Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
#729769 12/09/11 01:38 AM
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
I would love to hear about your vacation in Germany and Austria. What were your favorite places you visited? It must be beautiful over there. Did you scale the mountains?

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
Hi Phyllis:

Yes he is back, noticed in the Walking Forum.

He was missed BIG TIME by Rosie as they both have kept the Walking game going.

When I was the editor for that forum, I had asked about the game as it was pages and pages long...

Needless to say, it continues and Lisa reassured me it would not crash the forum(lol).

I had to stop by and add my "two cents"....

Beetle, I had no idea you went to Germany until I asked where you were in the Walking forum game - welcome back and YES, I too want to hear how it went.

Hey, got any pictures...

Pictures... Yes, lots of pictures were taken. Resolution of the wife's digital SLR seems to make files that approach 5Mb each; not very friendly for posting or e-mailing. Until they are available, a simple search of images on the internet can whet your appetite.

Scaled mountains? Did eat some trout in Austria, but I didn't see many scales on it. Had to 'scale' the luggage since it was limited to 50 lbs each with all the 'booty' coming back. Region has not received the usual October snows to generate ski resort opening. Pretty sad, but made for many attractions being fully operational.

Every location has it's place in my heart & memories, with these making the largest impact...

- Innsbruck was her trip to Swarovski World & mine was the cogtrain/cable gondolas trip to the Hafelekarspitze ridgeline over looking Innsbruck to the immediate south. A simple 2-day tourist card permitted museum entries, mass transit, & a one time 'up-down' to any of the 3 ridgelines (we took the newest)

- Salzburg was Hohensalzburg Fortress & coming down the funicular (inclined railway) into the emerging night-lit city at dusk; the Salt Mine Tour after traveling the border region with Germany & seeing Hitler's Eagle Nest near Berchtesgaden.

- Rothenburg ob der Tauber could find me returning to explore more of the well-preserved medieval old town. The internet pictures only present half the story.

- Garmisch-Partenkirchen led to another alpine assault via cog train & cable gondolas - the Zugspitze, Germany's highest point at about 9,800' above sea level... still no snow, just a galcier. Was able to see mountains in Italy, Switzerland, & Austria (but then Austria is just on the opposite slope of the mountain).

- Munich fulfilled my wishes from high school German classes to visit the Hofbrauaus & see the Glockenspeil at the Marienplatz (main city plaza/square).

- Not to mention being well filled with Brots, Schnitzel, sauerkraut & spaetzel.

-B-
"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children."
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Trust you to �make a difference� with your arrival Beetle, the weather has been milder for this time of year than it has since records began in 1881, so no indeed no snow.

The Germans think of Chimney Sweeps, as �Good Luck Charms�, and in desperation last week one of the ski resorts drafted in a whole pack (is that the right word) of them to bring the resort Good Luck���and snow. Well as far as I know a few flakes have fallen in various places since then, but not many and just a bit too late for you Beetle.

Super to hear you enjoyed your trip though, you certainly packed in a lot of the good stuff, and I don�t mean only the food etc.

By the way did you manage to find any Flammkuchen on your travels?

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Yes, Flammkuchen was found along with many other similar fares at the stall in the Christmas markets.

Snow may not have been present but that lent to my rapid ascend of the Partnach Gorge (Partnachklamm) at Garmisch. Advertised to be a 1-hour one-way trek after a 20-minute walk from the bus stop. The 2 hour + 40 minute adventure was accomplished in 1.5 hours, in order to catch the laast bus running before a dinner-time shutdown for 90-minutes. Beautiful frozen waterfalls in the darkening skies could only be glimpsed at due to the timing (plus I was smart enough to not take her camera, which would've been banged up along the cliffside walkways.

-B-
OP Offline
Francine, I so agree with you -- Beetle makes a difference whether it is in Germany or here in the forums. I am surprised to hear there was little snow over there.

Beetle, you make me want to go over to visit those areas. Seems like you had a great time. Mrs. B. must be thrilled with all the pics she took. What a great album and memories that is going to make!

Ahh, yes, the Flammkuchen -- did you find any? You should have rang up Francine to whip up some for you and Mrs. B.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
In every city we hoteled at, the facility was in the older, historical sector - Altstadt (Gr=Old Town) - with the narrow cobble streets.

The B&B hotel in Innsbruck (Hotel Wei�es Kreuz) was so old that the stairways were very worn & slightly sloped. This, in conjunction with the three fr�hst�ck (breakfast) stuben (rooms) really started out the adventure into the Tyrolian/Bavarian/Alpian culture.

Ein Prosit...

-B-
OP Offline
Awesome!

