L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
Biblical Translations Examined

What do you think? Do you have a favorite translation? What do you look for when buying a Bible for yourself or a loved one?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
The following article presents a brief history and also gives a summary of some of the popular translations that you will find in your local bookstore.

Why do many churches use different translations article

L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
Part 2 of the Bibles series: This week, I examine two Bibles that are better left on the bookstore shelf.

Better Left on the Shelf

BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
I agree with you about the New World Translation bible. I don't own one but I often look up verses online in several translations that I don't have to see the differences. The NWT is often so weak that the verse loses all meaning.

I haven't seen the others you mentioned.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
Hi Lynne! Yes, the NWT was definitely re-written to convey the group's dogma rather than God's word. In court, a chief translator was unable to translate anything from a different language. He basically had to admit that he lacked the linguistic ability. The other members of the "expert" panel that made the NWT were also not truly experts having fudged their credentials.

The two bibles reviewed this week were not necessarily inaccurate scriptural representations (aside from the NIV). With so many bibles available, I was looking at the "extras" that are included. In my opinion, these bibles were bulky and there are better bibles out there with "extras" that have more to offer.

Last edited by Lyn-Christian Lit; 07/19/11 10:32 PM.
L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
This week completes the series. I've posted reviews to the two Bibles that I liked. They can be found here....
Master Study Bible

Woman's Study Bible

I liked the "extras" that were included and I liked the translations (KJV and NKJV).

L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
Ok...I mentioned it in the article. But, just what is a Ketubah?

A Kettubah is a marital contract. The groom writes it (or has it written) and signs it along with two witnesses. It is then given to his bride. In it, it spells out his intentions. He specifies everything from moral responsibilities, conjugal rights, etc. The document was actually to protect the woman's financial rights in the event of the groom's death or cases of divorce.

The following link provides more detailed information...

Kettubah contract

I personally prefer the NASB. As an early Christian, all I wanted was something that I could read easily without having to learn Old English. As I have grown, I have come to learn that picking a Bible translation really is one of the most important matters you will ever handle. How accurate the translation is will, in effect, determine how accurate your theology is. How accurate your theology is, in effect, determines how close (and accurate) your walk with God will be. The NASB is from the Alexandrian manuscripts which is important. Many cling to the KJV despite how many times it has been proven that the Byzantine manuscripts (from which we get Textus Receptus) are less reliable. I also like how they stick to more of a word for word translation to ensure the closest possible accuracy. While there are many good translations out there, The NASB & the ESV are my 2 preferred Bibles. Oddly enough, both stem from the RSV.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
I like the NASB and the KJV. Someone once said Billy Grahm uses the NASB. I'm not sure how true that is; however, I know a lot of pastors who do.

I agree with you that choosing a translation will determine how accurate your theology is. Paraphrases...thought for thought...translations often leave out key words. Many will argue it is just semantics.

Moderated by  Lyn-Christian Lit 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.