Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Responses to common objections to public breastfeeding, from the serious to the absurd. For those opposed as well as those having to deal with those opposed to nursing in public.

Responses to Opponents of Public Breastfeeding

Nicki Heskin, Breastfeeding and Early Childhood Editor
Breastfeeding Site - Breastfeeding Forum
Early Childhood Site - Early Childhood Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Have any moms sued others, or businesses, for being harrassed in public. I think there should be a fine for ignorance.

It is not my first choice to feed in public, believe me I loved the quiet and comfort of home, but as a mom of three it became a necessity. Yes I had to bf at the little league ballpark etc. while shuffling older kids around. Feeding in a hot car is not an option. I didn't make a public display, was descreet as any mom who just cares about feeding her baby.

I was fortunate that no one ever said anything to me but am outraged at how many times I read a story about an uninformed security officer or business owner, etc. that hasn't got a clue about the laws. Probably less people are approached for walking around braless with nipples showing in inappropriate clothing than moms breastfeeding.

Let's be real. You really can't see anything but the back of a baby's head when a mom is breastfeeding. Why do people get so indignant about it?

Violette DeSantis, Writely Applied
Blogs/Social Networking Editor
Small Office/Home Office Editor

Now writing at BloggingTips.com & Soaps.com. For updates visit videsantis.WritelyApplied.com.

"Energy rightly applied and directed will accomplish anything" ~ Nellie Bly
Thank you for writing this article! I love it when people stand up for a woman's right to feed her baby wherever and however she feels is best for her baby. I always appreciate the women that I have seen breastfeeding in public because they gave me the confidence to feed my baby outside of the confines of my house as well. Sometimes people forget that most moms are not nursing in public to try to gain attention and make a statement, we are just trying to meet the needs of our hungry babies.

Megan Faulkner
Attachment Parenting
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Thanks, ladies. Violet.. sadly while most states have laws protecting public breastfeeding and stating that it is not public indecency, very few (if any.. I have to check) states have ENFORCEMENT clauses which apply a fine or any other sort of punitive action for violating that right.

I don't think people actually care about seeing breasts. Let's face it, we see breasts all the time. They just don't like seeing breasts used for feeding babies. It makes them feel confused about how that relates to their image of breasts for sex. They talk about women covering up and try to make it about covering the breast. But what they really want is to cover the baby AT the breast. It's pretty absurd.

Nicki

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
And Megan.. welcome to the AP site. I was excited to see an editor come on board. I'll be following your articles with interest. I've been an AP parent for 9 years and counting...

Nicki

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

A great article Nikki, and how refreshing to see a balanced and reasoned viewpoint on breast feeding that addresses the facts as well as the opinions.

Having chosen to breastfeed both my sons, 101 years ago, am not convinced anyone would actually want to do so in an �exposed� place rather than somewhere comfortable, if there was an available alternative. However occasionally it just �has to be�, and then dealt with discreetly am not sure where the problem lies. Although deliberate provocation through �sit-ins� or whatever probably does not further the cause, even in the eyes of some breast feeding advocates.

There are acts, and ways of behaving, which are carried out openly and are probably far worse for those in close proximity to be exposed to, yet for whatever reason they do not cause quite such a polarization of opinion as something that is natural and normal��.and in many cases simply a necessity.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Thanks, Francine. I agree. I have mixed feelings about the "sit-ins" in terms of whether they further the cause in terms of changing minds, but I do like seeing breastfeeding mamas stand up for one another and basically say, this is legal and if you try to stop one of us because you don't want to see it, we are going to make you see it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.