logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#739027 01/08/12 02:31 AM
OP Offline
I am working towards my Masters degree online, which means that I am on my computer a lot doing research and reading papers. I am also a mother of two young boys, which means it is hard for me to remain in one spot for very long and I am frequently trying to use my computer with only one hand (the other is holding a baby). I have been considering buying a tablet so that I can access my classroom and read articles while on the go, however, I don't want to spend a ton of money. I have considered getting the Kindle Fire, but I am not sure if I would be better off spending a bit more and getting an HP TouchPad or something else. Does anyone have any suggestions about this?

Megan Faulkner
Attachment Parenting
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I heard HP was going out of business in the area of PC's and Touchpads. You might find a great deal on eBay.

I know Apple sells refurbished items (sometimes affordable) if you considered an iPad. I'm not sure if Amazon sells refurbished Kindle's yet or if you could get a used one if someone upgraded.

One thing about the Kindle is each device has its own email so you can send documents to it to read on the go. The Kindle Fire is probably better than the smaller screen models for viewing webpages, but the smaller ones have a zoom feature.

I have an iPad, but got a Kindle 3 (basic 6x4.5"). Love the portability of it. The iPad is heavy for casual reading and hard on the eyes when done often. Not sure about the Kindle Fire. I would compare weight between the Kindle Fire and other devices and read reviews about the technology used on the Kindle Fire. Other Kindles are like reading real paper books/newspapers.

One other thing I didn't try to read up on is if the Kindle Fire has a problem in heat/direct sunlight like an iPad. I've had my iPad shut off outside if I wasn't sitting in the shade during the summer. Not sure if similar devices like HP and the K Fire would do the same.

The kids will love the addition of a tablet to the home, great educational apps are available, perfect when stuck in the car with the kids or when you need study time on your PC and they've run out of activities.

HTH, good luck finding a new device!

Violette DeSantis, Writely Applied
Blogs/Social Networking Editor
Small Office/Home Office Editor

Now writing at BloggingTips.com & Soaps.com. For updates visit videsantis.WritelyApplied.com.

"Energy rightly applied and directed will accomplish anything" ~ Nellie Bly
D
D
Samsung tablet

Moderated by  Allison_PCAdvice 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.