When my brother and sister went to Ireland, they did the same for hotels - chose all the historical ones, even a castle for three nights. My brother locked himself out of the castle one night and had to ring the bell, which echoed throughout the whole castle and woke everyone up! When he was let in, he was surprised to see that the ancient door opened outwards, not in. So - actually he was not locked out, he was just trying to push the door in rather than pull it out. He said it was quite spooky standing outside by himself late at night. We still laugh often about that story. The Doyle family name in ancient Ireland was not very welcomed because they were Viking invaders viking -- so, little brother only renewed the ancient feelings about the Doyles. laugh

Last edited by Phyllis Doyle; 12/09/11 02:37 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Tiger
Tiger
Beetle, you have to play "catch up" I am now TOP DOG & Rosie right behind me - I was wondering what was going on and finally asked - glad they told me - thought you had left the forum.

Next time, tell sis you leaving = she is getting too OLD to be worrying(lol).

On the serious side, glad you back and thanks for the chuckle in the "unemployment" forum - you are a mess!!! easter

Last edited by Angela J. Shirley; 12/10/11 11:40 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

What is a 'Top Dog' in this particular context Angela? Would be interested in knowing, we Europeans.......always curious I am afraid.

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

OP Offline
laugh Francine, "Top Dog" in American phrases means the dog that is on top of the fighting heap, the one who wins a fight. Usually the neighborhood dog who is the most territorial and wants to claim everything first is referred to as the "Top Dog". They are the most aggressive and least friendly. They are not happy unless they are at the top of the heap, or first among all.

In this particular context, it means nothing except that she has posted more than anyone else in the forums over the last 30 days.

Angela had a clear shot at being in that position because Beetle and others were gone for so long.

Actually, if one wants to turn forum post ratings into a dog fight, it is Rosie who has more total posts than anyone and Beetle is right behind her. Therefore, our two top posters (not dogs) of all time are Rosie and Beetle. cool

But, if it makes one feel better to be the "Top Dog", I will say what my Dad always said about meaningless quips: "Whatever floats your boat."

Last edited by Phyllis Doyle; 12/10/11 06:21 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Gosh thanks for letting me know Phyllis. Had not realized that that was important, but have no experience of forums, only this one, and just thought it was where folks put their thoughts out when they had some to share, or had fun playing the various games.

There you go, we live and learn every day, and it keeps us young���.as far as the brain goes at least���..or so �they� say. Well let�s hope so, I could do with all the help I can get. laugh

Last edited by Francine - German Culture; 12/10/11 02:52 PM.

OP Offline
You are most welcome, Francine. The forums here are a great place to share thoughts and important information, or play the fun games.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Tiger
Tiger
LOL Francine - look to the left of your screen and you will see the following which I have "pasted" below. Beetle has remained in the #1 spot forever, and I just got it due to his being gone on vacation. It took a couple of days for me to "notice" as I don't look at this data. That was my clue to ask where he was - got worried, thought something had happened to him. Anyway, let me know if this answers your question - believe me, Beetle will be back in the #1 spot with Rosie right behind him(lol).

Top Posters (30 Days)

Angela J. Shirley 390
Rosie L 287
Beetlemess 235

Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 184
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 173
Jilly 143
anna*AHHA* Ruscult* 138
Eileen Brit TV 122
Cassie67 103
Yvonnie-Inspired 101

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Thanks for the info. Angela������but you need not have worried. Over the months Beetle had mentioned several times, in various posts on several different sites, that he was going to 'leap across the pond' to climb mountains and visit Christmas Markets etc., in Austria and Germany.

Just a shame there was no snow really�����and there still isn�t very much, where has it gone? There is a distinct possibility that in many parts of Germany Weihnachten this year will not be white, in fact it might even be warmish (for the time of year) and sunny!
frown

Tiger
Tiger
And remember that I have been "missing" from the forum due to being too busy = missed his posts. Just glad other family members "clued" me in when I finally asked easter

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Yes it is easy to miss posts, was happy to be able to tell you when you asked and put your mind at rest Angela.

And it will be fun to hear what else Beetle has to tell us about his trip, would love to know if he had a chance to visit Neuschwanstein, the castle on the German Culture Avatar, for example. It is quite an experience so I hope so.

Last edited by Francine - German Culture; 12/13/11 06:24 AM.

OP Offline
I would so love to visit Neuschwanstein Castle. I thought that was the mountain Beetle was going to climb in his lederhosen. He assured us though that there was no way lederhosen would find their way onto him. But, I think visiting Neuschwanstein Castle was on their intinerary.

Oh, Beetle, what happened to the Flammkuchen? I was planning a welcome back party for you and was looking for the Flammkuchen. I got two kegs ready.

