#725457 11/14/11 11:12 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

First came the plastic cork, now get ready for the paper wine bottle

What do you think of this idea Peter?

Have tried wine that came in a box several times and been less than impressed, but perhaps that had less to do with the wine and more with the thought.

Plastic corks seem to have caught on in some markets, so do you think a paper bottle will also have its fans?

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
F
F
Paper wine bottles, I don't know. My first impression is that it would be tacky, so people that enjoy a great bottle of wine might put their noses up if you showed up with a paper bottle. I just had an image of a hobo drinking out of a paper bag.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Good question -- but in fact the paper is an outer wrapping, the actual container is plastic.

So abandon any idea of throwing the empty bottle in with the newspapers for recycling!

And can you put it in the plastic recycle bin if its covered with paper?

Seems to me that its another idea that's getting publicity based on a false premise.

We have had for more than 20 years wine in a box (cardboard box contining a bladder of wine) and in tetrapaks - the cardboard container used for fruit juices and milk, so I don't think the idea is revolutionary.

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
A
Gecko
Gecko
A
Hello All,

Interesting about the paper wine bottle, but I suppose I am a purist and have yet to ever purchase wine in a box so I doubt I'd buy it in a paper bottle.

Mon Dieu! Would a paper bottle also house champagne? Yikes! What would Dom Perignon think of this development!!!!

smile

Anna - AHHA
F
Gecko
Gecko
F
"I suppose I am a purist and have yet to ever purchase wine in a box"

A purist ... so, buying your wine in open top amphorae covered with a layer of oil to keep it fresh? Yeah, things just aren't like they used to be.

I have heard/read good things about "boxed wine" recently, but I must confess I have only tasted a couple of examples (which ones they were I do not recall). What I do recall is that they were ordinary (shall we say pedestrian), drinkable wines.

Among my problems with this format - boxes - is that the size of the packaging makes them seem less inexpensive than they are. The boxes often contain 3-5 liters. When I am purposefully seeking an inexpensive wine, I'm looking to walk away after having broken a 10-spot and received some change.

The problem is when six $5 bottles of wine are packed into one 5-liter box it costs $30. When I'm buying cheap wine, I don't want to spend $20-30 on one "package" of wine, be it a bladder in a box or a gallon jug of Elmo Pio (actually, to be fair to Elmo Pio, whose son attended school with my father, I'm pretty sure his wines sell for far less than $30 a gallon)

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
It's nearly always inexpensive wine that is put in bag-in-box...

I know people who like to keep a box so they can have a glass any time. Since the inner bag collapses as wine is drawn out and the tap is supposed to be airtight, it means the wine stays fresh for much longer than it would if you opened a bottle.

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book

Moderated by  Peter - Wine 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.