Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I am exploring ways to get financial assistance with eye care, since it's not usually covered in one's health insurance.

I need an exam, new frames and lenses. My old glasses are around five years old and really scratched up. I like the frames, but they are getting pretty worn. New ones would be nice. I plan to keep these old ones as backup.

my first step to finding cheap eye care has been to contact my local Lions Club. I met with a member who gave me a simple two page application to fill out stating my financial need. I did not have to produce supporting paperwork at this time.

The Lions member told me they will meet next thursday and review the applications. So that is where I am at in this process. I will keep reporting on how it goes here.

Anyone ever use Lions Club support for eye care or glasses? Know of any other ways to get cheap eye care?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I never even knew that the Lions Club could help with eyecare! That is a great idea Jill. I will see if I can dig up anywhere else that provides help.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
That would be great, Maria! Any info you can add would be very welcome.

My update - my friend who turned in her app at the same time as i got her approval letter and already had her eye exam. When i called to ask about my letter, they said it must have got lost in the mail. They (Lions Club people) promised to send me a new one.

Koala
Koala
That is why it is important to hold on to any old glasses you might have and deposit them in your local lions club collection basket. Often you will see the collection bins at local business that are owned by Lion's Club members. Not only do they help people with limited resources but people around the world that have no chance otherwise of ever getting their vision corrected. These glasses can be reconditioned and matched with people with the same prescriptions. I believe they collection hearing aids as well. Contact your local Lions Club for more information. I have worked closely with the Lion's Club in the past, they are a great organization.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Diana, thank you for the great inside information!

I will add an update when I (hopefully) get my letter of authorization for an eye exam!

Although I am not looking forward to the puff test. I suppose it must be done. frown

Also that dilation thing. Makes me nauseous to think on it. frown

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Finally, I received my acceptance letter from the Lions Club for me to get a free eye exam and glasses! YAY! My next step is to take my letter to the Cottonwood, AZ Old Town Mission (I will be there on monday) before 4pm.

I then need to make an appointment with the eye dr of my choice - i think. if so, I will choose the clinic here in Camp Verde.

when that is done, the lenses and frames part is next. the exam and frame will be free, and i am not sure if there will be any sort of fee for the lenses.

So, my immediate steps - bring acceptance letter to Old Town Mission, and set up an eye exam appointment.

I will keep reporting back on all this, in case this info will be helpful to others.

D
Shark
Shark
D
Hi, Jilly.
I am posting this information for your readers as another option.
Looks like you have discovered a great way for finding your needed eye ware. Great job!

Here are two online companies that were reviewed by a guest author in the vision issues site.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Dean Ingalls, Vision Issues Editor

vision issues homepage

vision issues forum

Remember to sign-up for the Vision Issues Newsletter to get weekly updates!
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I am so excited! I picked out my next frames! They are a really cool plastic frame by esprit in a dark brown and blue tone. I will report more on this later, but did want to share my excitement. The Old Town Mission really has some lovely frames to choose from!

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
When I got my letter from the Lions Club, it said to call the Old Town Mission and have them make me an appointment for an eye exam. I now have an eye exam for the 29th! And my frames are picked out, which usually you do not do until after the exam, but things did not go in order this particular time.

So at this point i need my exam at the end of the month, and then i get an appointment for my frames in the middle of march, and at that point order the lenses. Any lenses over $50 i have to pay out of pocket. I am guessing those under 50 will be plastic lenses, and i will need glass, plus antiglare and UV coatings - so I do not know what it will come to. But it's looking like I won't have glasses until april in any case.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
My eye exam has been moved to March 22, which is fine. I am still afraid of the puff test and eye drops.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jilly 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.