logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#730869 12/14/11 06:26 AM
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
I am a member of a local birding group here on the Cape and we keep getting reports of bald eagles at Ashumet and Mashpee-Wakeby ponds in Mashpee Massachusetts.

I swing by now and then trying to get a look but so far I have had no luck at spotting them.

They were here last year as well and I've heard that locals were "bowling" with chicken carcasses on the ice to draw the eagles in closer for photos.

One local resident took some amazing photos.

*EDIT* and a quick search confirms the rumors. These are not my videos but are available on Youtube.

Bald Eagles in Mashpee Ma.

Bald Eagles Mashpee Ma. on ice

Last edited by Lynn-NewEnglandTravel; 12/14/11 06:39 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
How exciting Lynn, I bet you could write a book about your participation in this group. Talk soon!

C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
Lynn, will you be doing the Mid-Cape Christmas Bird Count? I've done that one and the Buzzard's Bay count in the past. Lots of good birds to see there in the winter!

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Angela, I am always wishing for the spare time to do pictorial books on many subjects related to Cape Cod. Birds, wildlife, stonewalls, old inns and cemeteries come immediately to mind.

Birding here is truly a rewarding pastime. I have been really surprised by how quickly bird populations change here. In the past two years my yard was filled all summer long with large flocks of goldfinches and bluebirds. The bluebirds now winter over in large numbers. This week at work we had a flock of them just outside the window that had to be at least 15 of them all at once. Ten years ago we rarely saw them and usually only for a few weeks while they were passing through to somewhere else.

Claybird, I have never participated in a count but I have read up on it and considered it. I only recently became this interested in seriously stalking our feathered friends. I'm sure that my neighbors consider me "eccentric" by now as I frequently hide in my little hot tub which is 5 feet from my best bird feeders. This in itself isn't so eccentric, it's the Gillgan cap and binoculars that looks odd. I have gotten alot of good close-up photos this way. The birds seem to be attracted to the steamy water and they come very close.

My Backyard Birding Photos

Tiger
Tiger
Love your backyard birding photos - thanks for sharing Lynn!

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
We only get a single bluebird every few years ... How do you lure them in?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.