logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#288186 01/17/07 05:44 PM
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Okay, here's the problem. I want to keep my 40lb bag of bird seed out on the deck, for easy access and to keep critters out of the house (moths, etc), but we also have black bear and raccoons that would love to get their little mitts on the seed. So, what I need is some kind of sturdy LOCKING weather proof (lots of rain here in WA) box that could hold such a large amount of seed. It would also need to be able to be screwed or bolted or chained to the deck or railing (bears run off with things). Is there such a holy grail? Any ideas?

Marian

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Zebra
Zebra
We put our dogfood in a galvanized trash can. We found it at a Tractor Supply. We keep it in the garage, and it keeps out bugs & mice just as it is.

I think it could be chained to your deck pretty easily. And, I think the lid could be re-engineered to lock somehow, but I don't have such critters, so I don't really know. But, I can image drilling small holes through the lid & the can & running a chain through the holes and locking it.

We recently visited the Smokies, and people living in the mountains actually built cages for their trash cans to keep bears out.

Good Luck!

BellaDeb #293362 02/18/07 12:57 PM
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I would look into a bear box or something, also ask at your local CoOperative Extention (Usually organized by a local university with an agricultural department), or even local state parks might have ideas for you. Another person to ask in your area would be wildlife control.
I second the galvanized trash can...but I know that a bear could easily tear into the metal to eat the high protein/fat dog food if they really wanted to.

Wendy Lee
Houseplants Editor
Click here to read the story of our foster dog, Colbert.
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
I have a plastic trash can with side locking lid handles for my catfood. I don;t have bears or raccoons to worry about, so this works for me and the kitties.

Jilly #734809 12/28/11 01:07 AM
Our State Parks here in Nevada have garbage cans that are 'bear proof'. They would hold plenty of bird seed.

Here is a link that might help: BEAR PROOF GARBAGE CANS

You can check with your State Park department up there to find out the best place to get one. I used to live in Washington and my Dad kept pet food and bird seed in big wooden boxes he made with padlocks on them.

Last edited by Phyllis - Appalachia; 12/28/11 01:08 AM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
With bird seed you'd also want to ensure that vermin can't get in - squirrels and mice, for example.

Raccoons are crafty critters, I bet it there was combo lock on it, they'd just keep trying numbers until they got it open. smile

Moderated by  KellyJayne - Organization 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.