Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I am in a relatively new town and need to figure out where to get my eyes examined. There is a walmart in the next town over, and there are eyeglass places here and there.

I have a very limited income and am on state health AHCCCS. They don't cover eyes a far as I can tell. So I am looking at some inexpensive places or trying to find a charity organization to help me with this.

Anyone have any ideas? What do you do?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
LOL Jilly, I just responded to another thread you had started.

Anyway, you answered my question in that thread about whether you had a state vision program. So no need to respond to that thread smile

I also said I do not know what Walmart is charging now as it has been a few years since I had my eyes checked.

There are some FREE programs if you do an internet search - of course you have to pass certain requirements, like income, age and so on. Maybe they may have one in your area. I did a "free vision care" search...

I am sure Dean will have some more ideas.

Yep, I am in the same boat and will be checking back to see if anyone has any more info.

Hugs,
A

Last edited by Angela J. Shirley; 01/03/12 10:00 AM.
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
There is a Mission in old town cottonwood that i think has a vision program for low incomes. let me see.

Okay, cool, I found this:

MISSION VISION CLINIC - Free Vision Clinic Eye care professionals provide services on a ;weekly and monthly schedule:

� Vision exams and low;cost eyeglasses

Patients must have scheduled appointments. Call the Mission at 928 634 7869 for appointment times and availability.

------

Now putting this number on my calendar to call and make appointment. I did a search for "old town mission cottonwood", found their website, and clicked on 'programs'. They also have a free legal clinic. So nice. i've been to their soup kitchen and thrift store - they are very nice.

Last edited by Jilly; 01/03/12 03:31 PM.
D
Shark
Shark
D
Hi, Jilly. Great job! I did several Internet searches on your town - Verde Valley, Az. but did not find any eye exam programs in your town. I did find the one you mentioned but was not sure how close it was to you. I did find eye exams at Sears with a 30% discount coupon if you made your appointment online. But didn't think that would fit the description of the cheapest eye exam cost. You are very good. I am going to watch you carefully. I need all the help I can get when it comes to being frugal. Again great job!

Dean Ingalls, Vision Issues Editor

vision issues homepage

vision issues forum

Remember to sign-up for the Vision Issues Newsletter to get weekly updates!
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
LOL, Dean, you made me laugh. smile Thanks. You are always welcome in the Frugal Living forum. Please share your insights and tips.

I am trying to help people shake the stigma that there is something wrong if you are low income. Low income does not make someone 'lesser', just like the wealthy are not 'better'.

D
Shark
Shark
D
Hi, Jilly. That's a great way to look at low income. It has taken me some time but I am slowly learning to accept your outlook concerning a low income situation. I have learned a great deal about learning to provide for myself while living on a low level of income and not feel bad about myself. Keep up the great work! Thanks.

vision issues homepage

vision issues forum

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Dean, that is good that you're letting go of a negative self image of yourself in regards to income earning. Our culture really emphasizes what we 'do' overmuch, and seems less concerned with 'who' we are. I am trying to change that outlook bit by bit.

In other news I called the Old Town Mission and they said to bring in my prescription and i would get low cost lenses and free frames.

When I asked about exams, they said to contact my local town's Lions Club and get an application for help on that.

So that is my next step. I will document this as I go to help others. smile

D
Shark
Shark
D
Hi, Jilly.
Good job.
You have discovered some new organizations such as the Lions Club for help with eye exams. I live in an apartment building housing a large population of Senior Citizens dealing with living on Social Socurity incomes and fixed budgets. Every new idea that offers them a method to have any form of health issues done free or at a reduced cost is very helpful. I am slowly introducing them to the computer and Internet and the advantages. Soon I hope they will begin to use Bella Online and the different sites such as yours to help them live a better life.
great idea to document your experience.
Thanks from all of us living on limited budgets.

vision issues homepage

vision issues forum

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Okay, my update: I found the Lions Club contact in my town, and he gave me an application to fill out wherein i asked about financial assistance for an exam, lenses and frames. I filled it out right there in about ten minutes. They didn't ask for any other proof of income or verifications, but did ask about my income and expenses.

The club is having a meeting next thursday to talk about and vote on my application. The dude said he will call me once he knows what the decision is.

So that is where that is at right now.

D
Shark
Shark
D
Hi, Jilly.
Thanks for the update.
I am surprised the application was so simple. Usually I feel like I am filling out a full length biography when applying for assistance.
Let me know what happens.
Good luck with the eye exam.
Take Care.

vision issues homepage

vision issues forum

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.