Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#730136 12/11/11 12:42 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
The latest English Culture article is about St Thomas Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury. He is remembered on 29 December � the day he was murdered by four of King Henry II�s men in Canterbury Cathedral.

Murder In The Cathedral

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
Gecko
Gecko
A
Hi Asha,

The title of your article caught my eye -- it was interesting, especially since the murder was committed in a House of God! What a terrible "misunderstanding."

Strangely enough, December 29, 1916 is also the date that Rasputin was murdered.

Peace.

Anna - AHHA
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Anna I had no idea - how interesting that two church men, centuries apart and in different parts of the world, should be murdered on the same day...

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

A
Gecko
Gecko
A
They say there is no such thing as coincidence!

And Rasputin, I guess we're still figuring out if he was a saint or a sinner...or somehwere in between?!

Anna - AHHA
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Thomas Becket was given the title of saint... Yet my understanding is that his halo grew brighter after his death.

Rasputin I know less about - have you done an article on him? If so please let me have the link, if not it would be great to know more about him.

Last edited by Asha - Scot./Eng. Culture; 12/12/11 05:08 PM.

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

A
Gecko
Gecko
A
Hi Asha,

I'm working on a few articles on Rasputin: the more I research, the more interesting his tale becomes.

At the present time, I've done an introduction in a piece about Siberia, his birthplace.

Here is the link:
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art57273.asp

Thanks for asking.

Last edited by anna*AHHA* Ruscult*; 12/13/11 09:10 PM.

Anna - AHHA
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Anna what a beautiful, evocative article - your writing is poetic and has a strong sense of place - it was as if I could see the landscape you were describing. I'd love to learn more about Rasputin and look forward to your articles about him.

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

A fascinating article Asha. Thomas Becket was much maligned, remember being very sad about his life when learnt about him in our history classes. He tried hard to 'do good' and was murdered for his trouble, a tragic waste even though I suppose it was not such an unusual occurrence in those days.

Have heard pupils don't learn much in the way of history in British schools, their own or that of any country, do you happen to know if this is true? If so then it is a shame, we can all learn and profit so much from knowing about the past, positive and negative don't you think?

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Francine growing up with a mother who was an English teacher I remember Murder In The Cathedral on the bookshelves from when I was young. Because I asked about the book it also meant I knew Thomas Becket's story. We also had The Canterbury Tales on the bookshelves, so I learned about the link with them to Thomas Becket's tomb.

Your question about history taught in British schools prompted me to look up the National Curriculum. You might find this link interesting (people would normally be doing Key Stage 3 around the age of 14). Key Stage 3 History - Range and Content

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Yes the curriculum really looks very impressive Asha, but from what I understand in many, some say in the majority, of the State schools it is not kept to. History in any depth is not taught very often, and it is also not regulated in as much as checking to see if it is being taught correctly.

A bit like languages, they also are not considered a necessary subject at the moment because of course English is a world language. Fact is one learns a lot about a people from even knowing a few words of their language.

English history is fascinating as is the history of the world, if the National Curriculum as it stands was followed throughout the school system that would certainly be an enormous step forward.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I have to say when I found it I thought the National Curriculum was impressive too! And recognised that what it says on the tin is not what comes out of the box...

I find it interesting to see how much I am enjoying researching history as an adult, often reremembering things I learned at school. For me one of the keys was good historical fiction - it helped bring history alive, and encouraged me to explore the eras of books I read.

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Sarah - English Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.