Page 1 of 2 1 2
#741128 01/16/12 03:25 PM
D
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
D
Hi, Everyone.
This past week a pedestrian was struck by a car at an intersection I use almost every day. The intersection has an auditable street crossing signal but also contains an extra turning lane without a turning signal. The cars trying to turn must decide when to turn during a regular green light. The problem area is when a turning car rushes to turn in front of on-coming traffic without checking for pedestrians. I have checked with the Department of Transportation in my city about having a turn signal installed without success. The cost of installing the turn signal is the reason I was given as to why one cannot be installed. If a turn signal was available it would give crossing pedestrians a visual alert when cars are turning. The turn signal could act as help to a visually impaired pedestrian because the visually impaired pedestrian could be taught to cross at the beginning of a crossing signal announcement avoiding turning cars.

My question is does anyone else face this type of problem or other issues concerning safety when crossing busy intersections?

Tell us about your situation!

Dean Ingalls, Vision Issues Editor

vision issues homepage

vision issues forum

Remember to sign-up for the Vision Issues Newsletter to get weekly updates!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
That's pretty scary that someone was hit at a place you use frequently. I am sorry the DOT isn't being very helpful. That is surprising.

In CA, pedestrians always have the right of way as soon as they enter a crosswalk. I think more of that would be good.

Jilly #741454 01/18/12 02:13 AM
D
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
D
Hi, Jilly.
I know, hearing the story made me stop and rethink about all the safety tips for crossing a busy intersection I learned while taking an orientation/mobility course.
Needless to say I plan on writing an article on safety tips for crossing intersections.
The lady is out of the hospital but suffered a broken leg and lots of bruises and sore muscles.

The statement pedestrians have the right of way was a topic highly discussed during my training program. We were taught several methods for crossing intersections but were told it's better to let cars go first instead of hoping they will obey the law and let a pedestrian have the right of way.

Thanks for your comments.

vision issues homepage

vision issues forum

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
That article sounds like a good one to write.

D
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
D
Hi, Jilly.
Thanks, the intersection safety article was a good review for me.
Just yesterday I was walking with a friend at the same intersection and two cars decided to turn in front of us even though we were more than halfway across the street. The cars just could not wait for us to cross so we had to stop and allow them to turn.

I have also heard the city is still trying to change the intersection into a turn about intersection which would make it more difficult for disabled pedestrians to cross. Looks like a battle is forming.
Thanks for your interest in this forum.
Sincerely,

vision issues homepage

vision issues forum

J
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
J
Dean, I was recently on vacation in Florida and there were clearly identified crosswalks for pedestrians and signs stating that motorists must stop but very few obeyed the law. I was in the middle of the street in a crosswalk and a guy in a truck just spoke to me instead of stopping. I kind of spoke back in a very unladylike manner hoping he would get angry and stop but he just smiled and kept going. I'll watch for your article!

Jenny McKinney, Ph.D.
Feng Shui
D
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
D
Hi, Jenny.
Thanks for your post.
I definitly understand how you felt.
I sometimes wish I had a paint gun at the end of my cane that would spray a big paint spot on the vehicle that passes closely in front of me when crossing a street. That's just a thought. I would never deliberately damage someone's autommobile but it somethimes makes me feel better to think about it.

Right now the city is trying to change the intersection to an unmarked intersection or a turn about intersection. The intersection would be similar to a circle intersection making it very difficult for pedestrians. A group is fighting the idea.
Again, thanks for posting.
Have a great day!

vision issues homepage

vision issues forum

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Oh jeez, a roundabout? How do pedestrians negotiate those?

Jilly #744662 02/04/12 08:26 PM
D
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
D
Hi, Jilly.
Good question.
the city has placed four way stop intersections around all schools and parks. I don't mind a four way stop intersection.

Personally, I have not encountered a turn about intersection. I plan to go to a meeting concerning the plans of changing the intersection. Hopefully, I can get some questions answered.
thanks for your post and question.

vision issues homepage

vision issues forum

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
And LOL, i like the paint gun fantasy idea with your cane!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.