Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
debbiebbb, Anne_0921, Ebnul Karim Benzima, Morr27, purat
56589 Registered Users
Forum Stats
56589 Members
417 Forums
111494 Topics
786333 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Beetlemess 273
Nancy Roussy 173
Rosie 66 155
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 130
loongdragon 113
James Andrew 109
Lestie4containergardens 70
Jilly 69
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 69
Susan - Meditation Editor 52
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#747355 - 02/21/12 03:18 PM Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making
hpiner Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
I have made a few quilts some I have machine quilted with my little machine working hard, and others I've sent off to be long armed. only one was hand stitched. However, I'm making a special quilt for my son and I want to hand stitch a letter on each large square, the letter will be a "gothic" script and I would like them to be identical on each block. I assume i need to make a stencil, but don't know how or what to make it out of, what might be reusable, etc. I've done paper piecing before and the thought of stitching the paper to the quilt and tearing it away after concerns me with pulling stitches and stuff. ANY IDEAS? ANY ONE DONE THIS BEFORE CAN OFFER A NEWBIE A HELPING HAND/IDEA? Thanks so much!

Add Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making to Twitter Add Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making to Facebook Add Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making to MySpace Add Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making to Del.icio.us Digg Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making Add Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making to Yahoo My Web Add Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making to Google Bookmarks Add Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making to Stumbleupon Add Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making to Reddit
#747511 - 02/22/12 07:45 AM Re: Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making [Re: hpiner]
Judie Quilting Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark

Hi Hpiner, welcome to our quilting forum. I've used templastic to make stencils, using a very sharp craft knife.

Come on, quilters, can you help Hpiner with her problem?

Cheerio for now

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting

Add Re: Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making to Twitter Add Re: Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making to Facebook Add Re: Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making to MySpace Add Re: Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making Add Re: Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making to Stumbleupon Add Re: Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making to Reddit
#747515 - 02/22/12 08:08 AM Re: Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making [Re: hpiner]
Phyllis Doyle Burns Offline
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Loc: Reno, NV
The best suggestion I can think of is to buy those alphabet stencils. Trace the letters on printing paper, one letter on each piece of paper, in the center. Then enlarge each letter on a copier to the size you want.

Then, using the templastic transfer the letters to the plastic and cut out the part inside the letter. It will be the same as the small letter on the alpha template you bought, only in a much larger size.

Doing it this way will give uniformity to the size and style of the letters.

Add Re: Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making to Twitter Add Re: Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making to Facebook Add Re: Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making to MySpace Add Re: Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making Add Re: Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making to Stumbleupon Add Re: Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making to Reddit
#747600 - 02/22/12 07:33 PM Re: Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making [Re: hpiner]
hpiner Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Thanks so much. At Joann's I found something under the name Quilters Thick Plastic. I guess that is similar? It looks ideal for my needs. I didn't see Templastic. I guess I can pin it in place to quilt? Thank you, Heather PS. Is there special thread for quilting? I see old quilts sometimes and it almost looks like string rather than thread. Can anyone recommend a good beginner book to cover these bases. I'm sure you all are looking at these questions and wondering what turnip truck I fell off of!

Edited by hpiner (02/22/12 07:33 PM)

#747607 - 02/22/12 09:22 PM Re: Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making [Re: hpiner]
Phyllis Doyle Burns Offline
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Loc: Reno, NV
You are most welcome! smile

When I need help with quilting, I turn to Nancy:
Sewing With Nancy - quilting

There is a special quilting thread that is best to use for strength and ease of sewing. Check out the tabs on the Sewing Notions page at Nancy's Notions.

Good luck!

#748809 - 02/29/12 09:07 PM Re: Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making [Re: hpiner]
sewfine Offline

Loc: Indiana
I have the book called: Quilts! Quilts! Quilts!: The complete guide to Quiltmaking by McClun and Nownes

#752584 - 03/21/12 03:21 PM Re: Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making [Re: hpiner]
MaureenKS Offline

Loc: Kansas
I am not sure you can pin the template material to the fabric, but you could certainly tape it while you trace the letters.
It sounds like a lovely idea, enjoy the process.

#754056 - 03/29/12 10:12 AM Re: Beginner quilter needs help with stencil making [Re: hpiner]
Judie Quilting Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark

Great idea Maureen, another good idea is to use a sandpaper surface to lay the fabric on, and then trace the letters. The sandpaper keeps the fabric from moving and makes it easier to trace around the stencil. Let us know how you get on.
Cheerio for now

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting

Moderator:  Judie Quilting Editor 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
What My Spirituality Is!
by loongdragon
Spirituality
06:08 AM
Breaking Up by Ignoring Someone
by Anne_0921
Dating
04:49 AM
International Dark Sky Week - Save the Night!
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
03:14 AM
How do i make my skin soft,clear and fair?
by kiwistech
Cosmetics
02:09 AM
Gardening Bumper Stickers
by Lestie4containergardens
Container Gardening
01:37 AM
Yoga Relieves Back Pain
by Terri - Exercise/Yoga Editor
Yoga
11:51 PM
The Way of the Bodhisattva
by Lisa - Buddhism
Buddhism
11:15 PM
What is your stress level today?
by Nancy Roussy
Stress Management
11:14 PM
The Bar Method a Body Sculpting Workout
by Terri - Exercise/Yoga Editor
Exercise
11:06 PM
The Haunting of Chretien Point
by ParanormalHost
Paranormal
10:46 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
3 registered (Izeigo, Mona - Astronomy, Lestie4containergardens), 64 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.