Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
elina, lah123, jennifer888, Anne Seyer, RoseEnglish
57009 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57010 Members
417 Forums
112554 Topics
795758 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Rosie 66 732
Beetlemess 616
Karm - SW USA Editor 352
Nancy Roussy 178
Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 165
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 136
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 130
Allyson - USACook/HomeCook 128
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 115
Linu 104
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#737784 - 01/04/12 06:28 AM mercury dimes
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Loc: Verde Valley, AZ
I found a mercury dime I have been saving that I forgot all about. What are those worth? Are they hard to find?

Add mercury dimes to Twitter Add mercury dimes to Facebook Add mercury dimes to MySpace Add mercury dimes to Del.icio.us Digg mercury dimes Add mercury dimes to Yahoo My Web Add mercury dimes to Google Bookmarks Add mercury dimes to Stumbleupon Add mercury dimes to Reddit
#737786 - 01/04/12 06:28 AM Re: mercury dimes [Re: Jilly]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

Oh, it's from 1945.

Add Re: mercury dimes to Twitter Add Re: mercury dimes to Facebook Add Re: mercury dimes to MySpace Add Re: mercury dimes to Del.icio.us Digg Re: mercury dimes Add Re: mercury dimes to Yahoo My Web Add Re: mercury dimes to Google Bookmarks Add Re: mercury dimes to Stumbleupon Add Re: mercury dimes to Reddit
#749387 - 03/04/12 07:42 AM Re: mercury dimes [Re: Jilly]
wizphotogirl Offline

Loc: Montana
Hi Jill, I am new to this site and I found it because of your question on coins. I like to collect coins and my husband is into it big time hobby. I handle money at my job and I am always looking for that special coin. I just wanted to say never clean or polish a coin. Any added scratches takes value away from the coin. I found a 1920 wheat penny a couple of weeks ago and it is still in good shape. Another thing to look for is silver nickles and to tell this is to look on the back of the nickle and see if there is a mint mark above the dome of the building and if there is, this nickle has silver content in it. Happy hunting, wizphotogirl

Add Re: mercury dimes to Twitter Add Re: mercury dimes to Facebook Add Re: mercury dimes to MySpace Add Re: mercury dimes to Del.icio.us Digg Re: mercury dimes Add Re: mercury dimes to Yahoo My Web Add Re: mercury dimes to Google Bookmarks Add Re: mercury dimes to Stumbleupon Add Re: mercury dimes to Reddit
#749705 - 03/06/12 04:42 AM Re: mercury dimes [Re: Jilly]
wizphotogirl Offline

Just to update you on the mercury dimes, they are worth about $2.50 just in the silver content, but if the condition is great the value goes up!

#752473 - 03/20/12 11:09 PM Re: mercury dimes [Re: Jilly]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

that is great, whizphotogirl! Glad to see you here.

my dime has some old glue on the back face, but the front face seems nice. I have it wrapped up in cloth and ready to look at in the coin shop.

#752744 - 03/22/12 05:48 AM Re: mercury dimes [Re: Jilly]
wizphotogirl Offline

when going to a coin shop, always look around because each shop will give a different value on it and also the value changes according to the market exchange.

#753537 - 03/27/12 03:44 AM Re: mercury dimes [Re: Jilly]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

Good to know, thank you!

#753573 - 03/27/12 01:46 PM Re: mercury dimes [Re: Jilly]
Beetlemess Offline

Here's a website that discusses the types & value of silver coins:

Silver Coin Values

Also found a interesting note on Wikipedia under 'Junk Silver' heading - Silver U.S. coins that add up to $1.40 will yield one troy ounce of silver.

#761032 - 05/05/12 03:59 AM Re: mercury dimes [Re: Jilly]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

Thanks, Beetle. I took the dime in to the coin shop here and it seems to be worth the value of the silver.

I am hearing this is the time to buy silver, not sell. Anyone know what is going on?

#847055 - 12/04/13 08:57 PM Re: mercury dimes [Re: Jilly]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

The spot price of silver is now hovering around $19 an ounce, which is pretty cheap in my book.

I picked up a few mercury dimes at 17x face value from my local coin shop. I like having them. I also picked up some war nickels at a value under spot. smile

Moderator:  Gary-Coin Editor 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Replace one word... (new game)
by Allyson - USACook/HomeCook
Comedy Movies
0 seconds ago
Lisa's Daily 10pm EST / 8pm MST Meditation
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Meditation
27 minutes 5 seconds ago
Juicing / Smoothies book
Low Carb
55 minutes 9 seconds ago
Weekly Monday Weigh-In
Low Carb
58 minutes 29 seconds ago
Tadpoles
New England Travel
Today at 09:26 PM
Dealing with Busy and Drowsy Mind in Meditation
by Lisa - Buddhism
Buddhism
Today at 08:51 PM
5 Ways to Enjoy Summer with Chocolate Ice Cream
by Michelle -Chocolate
Chocolate
Today at 08:15 PM
Kidnapped Nigerian girls: should we get involved?
by Gordon Barlow
Human Rights
Today at 07:36 PM
Scandinavian summer
by Gordon Barlow
European Travel
Today at 07:21 PM
Replace one word (Music Titles)
by Ro Longstreet-Wicca
Comedy Movies
Today at 07:17 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 92 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.