Ein Prosit...

Last edited by Phyllis - Appalachia; 12/12/11 01:41 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
OP Offline
For you, Beetle:

Edelwei� - Edelweiss
DEUTSCH

Musik: Richard Rodgers
Text: Oscar Hammerstein
Deutsch: Unbekannt

Edelwei�, Edelwei�,
Du gr��t mich jeden Morgen,
Sehe ich dich,
Freue ich mich,
Und vergess' meine Sorgen.
Schm�cke das Heimatland,
Sch�n und wei�,
Bl�hest wie die Sterne.
Edelwei�, Edelwei�,
Ach, ich hab dich so gerne.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
What's this about dogs (hunde) - woof woof.

& postings could be weak for this week with a major program review going on at the office... Oh well

(Seven days without posting makes one weak <week>)

-B-
A
Gecko
Gecko
A
Welcome Back Beetle.

Edelweiss is one of my favourite tunes from the Sound Of Music, so calming, so breathtakingly simple and a delight to the ears.

Has anyone heard of St. Germain, the liquer made with elderflower? It's sweet and would the elderflower used be one and the same as edelweiss? Or is it distinctly separate?

I'm thinking it may be one and the same but would love to know for sure.

Anna - AHHA
Had to put up with many songs going through my head while in Salzburg... 'Climb Every Mountain', 'Do, Re, Mi', 'The Sound Of Music', 'My Favorite Things', etc. ... & every city in the mountainous Alps. Totally a sight to behold & it's no wonder the movie was filmed in the region. (Although, the true story is different than what is presented)

-B-
A
Gecko
Gecko
A
Oh wow! I'd be singing out loud for certain!

Did you happen to visit the home of the Von Trapp family?

Any goats roaming around?

And yes, I imagine that the real story lies somewhere between the movie version and the elusive truth.

Anna - AHHA
Didn't visit the Von Trapp home... & I wouldn't even attempt singing - it would sound more like yodeling or a oompah band.

Goats were plentiful on the farms we saw while passing through the landscape on the train.

-B-
A
Gecko
Gecko
A
Yodeling is an art from in itself. I'd probably be singing "The Lonely Goatherd" song -- from the puppet show. (In case you haven't guessed, I'm a big fan of goats and have 5 of my own. I may even change my posting picture to a goat, actually.)

Perhaps one day I might go see it with my own eyes.

Do you think that Salzburg and the surroundings have changed much since the filming of the movie in 1965?

Often this is the case, the charm dissapears and then one can be dissapointed.

Anna - AHHA
The Salzberg locals aren't that keen to the movie - more of an American thing. Although, there are many tour companies that offer a visit to many of the places used in the filming. Was tempting but not on the 'bucket list' of things to do or see, and probably won't be on the 'must do list' if ever back there.

-B-
A
Gecko
Gecko
A
Gotcha Beetle -- a glamorized version of a difficult time.

Anna - AHHA
Just heading into the hills (the tops) via funicular or gondola brought more of an amazement to the shock & awe of the locale. Then a tasty meal washed down with a locally brewed beer in a gasthaus made for a great trip. A hot beverage (coffe/cappacino) at the mountain top restaurant left idle time to soak in the view.

-B-
OP Offline
Anna, the elder flower has been used for centuries for many things. It is considered as magical and also associated with death or to protect the buried from evil spirits.

Edelweiss is known as the Queen of Alpine flowers and is a protected plant (forbidden to pick) in the Alpines.

Have you ever tasted the liqueur? (St. Germains) What does it taste like? Is it similar to elderberry wine?

Last edited by Phyllis - Appalachia; 12/13/11 01:05 AM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
OP Offline
Beetle, did the Von Trapp family (the real ones) come to America? I read a little about them many years ago, but do not remember their whole story.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Edelweiss and Edelflower are two different plants Anna.

As Phyllis says Edelweiss is a protected plant species in the Alps, it is a very small delicate white 'star' type of flower, whereas the Elder or Elderberry is a really common bush found in all sorts of places.

It has big heads of flowers in the spring and berries come autumn and many folk, me included, make elderflower and elderberry cordial. They are just delicious and also, it is said, medicinal and heaven knows what else. It is certainly brilliant at helping with sore throats and cold symptoms that I know from experience, and altogether it is a plant with a fascinating story behind it.

Neither cordial tastes anything like St. Germain which has a tropical fruit type of taste somehow, and is super in white wine or with gin and Noilly Ambre.............and as you probably know the bottle it comes in is just gorgeous. Worth it even if the contents were awful.

