logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#371562 02/01/08 01:12 PM
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
I am a Program Coordinator for our county's Parks and Recreation Commission, and as such I am in charge of setting up fun classes for the public. I do a lot of needlework (my preference is crewel embroidery), and when I was shopping in A.C. Moore for some supplies for the clases I am going to teach, I saw a new technique, or at least it is new to me. Has anyone out there ever done Punch Needle Embroidery? I bought one of the kits so I could teach myself before I have to teach other people, but any information to help me get started would be greatly appreciated.

Kathi
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Punch Needle embroidery has been around for quite a long time, and grew out of an 18th century technique called Tambourwork.

I've not done any Punch Needle work myself, but have done some Tambourwork. The most important thing is the tension on the fabric. This is a technique where using a hoop or frame is essential - and it should, preferably, be a "hand free" one too.

You can get a number of hands free hoops - from those with an "arm" that you can sit on, to those which come with clamps that can clamp to a table.

You also need to ensure that your Punch Needle is kept sharp, and that you use the correct size for the fabric that you are stitching on. If the needle is too big, it will punch a large, unsightly hole in the fabric.

Try asking at your local needlework store to see if they have classes.

And Kathi - I agree. My preference is also crewel work!

Megan McConnell
F
F
To hand embroiderers this is probably heresy, but these days almost every brand of sewing machine has a punch machine. Much faster and the possibilities are only limited by your imagination and the materials you can get your hands on. Best of all the dealer will give you free lessons.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I bought a lot of punch needle stuff for the coming winter. I always do a lot of craft work in the winter since driving around town can be quite daunting. It keeps me from going bonkers like Jack Nicholson in THE SHINING.

Former Chocolate Editor. Also known as Daisybun.
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Fritsau, it is heresy to us hand embroiderers, but we'll forgive you! And work on turning you to the Dark Side *insert evil chuckle here*

As for crafting keeping you from going bonkers - I have friends who would beg to differ.

They got frightened one day when a group of embroiderers were talking and decided our motto was "if it stands still long enough, embroider on it. If it keeps moving, nail it in place first".

I do a lot of needlework not only because I love it, but because I fiddle and it keeps my hands busy (and safe from being thwaped because I'm being distracting fiddling)

Megan McConnell
I am relatively new to needle punch; keeping fabric tight was a major problem for me. My solution: [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v115/lpalta/Blog%20Photos/MyDIYNeedlepunchFrame_February102012.jpg[/IMG] Another problem is buying balls of 3-strand pearl cotton floss in store, rather than online, and single quantities. I will have to think on this a bit, I am working my brain to the bone as I type!

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Your photo isn't showing, Lucien. This should work

That's a great solution. You also may want to try using a slate or a scroll frame, where you can the3n dress it to give the perfect tension.

There is a terrific article on that HERE!

Last edited by Megan_Embroidery; 02/10/12 04:56 PM.

Megan McConnell
Megan, thanks for the image. Although I would love a slate frame, it's not in our budget. Most things I really need I find at our JoAnn Fabrics shop with 50% coupon. I am trying lots of new things and it could get expensive if I am not careful. I have been working on a large cross stitch for over a year not and only a little over a third done on it. Needed a break from it so pulled out a small sampler kit I purchased and started way back when. Now it's off to one of your other forums with too many questions. I never could comprehend written instructions. As I grow old, so grows my brain.

Moderated by  Megan M 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.