Next Thread
Print Thread
L
LBP Offline OP
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
L
I looked and didn't see this anywhere on here so I thought I would post.
Has anyone else shopped at salvage stores? Some call them 'banana box stores' same thing. We have a handful here where I live that are relatively close. They are down in Amish country and mostly run by the Amish. I love to shop there when I get the chance. Some of my best deals I found were:

Rice for 5 cents a pound. they had carts full of 5 pound and 10 pound bags. This was right around Halloween and I bought 6 bags of each. When my brothers came out for Thanksgiving I gave them all some and was left with 1 bag of each, which is still a lot of rice! and it is all still in date. much of the food there is out of date but some foods last past their expiration dates.

Boxes of Uncle Ben's brown rice for 25 cents. both the long cook and the boil bags, again they had carts full of them and I got probably 20 of each and gave most to the brothers. still have about 5 boxes left. yes, it is a lot of rice but there are 5 of us to feed and it all helps.

Salad Dressings for 10 cents a bottle. That really can't go bad ,they are sealed and preserved and they have so many interesting flavors to try. At 10 cents, I don't feel so bad throwing it out if I don't care for the flavor. so far I have liked all the different flavors.

I got a banana box full of cereal for $5.00. It had 20 bags of many different cereals in it. I think 5 of them were Cheerios(which I love) but all the rest were different. They were not in their boxes, they must have gotten damaged, but they wrote on the bags what they were. and none of them tasted stale! Cereal in the store is hoar-ably expensive and I got them for 40 cents a bag. Full size bags too. The kids loved it.

I know some are not comfortable shopping in such a store, but to me they are a godsend right now. I see nothing wrong with them. I love saving money when I can.

Last edited by Jilly; 03/05/12 10:36 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
LBP #744661 02/04/12 08:21 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
I love these stores! We used to have a great one, but it moved to a nearby town. frown

I hope someone else re-opens it. These stores are gold mines for all kinds of perfectly good food.

LBP #749689 03/05/12 10:34 PM
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Yes! I found the new location for the dented can store and have now been there a few times. They really have awesome supplies, and they even take food stamps. Just not coupons. smile

I have a nice ReStore nearby in Cottonwood - the habitat for humanity salvage store. I picked up some very nice, never used new cabinet pulls for my cruddy old cabinets in the kitchen and loo.

LBP #766039 06/02/12 09:35 PM
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Last week i used up the remainder of May's food stamps at my dented can store. I got Cliff and Luna trail bars for 20 cents, several containers of yeast for making my Kvass, coffee, peanut butter, canned beans and lemon juice.

Jilly #766054 06/02/12 10:39 PM
D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
I've noticed that most grocery stores have a section for dented cans, damaged boxes, etc. I've found a few bargains on things I actually use in those sections.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
LBP #804266 02/03/13 08:46 PM
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
An interesting note is that while you can use food stamps at these stores, they do NOT accept coupons. I guess I can see why - i think these are after-market products.

Moderated by  Jilly 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.