Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Are opening any special wines this Christmas?

On the day itself I'll be at friends who have promised they'll be pouring (the delicious and expensive) Ruinart Champagne as aperitif but I don't know what they've chosen for the main course.

Next day I'll be opening a 2008 Lytton Springs Zinfandel from my favourite producer, Ridge, a generous gift from a special friend.

What about you?

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
Hi Peter:

Do folks still use wine coolers that are usually located in the basement/cellar?

I don't drink, but my boyfriend does and I am sure will be celebrating with some kind of wine - usually red. Now he gets them from the store, not the old vintage like the ones I see on TV.

Is there an expiration date on wine?

LOL, as you can see, I know nothing about wine but working on learning since meeting Sylvester.

A
Gecko
Gecko
A
Hello,

Peter your champagne and zinfandel sound enticing. I've never had the Ruinart, but prefer Veuve Cliquot champagne, the "widow."

I'm not sure as of yet since we will be visiting and dining with relatives but I imagine we'll have both white - chardonnay or riesling and red -- probably merlot.

I'd love to have a bellini - champagne or prosecco and peach puree, but the brother in law specializes in cosmos.

Going to the liquor store is on the last minute list.

Cheers to one and all.

Have a happy!

Anna - AHHA
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Originally Posted By: Angela J. Shirley

Do folks still use wine coolers that are usually located in the basement/cellar?

I think the idea is that if you have a cellar then you don't need any extra equipment to store wine. Unfortunately I don't have cellar so I have a 'Eurocave' wine aging fridge, plus tsore in a spare bedroom closet and the downstairs toilet.

Originally Posted By: Angela J. Shirley
Is there an expiration date on wine?

Some supermarket wine labels now say best drunk within a year of purchase, but no - there is no expiration date on wine. Some wines will age for many years and, in the opinion of those that like the taste of old wines -- they are improved by aging.

More than 99% of wines are ready for drinking from purchase and few will improve with aging.

Last edited by Peter - Wine; 12/20/11 12:55 PM.

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
F
Gecko
Gecko
F
re: "Is there an expiration date on wine"

As peter notes, generally speaking not as such.

That is not to say that wine does not "expire", IOW, reach a time/date when it is no longer good to drink. All wine reaches this point eventually, but this can be surprisingly early with some wines.

By "surprisingly early" I mean within just a few years of when the wine was made. This usually indicates a problem with the wine-making or the storage of the wine. Wine should NOT go "off" within three years, but you may (if you buy enough you will) find some.

Beyond those wines that have gone bad early, plenty of wines will have been over-aged by the time five years have passed

That's why the best bet is to "Drink up!"

F
Gecko
Gecko
F
Mmm - Lytton Springs. Heck, mmm - Ridge Zins. Cannot beat 'em.

I'll be having roast duck and my favorite accompaniment to roast duck is a red Burgundy (Pinot Noir) with a little age.

I'll be pulling the cork on a 1990 Domaine Ampeau Volnay-Santenots.

21 years - old enough to drink in any state!

Just goes to show - notwithstanding my post above, some wines do age gracefully.

Last edited by FrankJBN; 12/20/11 03:48 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

This wine has agood reputation for bottle development, though I have no personal experience -- Lets hope it has aged gracefully,and that the cork is good smile

This is a special wine and I look forward to reading your report on how it tasted,

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
Tiger
Tiger
Thanks for the feedback!

A
Gecko
Gecko
A
Originally Posted By: FrankJBN
I'll be having roast duck and my favorite accompaniment to roast duck is a red Burgundy (Pinot Noir) with a little age.

I'll be pulling the cork on a 1990 Domaine Ampeau Volnay-Santenot

Hi Frank.

The pairing of food and wine choice sound perfect... you give me the sense that you're an oenophile!

Is the Volnay not produced in the region near Meursault? Meursault remains one of my favorite white wines that I was fortunate enough to enjoy in the village on a wine tour.

Have you tried Dr. Konstantin Frank's wines from the Finger Lakes Region of NY state?

Last edited by anna*AHHA* Ruscult*; 12/21/11 12:18 PM.

Anna - AHHA
F
Gecko
Gecko
F
sorry for not responding sooner - in answer to your questions, yes and no.

That is, yes, the Volnay-Santenots are produced just north of Meursault, my understanding is actually within the Meursault appellation geographic area, but who would buy a red Meursault?

No, to the Konstantin Frank wines. The couple of things that have kept me from these are first, I don't think the wines are especially widely distributed so I have no recollection of ever having actually seen the wines, and second, eh, honestly I just don't think of it.

You mention them here and I think, oh yeah, Konstantin Frank, huge name in American viticulture, fine reputation for fine wines, I should try a Riesling or two from this maker. Then, later, when I am buying wine, it kind of slips my mind.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Peter - Wine 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.