#732306 12/20/11 08:21 AM
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
I just read a great book- The Power of Less by Leo Babauta. I'm implementing his key strategies for living a saner, less stressful, but more effective life. The main one I'm focussing on is to set a maximum of three important tasks per day and then do them one at a time with focus and no sidetracking. I'm getting loads of satisfying work done and minimising the 'busy-work'.

Have a look at my book review:
The Power of Less

You might want to share your own ideas for saner living here smile

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
I've learned that living with less is liberating. But now I will try your suggestion of setting a "maximum" of three important tasks per day.

For one thing, I will feel more accomplished. Typically, I never feel good about what I've done because I'm staring at an endless list of things I "should" have gotten done.

Nice article. Thanks!

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
I can pretty much manage to get one important thing done a day. Some days it needs to be a small important thing. About once or twice a week I can do a big important thing.

Loved your review!

L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
That's great! I think it is a really helpful way to work- I'm a list maker too and of course normally there is far too much on the list. You can still jot down things on a list if you want to remember all those little tasks, but you target your three (or less!) important tasks for the day and do them first. I am not a very stressed person, but I have felt more relaxed and accomplished over the last few days- good feeling!

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
In keeping with this "three max" task list, today I will...

1. Meet the daughters of an old high school friend. They're coming over to decorate a gingerbread house and have lunch which I had put in a crockpot last night. Also making these sweet peppermint rimmed milk glasses and jingle bell necklaces.
2. Make some gift tags for my homemade jalapeno jelly jars.
3. Take my daughter to see the Christmas lights at Disneyland after dinner...last day before my pass gets blocked out for the holiday week.

Uh oh. I also am working on my book right now, in between checking emails and posting in forums. Can't help it. Three is too few! I will postpone the label making until tomorrow. Thanks for this max three idea! It's helping me to de-stress. Now, if I can restrict chasing emails and posting to once a day...

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I think forum posting is fun, so maybe you can not see that as 'counting'?

L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
You could allow yourself a 'fun break' between each of the three tasks which might be here in the forum if that is enjoyable- just don't lose track of the time wink Leo suggests you can cut down gradually on email checking- so if you normally say I'll 'just check my email' 5 times a day reduce it to 3 and see if that works. His advice is make the changes easy for yourself or you'll give up and be back at square one.

Today I will...
Help with the accounts
Review a deck of bird cards so I have an article 'written ahead'
Take my daughter for an appointment she has.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Hi Lauren

Only three tasks a day! I can do that, the other 97 tasks can take their turn. I try to keep my life as simple as I can but sometimes in life there are periods when so many things need 'doing' that nothing actually gets 'done'. So three tasks a day is a good challenge.

Thanks Lauren

Today:

I will sit patiently and wait for news of my dog Murphy who is having his leg amputated this morning. (sorry for the downer)

I will spend time with my three other dogs and appreciate them.

I will thank God for everything he has given me in my life.

The rest can wait till my puppy comes home.

Blessings to you all

Last edited by Linda - Islam; 12/23/11 06:20 AM.

Linda Heywood

L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
Poor old Murphy! Hope he is back with you soon. On the plus side I have seen a good number of three leggeds doing rather well. My old one eyed cat used to hang out with a three legged feline friend on our street. Wish I'd taken a photo!

I'm finding the simplifying really stress reducing. I did vary it a bit yesterday and took care of a few little jobs whilst in town for my daughter's appointment- but that was okay, less hassle than tripping to and fro! I may need to allot one day a week for all the little but necessary jobs that would pile up if I didn't do them.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.