Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
Marie Stroman, azirajewels, Chrissy Brady-Smith, Emma Lomax, noahmiller2
57460 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57461 Members
417 Forums
113586 Topics
806658 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 07:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 417
Nancy Roussy 226
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 116
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 61
Jana - Creativity Editor 56
Mona - Astronomy 53
Beetlemess 49
Sandra Investing/HFinance 48
Susan - Meditation Editor 40
mary-tea1 21
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#607388 - 06/27/10 04:35 PM Getting Candle wax off fabric
Jane - Native American Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Loc: Southeast Georgia
I posted this question a while back and there were several good responses I wanted to try. But life got in the way of taking care of things and now I have an urgency.

I'm helping with a wedding July 10th and the bride wants to use some of the tablecloths I had neglected to take care of.

I have some small spots and large spots of white candle wax on polyester material. It's a light shade of lilac. The big chunks have been removed, but need to get the residual that melted into the cloth.

Any suggestions are most graciously appreciated.
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia

Add Getting Candle wax off fabric to Twitter Add Getting Candle wax off fabric to Facebook Add Getting Candle wax off fabric to MySpace Add Getting Candle wax off fabric to Del.icio.us Digg Getting Candle wax off fabric Add Getting Candle wax off fabric to Yahoo My Web Add Getting Candle wax off fabric to Google Bookmarks Add Getting Candle wax off fabric to Stumbleupon Add Getting Candle wax off fabric to Reddit
#607393 - 06/27/10 04:56 PM Re: Getting Candle wax off fabric [Re: Jane - Native American]
Phyllis Doyle Burns Offline
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Loc: Reno, NV
From eHow:

Scrape away as much wax as you can with a dull knife.

Place a sheet of butcher paper, glossy side up, or a portion of a brown paper bag on top of the wax.

Press the tip of a warm iron gently over the affected area until the wax melts and attaches to the paper.

Lift the paper from the fabric as it cools.

Dab a small amount of denatured alcohol onto the stain if any candle dye remains on the fabric.

Sponge with water.

Wash the fabric as usual.

Hope this works for you, lcp.

Add Re: Getting Candle wax off fabric to Twitter Add Re: Getting Candle wax off fabric to Facebook Add Re: Getting Candle wax off fabric to MySpace Add Re: Getting Candle wax off fabric to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Getting Candle wax off fabric Add Re: Getting Candle wax off fabric to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Getting Candle wax off fabric to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Getting Candle wax off fabric to Stumbleupon Add Re: Getting Candle wax off fabric to Reddit
#607402 - 06/27/10 06:15 PM Re: Getting Candle wax off fabric [Re: Phyllis Doyle Burns]
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Thanks Phyllis! I'll let you know how it works.

Add Re: Getting Candle wax off fabric to Twitter Add Re: Getting Candle wax off fabric to Facebook Add Re: Getting Candle wax off fabric to MySpace Add Re: Getting Candle wax off fabric to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Getting Candle wax off fabric Add Re: Getting Candle wax off fabric to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Getting Candle wax off fabric to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Getting Candle wax off fabric to Stumbleupon Add Re: Getting Candle wax off fabric to Reddit
#610069 - 07/09/10 10:42 AM Re: Getting Candle wax off fabric [Re: Jane - Native American]
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

After much experimentation and having to trash one of the table toppers, I ended up with a method that worked.

Scraping the wax with my fingernail was much better than a knife or an inverted spoon tip. It got more of the wax off and was less damaging to the weave of the fabric. These were large wax spots. Using the dull knife or spoon tip stretched the fabric too much.

I placed a piece of brown paper bag underneath and on top of the fabric and ironed with the tip of the iron on medium heat. Once the wax melted through the brown paper, I slid the fabric to a clean spot and repeated this process until no more wax transferred to the brown paper.

However, this still left a significant amount of wax residue on the fabric, which was not removed by the alcohol. I poured some multi-purpose cleaner/degreaser into a glass bowl and heated it in the microwave. As soon as I finished ironing a spot, I dipped it into the hot cleaner and rubbed the spot firmly with my fingers. That took care of the wax residue completely. I used Krud Kutter. It's the best degreaser I've found and is safe for most fabrics. It's also made here in Georgia.

I just finished ironing the clean table toppers for tomorrow's wedding. If you look at the fabric in bright light and at an angle, there is still a little sheen from the wax spots. However, with the table set, it will not be noticeable.

I need to contact the people who make Krud Kutter to let them know I've found yet another use for their product. Thanks Phyllis, your instructions got me in the right direction to success and helped me salvage over 20 table cloths and toppers.

#737401 - 01/02/12 11:58 PM Re: Getting Candle wax off fabric [Re: Jane - Native American]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

Loc: Verde Valley, AZ
On Solstice, Dan blew out the candle and spewed wax all over our expensive microfiber settee. I have been wanting to do the brown bag and iron thing, but do not own an iron. frown

#744643 - 02/04/12 06:34 PM Re: Getting Candle wax off fabric [Re: Jane - Native American]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

Loc: Verde Valley, AZ
Any ideas how i can clean this off without an iron?

#750550 - 03/10/12 10:12 PM Re: Getting Candle wax off fabric [Re: Jane - Native American]
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames Online   content
BellaOnline Editor

Dear Jilly -

An iron is just a smooth hot heavy item. Do you have any glass large measuring cup? Put water in it and microwave it. Now you have an iron smile

#750551 - 03/10/12 11:16 PM Re: Getting Candle wax off fabric [Re: Jane - Native American]
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee

Loc: Kansas USA
If you have an iron pan, you can heat that up. The measuring cup idea sounds good, too. Lisa is right. An iron is just a smooth, hot, heavy item.
Avatar: There is Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

Here is a link to my EBook.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

Moderator:  Tammy - Cleaning Editor 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Change a letter game - 6 letter edition
by Dorcy
Inspiration
Ogden garden verse game
by xmeecosmic
Container Gardening
09:35 AM
Where are you and how is the weather?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
09:02 AM
What will you do today?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
09:00 AM
2014 Eating Log
by Nancy Roussy
Low Carb
08:57 AM
What did you dream about last night?
by Nancy Roussy
Dreams
08:55 AM
Daily World Peace Group Meditation
by Susan - Meditation Editor
Meditation
08:21 AM
How do you begin your day?
by Mia Silky
Self Development
03:11 AM
The Geminids Are Coming!
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
03:04 AM
Do you prefer to go shopping online?
by Mia Silky
Fashion Jewelry
02:41 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
1 registered (Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames), 94 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.