Horses and Animal Life site editor
Horses Website
Horses Forum
Animal Life Site
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
Hi Susan:

Do you think the recession has affected how alot of stables are being maintained?

And by this I mean, are more closing down and corners being cut?

I grew up in the country in my island (Jamaica, West Indies) and still hope to one day be able to retire in the country somewhere. Living in the USA right now and get so EXCITED when I see some "green grass" versus the famous concrete...

S
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
S
Yes Angela the economy has effected many in the horse world. People have been dumping horses, many of these wind up bound for slaughter - which is a very hot topic right now. Many boarding facilities have empty stalls - this is unheard of this time of year here in Western New York. I am fortunate as my stalls are filled. My lesson schedule has been cut as riding lessons take a back seat to other expenses. Things do seem a bit better over the last few month so hopefully we will continue to recover.

Hope that you have not been effected by the economy and that all is well.

Susan Hopf
Horses Website
Horses Forum
Animal Life Site
Tiger
Tiger
Hi Susan:

Thanks for asking, yes the recession has been a CHALLENGE for me - but the "good news" - it forced me at age 53 to explore multiple income sources. It has not been FUN, but as of yesterday it is finally falling in place.

Now I have to figure out how to squeeze 2 online book reviews, one real book review(author sent me a copy yesterday) and some other freelance work that also hit me yesterday. Yikes!!! It is like, the day before it was "worrying" now I am every so GRATEFUL for the "too much" work...

LOL, it is time to test all those time management skills I had in the past and have totally not been using.

In ending, what has changed to make things seem a bit better over the last few months - to quote from your post above?

S
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
S
That is something that I have been wondering about myself. I think that people have down-sized their finances enough over the last few years that they are returning to the things that matter to them the most - horses in the case of horse people. This is a slow time of year anyway. We are cold in Western New York and with the holidays horse related activites fall off the priority list anyway but this year the reduction has been less than the last few - this points to a very slow recovery.

And in my business too it is usually feast or famine. I hope that you remain "too" busy for a long time - I think we all tend to do better with too much to do rather than too little.

Have a wonderful holiday season.

Susan Hopf
Horses Website
Horses Forum
Animal Life Site
Tiger
Tiger
Hi Susan:

If you don't mind my asking, how do you deal with the "famine" times?

LOL, I am still learning how to operate on only commissions and love to LEARN from others. Some weeks I get ZERO, not fun at all.

Happy Holidays to you too & all the BEST for 2012.

Hugs,
A

S
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
S
Anglea,

sorry so long but the holidays kept me off the grid for awhile.

budgeting is the only way - make sure not to over-indulge when the money is rolling in. Sometime hard to do when you have had a long spell of lean time but the caution is to really plan ahead.

Susan Hopf
Horses Website
Horses Forum
Animal Life Site
D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
Easier said than done sometimes, especially when you have a string of unexpected circumstances hit all at once. All we can do is the best that we can to get back on track as soon as we get our footing once again. Of course gaining that traction back often takes a lot of time, especially in this tough economy.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
Tiger
Tiger
LOL, having an income coming in also helps smile

Have not had any since 12/10/11 - but trusting God big time that my continued "hard" work and "discipline" will pay off SOON!!

D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
I hear you, Angela. I am also unemployed for quite some time and my unemployment compensation has long run out. I'm trying to keep my two horses. It has become impossible for me to pay for grain and hay for them anymore. The farm owner where my horses are boarded calls me for money all the time now. She won't let them starve but I am between a rock and a hard place right now while trying to find work. I have contacted a few agencies for help but everyone is in a bind with this economy.

One day at a time.....

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.