of those next week.

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration

Moderated by  Francine - German Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.