Page 1 of 2 1 2
#737272 01/02/12 09:27 PM
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I need to go to get some new eyeglasses and i suppose an exam is a good idea. I am terrified of the puff test. What does that feel like?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
Shark
Shark
D
Hi, Jill. The puff test is very simple and does not hurt . They do exactly what you called the test. They blow a puff of air at your eye and check the reaction. The test helps determine if you have glacoma. Simple test everyone should take. thanks for the question!

Dean Ingalls, Vision Issues Editor

vision issues homepage

vision issues forum

Remember to sign-up for the Vision Issues Newsletter to get weekly updates!
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Thank you for your answer! smile That is comforting. I am very weird about things touching my eyes. I get all nauseous and fainty. I am worried that this one will freak me out.

D
Shark
Shark
D
Hi, Jill. Your welcome! Don't worry this is an easy one. I have no sight in my right eye due to a detached retina and a partially detached retina in the left eye. I have gone through 9 different surgeries on each eye trying to save my vision. I have light and dark vision with motion detection in the left eye. I am using the JAWS program - a screen reader program or assistive technology to use my computer. I have been amazed at the things I am able to accomplish with today's technology. Wishing you the best of luck with your vision and the puff test.

vision issues homepage

vision issues forum

Tiger
Tiger
Jilly, I had responded to another thread you had created - now I see Dean did answer your question about the "puff test" - so no need to respond in the other thread smile

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Dean, that is a lot of eye surgeries. You are very brave.

It's too bad they can't just reattach the retinas. I am sure it's more complicated than that, but still?

I am amazed at all the gadgets and advances in vision technology for the partially and non-sighted these days. How does your computer work. When you get a post in the forum, are you sent a notice, and does it read it out loud to you? I am curious about how this works.

D
Shark
Shark
D
Hi, Jilly. I agree. I have all of the working parts but it's like my eye has been unplugged. If they ever learn to reattach nerves such as the spinal cord I may have an opportunity to regain my vision. So, I stay up to date with medical advancements in hopes of one day some one will figure out how to reattach a broken retinal nerve. The assistive technology I use is called; "JAWS" - stands for - Job Access With Speech. The program is designed to allow a visually impaired/blind person to have access to a computer and the Internet. The program is a screen reader program. When something pops up on my monitor the JAWS program begins reading what's on the screen just as you would read a page in a book. The program begins reading from left to right across and down the monitor. The program uses the visible cursor along with two invisible cursors managed by keystrokes on the keyboard. I use my keyboard strokes in the same manner you use your mouse. Every key on the keyboard has approximately 3 or 4 functions. The program works in 3 modes allowing each key to perform a different function in each mode. Each mode reads a different part of the monitor. Example, PC mode reads the edit section of a word file, the JAWS cursor reads the functions above the edit section of a word file such as home, insert, paragraph, view, etc... and finally the invisible cursor reads the inside of any dialog box. I can click a key on the keyboard and the program tells me what's happening on the monitor and makes suggestions for what to do next. The only problem I experience deals with images and some alignment issues. Most of the websites are accessible with my program but there are some that are designed which are not compatible with a screen reader program. Almost everything I do is completed with the keyboard instead of a mouse. Hope this gives you an idea of how JAWS works. The company who manufactured the program is called Freedom Scientific and their website is: www.freedomscientific.com - they have several types of programs for people who are visually impaired and blind. Visually impaired people who can still use their vision on a computer usually, learn to use a screen magnification program. An example of a screen magnification program is called; "Magic". The program speakes to you and can enlarge or magnify an entire screen or parts of a screen. The user simply enlarges the monitor to a level they can see then moves around the screen using some of the same keystrokes I use. Hope this gives you an idea of how visually impaired/blind individuals use a computer and the Internet. Thanks for your interest in learning how a visually impaired/blind person uses technology. Best of luck always!

vision issues homepage

vision issues forum

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
That is very interesting; thank you!

D
Shark
Shark
D
I plan on including articles on different types of technology used by the visually impaired/blind for accessing the computer and Internet in the future.
Thanks for your interest.

vision issues homepage

vision issues forum

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I think that is a great idea - i bet many people would find that either useful or interesting (or both). smile

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Bring sunglasses for after because sometimes it takes a while for your eyes to go back to normal.

Violette DeSantis, Writely Applied
Blogs/Social Networking Editor
Small Office/Home Office Editor

Now writing at BloggingTips.com & Soaps.com. For updates visit videsantis.WritelyApplied.com.

"Energy rightly applied and directed will accomplish anything" ~ Nellie Bly
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Vi, is that from the puff test, or because they dilate the pupils?

D
Shark
Shark
D
Hi, Jilly and Vi.

Your thoughts about the dilation of the eyes.
In my experiences(many, many, many visits to the eye doctor) I was always informed by the doctors office when my eyes would be dialated and they would request I have some one with me.

I do not believe the puff test requires the eyes to be dialated. If you want to know for sure then calling the doctors office and ask them is the best way to find out.

Hope this helps.

I do know you should have the test. It's easy and gives you information about the health of your eyes.

Your friend who is always concerned about your vision!

vision issues homepage

vision issues forum

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.