Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
It is the beginning of the year so as usual forecasts are being made as to what the next months, or years, could hold for us. But this is nothing new, as going back in history to over one hundred years ago, in December 1900, an American civil engineer, John Elfreth Watkins, published his ideas of What May Happen in the Next Hundred Years in Ladies' Home Journal.

They have just been republished, and although they must have sounded bizarre at the time, even he said 'These prophecies will seem strange, almost impossible', quite a few of them, such as color photography and television have come to pass.

Although he did get some wrong, such as his idea of a world in which, Mosquitoes, house-flies and roaches will have been exterminated, when at the moment the bed bug is making an unwanted reappearance in the US and some other countries.

Ten 100 Year Predictions that came true

Last edited by Francine - German Culture; 01/11/12 06:28 AM.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
Hi Francine:

Do you really believe that folks can predict the future?

Reason for asking:

When I was younger, I did believe(lol) - but as life came my way, I have grown skeptical.

Love this subject - thank you for posting it wink

Hugs,
A

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

I have pretty much an open mind about it Angela. There are certain things that I don't understand about the whole genre of telling the future, from Astrology to all sorts of other methods, however I don't know how a television works either...........just that it does.

So would never say 'it can not be true', especially as there are instances when it seems to be amazingly accurate, for whatever reason.

As far as the Ten 100 Year Predictions go though, as you probably saw from reading the article, John Elfreth Watkins definitely did predict the invention of items that are now in every day use, even though at the time he had no precedent on which to base his theories about the future.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Tiger
Tiger
Hi Francine:

Heading off the forum for the day, saw your post and wanted to say a BIG thank you for taking the time to respond.

Hugs,
A

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Francine, I would never say never about the possibility of people predicting the future. I thin some people are visionaries and can see the possibilities. It may be a gift from God to be able to do that. Not everyone can.

Moderated by  Vance - Crime Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.