Print Thread
J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J

A very warm welcome to the Self Development Forum !

There are many advantages of asking people interesting questions, e.g., to break the ice with strangers, to find out more about someone's true self, to be remembered, etc. This self development article lists some questions that are a little different from the norm and could take your conversations into new and unexpected directions!

See: Interesting Questions To Ask Someone

* What are some of your favourite ice-breaking questions?
* What questions do you use to learn more about someone�s true self?

I'd love to receive your feedback so do add your comments, queries, thoughts, etc., to this Forum thread. I look forward to hearing from you!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Hi Joy. This is a very helpful article for this time of year when there are so many gatherings and parties going on. The list of questions you present are very helpful to promote good conversations and, as you say, "find out more about someone's true self, and be remembered".

I attend a lot of family gatherings in the winter and quite often new people (friends of family members) are introduced. It is quite awkward for the new person in such a large family, so we break the ice slowly so as not to make the person feel attacked by everyone at once. We let the introductions go by, and take pressure off the friend by not asking questions in front of everyone -- when the conversations start up with others, one of us will start talking with the friend casually to just help them relax. Usually by the end of the party the new person feels quite comfortable and a part of the family.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
G
Gecko
Gecko
G
hello, i actually never ask questions cause i have the impression to take the person and the natural apart,i just let things happen and also if something has to be said it will be said.one of the things i always do which might seem natural to other people is to ask the persons name,so i can talk with anyone without asking any name and like to let the mystery develop and also feel like taking a leap of faith with the person.i myself don t like people to ask me question cause i feel questions are most of the time related to answers that are out of context.i like the slow discovery.i think for example that there is a big gap between saying what you do and actually doing it and i couldn t or with discomfort answer any question about myself,unless it is a question that isn t usually asked when you meet someone new,like name where you re coming from or what do you do?.i think the best way to know someone s true self is not to ask any questions eventhough no introductions might make people uncomfortable,and to let the person step forward by herself.some people might feel hurt thinking they are ignored and noone notices them and this also tells a lot about the person.every single bit is informative even silence can tell something about a persons true self.it is important to let things happen outside any kind of convention so that people go beyond what hey know if they want to because you break the habit to let something more natural shine through.i m always very much interested in the true self of the person but not the facade so i usually wait til there s a breakthrough.i understand also that some persons might be shy and that some persons don t feel at ease either at the beginning but there too i let them come forward and take the decision cause this tells more about the person s true self than anything else.during a gathering i don t lke it very much when someone asks me questions or tries to do everything do make me feel relaxed cause it makes a bit uncomfortable.

J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Originally Posted By: Phyllis - Appalachia

Re: Interesting Questions To Ask Someone

Hi Joy. This is a very helpful article for this time of year when there are so many gatherings and parties going on. The list of questions you present are very helpful to promote good conversations and, as you say, "find out more about someone's true self, and be remembered"...

Hi Phyllis, many thanks for your feedback on the article and also on how you approach new people at family gatherings. Your get-togethers sound most peaceful and inviting! (JOY)

J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Originally Posted By: gemineye006
...i think the best way to know someone s true self is not to ask any questions eventhough no introductions might make people uncomfortable,and to let the person step forward by herself.some people might feel hurt thinking they are ignored and noone notices them and this also tells a lot about the person.every single bit is informative even silence can tell something about a persons true self...
From the sound of it, you are good at picking up behavioural signals from people, and resonating with their �vibes� especially during silent periods. It's interesting to hear your experience on this topic. (JOY)

I loved this article! As a mom, I am always looking for interesting dinner conversation starters and many of these would work great for something like that. I know that is not how they are intended in this article, but many of them are pretty thought-provoking and insightful. Even though we may see our family members every day, many of the answers to these questions would help bring people even closer together.

Megan Faulkner
Attachment Parenting
J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Originally Posted By: Megan - Attached Parent

Re: Interesting Questions To Ask Someone

I loved this article! As a mom, I am always looking for interesting dinner conversation starters and many of these would work great for something like that. I know that is not how they are intended in this article, but many of them are pretty thought-provoking and insightful...

Hi Megan, I am delighted you loved the article. You are quite right � you can use these questions with new people as well as with those you have known for a while. Not everyone will feel they can ask every question. My list of questions was really just to stimulate thinking in new directions. (JOY)

N
N
I normally first ask if they have any idols or watch Hockey or things like that, if that person has an interest that is also mine or they are interested in something I know of or want to learn about then it is easier for me to start talking.

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.