Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
Calypso, ninahaska, ovinovin7, amrapaligolf, Nancy Smith
56554 Registered Users
Forum Stats
56555 Members
417 Forums
111408 Topics
785849 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Beetlemess 275
Nancy Roussy 170
loongdragon 155
Rosie 66 141
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 140
James Andrew 99
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 97
Lestie4containergardens 58
Allyson - USACook/HomeCook 55
Mona - Astronomy 48
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#739799 - 01/11/12 10:21 AM Ten 100-year predictions that came true
Francine - German Culture Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Loc: Germany/France
It is the beginning of the year so as usual forecasts are being made as to what the next months, or years, could hold for us. But this is nothing new, as going back in history to over one hundred years ago, in December 1900, an American civil engineer, John Elfreth Watkins, published his ideas of What May Happen in the Next Hundred Years in Ladies' Home Journal.

They have just been republished, and although they must have sounded bizarre at the time, even he said 'These prophecies will seem strange, almost impossible', quite a few of them, such as color photography and television have come to pass.

Although he did get some wrong, such as his idea of a world in which, Mosquitoes, house-flies and roaches will have been exterminated, when at the moment the bed bug is making an unwanted reappearance in the US and some other countries.

Ten 100 Year Predictions that came true

Edited by Francine - German Culture (01/11/12 10:28 AM)

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRUECKE Cologne, the CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. Photo "Der Wolf im Wald" with Plantu's "European Dove of Peace 2012". Western Europe has enjoyed the longest period of peace in its history, and in 2012 the EU won the Nobel Prize for Peace.

Add Ten 100-year predictions that came true to Twitter Add Ten 100-year predictions that came true to Facebook Add Ten 100-year predictions that came true to MySpace Add Ten 100-year predictions that came true to Del.icio.us Digg Ten 100-year predictions that came true Add Ten 100-year predictions that came true to Yahoo My Web Add Ten 100-year predictions that came true to Google Bookmarks Add Ten 100-year predictions that came true to Stumbleupon Add Ten 100-year predictions that came true to Reddit
#740078 - 01/12/12 01:03 PM Re: Ten 100-year predictions that came true [Re: Francine - German Culture]
Angela J. Shirley Offline
Tiger

Hi Francine:

Do you really believe that folks can predict the future?

Reason for asking:

When I was younger, I did believe(lol) - but as life came my way, I have grown skeptical.

Love this subject - thank you for posting it wink

Hugs,
A

Add Re: Ten 100-year predictions that came true to Twitter Add Re: Ten 100-year predictions that came true to Facebook Add Re: Ten 100-year predictions that came true to MySpace Add Re: Ten 100-year predictions that came true to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Ten 100-year predictions that came true Add Re: Ten 100-year predictions that came true to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Ten 100-year predictions that came true to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Ten 100-year predictions that came true to Stumbleupon Add Re: Ten 100-year predictions that came true to Reddit
#740091 - 01/12/12 01:34 PM Re: Ten 100-year predictions that came true [Re: Angela J. Shirley]
Francine - German Culture Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Loc: Germany/France

I have pretty much an open mind about it Angela. There are certain things that I don't understand about the whole genre of telling the future, from Astrology to all sorts of other methods, however I don't know how a television works either...........just that it does.

So would never say 'it can not be true', especially as there are instances when it seems to be amazingly accurate, for whatever reason.

As far as the Ten 100 Year Predictions go though, as you probably saw from reading the article, John Elfreth Watkins definitely did predict the invention of items that are now in every day use, even though at the time he had no precedent on which to base his theories about the future.

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRUECKE Cologne, the CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. Photo "Der Wolf im Wald" with Plantu's "European Dove of Peace 2012". Western Europe has enjoyed the longest period of peace in its history, and in 2012 the EU won the Nobel Prize for Peace.

Add Re: Ten 100-year predictions that came true to Twitter Add Re: Ten 100-year predictions that came true to Facebook Add Re: Ten 100-year predictions that came true to MySpace Add Re: Ten 100-year predictions that came true to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Ten 100-year predictions that came true Add Re: Ten 100-year predictions that came true to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Ten 100-year predictions that came true to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Ten 100-year predictions that came true to Stumbleupon Add Re: Ten 100-year predictions that came true to Reddit
#740093 - 01/12/12 01:39 PM Re: Ten 100-year predictions that came true [Re: Francine - German Culture]
Angela J. Shirley Offline
Tiger

Hi Francine:

Heading off the forum for the day, saw your post and wanted to say a BIG thank you for taking the time to respond.

Hugs,
A

#743236 - 01/28/12 03:24 AM Re: Ten 100-year predictions that came true [Re: Francine - German Culture]
Angie Offline
Zebra

Francine, I would never say never about the possibility of people predicting the future. I thin some people are visionaries and can see the possibilities. It may be a gift from God to be able to do that. Not everyone can.

Moderator:  Rebecca G. 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
The Goddess
by Debbie-SpiritualityEditor
Spirituality
Today at 09:12 PM
What is your stress level today?
by Nancy Roussy
Stress Management
Today at 09:02 PM
Soup du jour
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Sandwiches
Today at 08:27 PM
Setting through the World around Us
by Bluedolphin - Nonfiction
Nonfiction Writing
Today at 06:37 PM
Suggestions for Face Cleaner Needed
by malaa1994
Body Care
Today at 06:19 PM
Short Stories - Writing Basics
by Kathryn - Short Stories
Short Stories
Today at 06:11 PM
Stellé Audio Couture Introducing Portable Speakers
by Calypso
Women's Fashion
Today at 06:07 PM
Kepler Lives!
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Today at 06:06 PM
New Monopoly Token
by Calypso
Board Games
Today at 06:01 PM
What exercise did you do today?
by Nancy Roussy
Exercise
Today at 05:58 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
1 registered (Izeigo), 67 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.