Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Sewing for charity is a wonderful way of using your skills to help others. In order to make it easier to find one that fits your particular interests, I have put together a comprehensive list of charitable organizations organized by category.

Charity Sewing - Infants and Children

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
Tammy, that is a wonderful resource list. Thanks so very much for posting it. I'm going to print it out with the url to your article to post on my pediatrician's bulletin board, my church's bulletin board and to pass out to my quilting group.

While I'm at it, I'm going to post it on my Facebook page. I know quite a few ladies who are just learning to knit and crochet who would probably be happy to contribute items. The little hats, booties and blankets might have a dropped stitch, the blanket may not be perfectly square or perhaps the gauge may be uneven but all items would be usable.

The thought of a single baby being cold should be enough to motivate anyone to start stitching! With only a little yarn, some fabric and time a child can be made more comfortable. Who wouldn't want to be on board with that?

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
I am glad you are finding it useful. I have several other categories to upload as well. I was amazed at how many organization are out there working hard to help others. Several years ago, I sewed for Newborns in Need and found it very rewarding.

Gecko
Gecko
I've been involved in several groups in the past, one knitting group and one crochet group, that after the basics were covered seemed to drift because of a lack of purpose. I believe that if the members had had a commong goal such as providing items for babies in need that would have motivated everyone and kept up the momentum.

So many of the people involved before were homemakers who have now moved away or started working full-time so it's probably too late for the same members to re-form. My hope is that others will see the list on the bulletin boards and be inspired to get something going! On my way to the store, I'm also going to drop by the local 4H office and the high school to post it to see if there are some young people who might like to learn these skills for a good cause.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Tamara,

I used to work in a labor and delivery unit and was the one in charge of collecting supplies for the moms that experienced pregnancy loss. We received a box in the mail, once, from a local group that made blankets for fetuses that had passed. I know from experience that L&D units don't usually get many of these donations and they are very necessary. My biggest problem at the time, was most of the items we received were too large for some of the smallest babies I needed to wrap. We would wrap and dress the little ones so moms could hold them and start the grieving process. Sometimes I needed a blanket no bigger than 8 inches across! I think almost any hospital would gladly accept these tiny donations, because most people don't even think about this need and the tiny scale required.

M
M
Thanks

Last edited by mack; 01/02/12 06:28 AM.

Moderated by  Cheryl - Sewing Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.