Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
Uzzal Hossain, tmelton, Calypso, ninahaska, ovinovin7
56556 Registered Users
Forum Stats
56557 Members
417 Forums
111411 Topics
785856 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Beetlemess 275
Nancy Roussy 172
loongdragon 154
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 140
Rosie 66 140
James Andrew 99
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 97
Lestie4containergardens 56
Allyson - USACook/HomeCook 54
Mona - Astronomy 48
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#733098 - 12/22/11 07:26 PM Book Details Dangers of the 'E-Personality
ExerciseEditor Offline
Elephant

"The next time you're about to leave a snarky comment on someone's blog or give up an hour to bid for things you don't need on eBay, consider this: What you do and the self you create online could be forever changing the person you really are.

The Internet may connect us in unprecedented ways, and it may put more information at our fingertips than ever before. But just as it's changing how the world works, one psychiatrist says it may be irreparably altering how our personalities develop."

Are You Your Avatar? Book Details Dangers of the 'E-Personality

I want to read this book now. Fascinating stuff! I bet a new psychology to deal with this will emerge soon. Most people don't even know who they are anymore unless they're plugged into a computer or device of some kind.

Edited by ExerciseEditor (12/22/11 07:29 PM)

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

Add Book Details Dangers of the 'E-Personality to Twitter Add Book Details Dangers of the 'E-Personality to Facebook Add Book Details Dangers of the 'E-Personality to MySpace Add Book Details Dangers of the 'E-Personality to Del.icio.us Digg Book Details Dangers of the 'E-Personality Add Book Details Dangers of the 'E-Personality to Yahoo My Web Add Book Details Dangers of the 'E-Personality to Google Bookmarks Add Book Details Dangers of the 'E-Personality to Stumbleupon Add Book Details Dangers of the 'E-Personality to Reddit
#733102 - 12/22/11 07:34 PM Re: Book Details Dangers of the 'E-Personality [Re: ExerciseEditor]
Lori - Marriage Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Loc: Orange, CA USA
Wow, Monica. Fascinating stuff, indeed. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

BellaOnline.com Marriage
Twitter: @BellaMarriage

Dreams editor
Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Add Re: Book Details Dangers of the 'E-Personality to Twitter Add Re: Book Details Dangers of the 'E-Personality to Facebook Add Re: Book Details Dangers of the 'E-Personality to MySpace Add Re: Book Details Dangers of the 'E-Personality to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Book Details Dangers of the 'E-Personality Add Re: Book Details Dangers of the 'E-Personality to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Book Details Dangers of the 'E-Personality to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Book Details Dangers of the 'E-Personality to Stumbleupon Add Re: Book Details Dangers of the 'E-Personality to Reddit
#733103 - 12/22/11 07:40 PM Re: Book Details Dangers of the 'E-Personality [Re: ExerciseEditor]
ExerciseEditor Offline
Elephant

I used to think real people were so fake but now I realized they're so real compared to most of what you encounter online. This statement says it all "in social media, the higher-order, instinct-policing superego "has gone AWOL."

The Internet's Wild West-like promise of opportunity fosters delusions of grandeur, he writes. Its focus on personalization and "friend"-accumulation feeds narcissism. Its anonymous culture leads to what he calls "ordinary everyday viciousness."

This is so true. I encounter this here daily when I post something interesting usually somebody comes in and trashes what I posted or has something snarky to say. I'm guilty of this too but I'm aware of it and I try to control it. Most people just don't even realize they're doing it.

Edited by ExerciseEditor (12/22/11 07:41 PM)

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

Add Re: Book Details Dangers of the 'E-Personality to Twitter Add Re: Book Details Dangers of the 'E-Personality to Facebook Add Re: Book Details Dangers of the 'E-Personality to MySpace Add Re: Book Details Dangers of the 'E-Personality to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Book Details Dangers of the 'E-Personality Add Re: Book Details Dangers of the 'E-Personality to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Book Details Dangers of the 'E-Personality to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Book Details Dangers of the 'E-Personality to Stumbleupon Add Re: Book Details Dangers of the 'E-Personality to Reddit
#767768 - 06/12/12 12:30 PM Re: Book Details Dangers of the 'E-Personality [Re: ExerciseEditor]
HappyMe09 Offline

Needed to reply to this. It is a wonder! I worry about those that follow people around. Mods/admins that have access to isps - and have all the information perhaps from a forum. I have had friends complain about this. They have joined a forum, let's say about moms/parenting, made comments about THEIR life situation and the "fight" ensues!! Then, since they use the same "name" or identifiers, they are found in other places, and even FACEBOOK!! It is worrisome. For you Do NOT know who/what type of personality you may be dealing with. I once made a comment on a "private" facebook gathering of friends that I had no one from a previous forum we had all belonged to as friends on facebook. Suddenly TWO popped in to say hi at the same time. (I didn't even remember them for facebook is REAL names and I couldn't recall them!) So, I learned then that the "private" gathering of "friends" from a forum wasn't so PRIVATE and I came away feeling they were divulging everything and anything I may have said about others from that forum (but without THEIR comments) They are all admins/mods on other forums. Use extreme caution always. :)

Moderator:  Dr J Webb - Mental Health 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Ten Healthy Substitutions When Baking
by Michelle -Chocolate
Chocolate
21 minutes 45 seconds ago
Soup du jour
by Susan - Meditation Editor
Sandwiches
Today at 04:30 AM
What will you do today?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
Today at 02:34 AM
2014 Eating Log
by Nancy Roussy
Low Carb
Today at 02:31 AM
What did you dream about last night?
by Nancy Roussy
Dreams
Today at 02:27 AM
Frugal Sewing Basics
by John Alexander
Sewing
Today at 01:16 AM
How to Thread a Sewing Machine
by John Alexander
Sewing
Today at 01:14 AM
How to Read a Sewing Pattern
by John Alexander
Sewing
Today at 01:11 AM
Learn to Sew a Table Runner
by John Alexander
Sewing
Today at 01:07 AM
The Goddess
by Debbie-SpiritualityEditor
Spirituality
Yesterday at 09:12 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
2 registered (Izeigo, Mona - Astronomy), 53 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.