Print Thread
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Dean, we are blessed to have you writing at BellaOnline. This article is so well-written and informative.

I have been worried most of my life about my vision. My sight in one eye was 20/200 when I was growing up. Now that I'm growing old, it hasn't improved any!

There was such a feeling of panic when I had to have eye surgery recently. However, it turned out very well. If it ever looks like my vision is leaving, I will do as you suggest and go to a training center. Thanks for the article.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I so agree with Connie. It is great to have you here, Dean.

What Happens At A Training Center For The Blind is a very informative and well-written article. It helps those who are not facing blindness to better understand those who are.

It is so encouraging to know that programs like this exist.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
D
Shark
Shark
D
Hi, Phyllis. Thank you so much for the kind comments. I hope I can help in some small way to reasure those facing vision issues in their life. I don't know all of the answers but I have been searching and dealing with blindness for 10 years and have some life experience. Hopefully, my experiences will help some one else to find a way to deal with vision loss. I enjoy researching topics and issues dealing with blindness. Again thanks for the input! Best wishes always.

Dean Ingalls, Vision Issues Editor

vision issues homepage

vision issues forum

Remember to sign-up for the Vision Issues Newsletter to get weekly updates!
D
Shark
Shark
D
Hello, Connie. It is so nice to meet you! Thank you so much for the kind comments. I'm sorry to hear about your vision issues but am happy to ear that your recent surgery went well. Since you are dealing with a vision issue in one eye, you understand the importance of regular eye exams and taking care of your vision such as wearing shades when in bright sunlight. Also keeping the eyes moist and not letting them dry out. The Louisiana Center for the blind helped me to understand that my life was not over because I lost most of my vision but I just had to learn to live as a visually impaired person. Learning how to travel, organize the household, cook, and computer/technology gave me a new outlook and put the pride and self-worth back into my life. I would highly recommend training to anyone dealing with vision loss. Thank you for your input. Best wishes to you always!

vision issues homepage

vision issues forum

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
What a fantastic program! I am comforted to know this is out there. Blindness seems terrifying but i like the mental mindshift that it can be a nuisance instead. Just like any disability. Or at least that would be the goal to try.

Did you enjoy rafting and mountainclimbing? How was mardigras?

D
Shark
Shark
D
Hi, Jilly. The center was very progressive in their trainig program. The center's program has been called "The boot camp for the Blind!" While I was attending the center I went white water rafting(in Tennessee), rock climbing(in Arkansas), and attended a national convention in Louisville, Kentucky. The rafting was on the Oconee river where Olympic contenders practiced and was very intense. I had a great time. It is difficult to explain the feeling. Something like a roller coaster but wet. The rock climbing along the white river in Fayetteville, Arkansas was very hard. We climbed about a three story cliff. The center brought down a group of rock climbing instructors from Colorado to teach us how to climb and repel back down the cliff. Great fun! I have always been an active person especially in sporting events. I love cycling, biathlons, triathlons, swimming, hiking, and just about any form of sport from tennis, basketball, bowling to golf. After, losing my eyesight I thought I would not be able to do sports anymore but I was wrong. I discovered new ways to play the same sports I played before my vision loss. Life does not end with vision loss but you learn to overcome and live with the nuisance. Thanks for the question. If you know anyone dealing with vision loss and think they would attend the center's program let me know. They accept 40 students. Each student may spend from 3 months to one year in the program. As soon as one student completes the program they immediately enroll another student. They take students from all over the USA and the world. When I was enrolled we had a student from London, England. Best of luck!

vision issues homepage

vision issues forum

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Wow, Dean, that all sounds very exciting and useful. Thank you for the detailed response. What a forward-minded academy!

I know there are some blind oriented trails at different national parks and other natural areas. I would still hike if i could, i think.

I would think swimming would be an activity I'd do frequently.

Last edited by Jilly; 01/04/12 01:46 AM.
D
Shark
Shark
D
Hi, Jilly.
Swimming is an exercise which can be enjoyed by a large variety of the population from infants to the elderly of advanced age. In the building were I live there are several ladies in their 70's and 80's that swim several days a week all year. I still enjoy walking. I usually walk 1 to 3 miles at least 3 times a week. I think mobility is one of the most important health aspects in our lives especially as we enter the ages above 50.
I plan on visiting the exercise and health sites to learn more about exercise and fitness.

Thanks for your response.

vision issues homepage

vision issues forum

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.