There is still a lot of confusion around whether or not poinsettias are hazardous to pets or small children. It's frustrating but inevitable that people perpetuate longstanding beliefs like this one. The thought that poinsettias were deadly comes from 1919 when a two year old child child died from poisoning that was mistakenly attributed to the poinsettia.
Studies have proven that there are no toxins contained within the poinsettia that are lethal to either pets or people. Nobody has ever died from injesting poinsettia, in fact, some growers will actually eat leaves in front of tours to their greenhouses to demonstrate that point. They will tell you that it tastes so horrible, there is no need to worry about small children eating more than a tiny piece without spitting it back out.
The ASPCA website also confirms that poinsettias are not deadly to pets. Rest easy knowing your furry family members are safe at Christmas.
I hope this helps dispel some disease and that everyone had a Merry Christmas! Please check out my article on the care of poinsettia if you have a chance. Poinsettia