Last edited by Francine - German Culture; 12/13/11 06:30 AM.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Salzburg hasn�t really changed Anna, it isn�t allowed to basically. Because of its history and beauty it has been the subject of preservation orders for some time, and is now one of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites.

It is not only the city that is stunning, as Beetle will tell you the surroundings are also.

The Sound of Music musical finally made it to Salzburg this autumn almost 50 years after it was first performed, and it is a German language version which, despite there having been a lot of resistance to it up until now, has proved to be quite popular.

It was �The Sound of Music� which put Salzburg on the map world wide, and many visitors to Salzburg come because of the musical, however the 'city' has a different idea of culture really, more the music of Brahms, Beethoeven, Mozart etc., while at the same time of course the Austrians don�t really like to be reminded of that part of their history.

Salzburg is the resdident home & birthplace of Wolfgang Armadeus Mozart - what a prodigy -; as well as the location of the geburtshaus (birth house) of the 'Stile Nacht' (Silent Night) lyrics writer, Joseph Mohr.

Salzburg is immediately across the border from Germany & known for the salt mines. Yes, table salt from the ground. Valued by all cultures of the region, including the Celtics and Romans. We happened to tour the mine in Berchtesgaden (in the shadow of Hitler's Eagle's Nest).

-B-
Tiger
Tiger
Hey VIP, nothing like having a post named after you - way to go VIP Beetle smile smile smile

Does that mean I'm with Post & not Kellogg's? I'm no cereal killer...

-B-
A
Gecko
Gecko
A
Originally Posted By: Phyllis - Appalachia
Anna, the elder flower has been used for centuries for many things. It is considered as magical and also associated with death or to protect the buried from evil spirits.

Edelweiss is known as the Queen of Alpine flowers and is a protected plant (forbidden to pick) in the Alpines.

Have you ever tasted the liqueur? (St. Germains) What does it taste like? Is it similar to elderberry wine?

Hi Phyllis,

Yes I have a beautiful bottle of St. Germain in the pantry and it's rather sweet. I've mixed it with vodka and cranberry with excellent results.

Unfortunately, I have not sampled elberberry wine but have heard of its wondrous properties. I'm not certain if it grows here in PA. It would be worth making some! I make dandelion wine and cordial in the springtime and it's just about ready for drinking on the Winter Solstice.
smile

Anna - AHHA
A
Gecko
Gecko
A
Originally Posted By: Francine - German Culture

Edelweiss and Edelflower are two different plants Anna.

As Phyllis says Edelweiss is a protected plant species in the Alps, it is a very small delicate white 'star' type of flower, whereas the Elder or Elderberry is a really common bush found in all sorts of places.

It has big heads of flowers in the spring and berries come autumn and many folk, me included, make elderflower and elderberry cordial. They are just delicious and also, it is said, medicinal and heaven knows what else. It is certainly brilliant at helping with sore throats and cold symptoms that I know from experience, and altogether it is a plant with a fascinating story behind it.

Neither cordial tastes anything like St. Germain which has a tropical fruit type of taste somehow, and is super in white wine or with gin and Noilly Ambre.............and as you probably know the bottle it comes in is just gorgeous. Worth it even if the contents were awful.

Thanks Francine for the clarification. I appreciate the sweet taste of St. Germain and the bottle is a keepsake! I've never mixed it with gin but it sounds good.

I've purchased elderberry flower drink concentrate at IKEA and mix it in with tea and even cranberry juice and water -- it's great.

Last edited by anna*AHHA* Ruscult*; 12/13/11 09:03 PM.

Anna - AHHA
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Beetlemess
Does that mean I'm with Post & not Kellogg's? I'm no cereal killer...

You mean you did not make all those crop circles? Then who did?

Phyllis Doyle Burns
OP Offline
"I've purchased elderberry flower drink concentrate at IKEA and mix it in with tea and even cranberry juice and water -- it's great."

Anna, we stop at IKEA about twice a year when on our way home from California vacations. I will have to pick some up. I wonder if I can order it online? I am going to check that out.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
OP Offline
Anna, I would love to try Dandelion wine, Elderflower drink, and Watermelon wine. I have never made wine -- is it difficult?

Phyllis Doyle Burns
OP Offline
I wonder if Elderflowers grow in Ireland? There is a guy who lives over there that I am becoming very good friends with. He is greatly helping me these last few weeks, to get through this tough time. He is always right there for me. I think our friendship is very promising and he wants me to come visit or he will come over here. I would rather go to Ireland for I have always wanted to visit the land of my ancestors. He says all I really need is a good hug from a good man. Sweet, huh?

Hmmm...I think Ireland is more into beer (like Germany is) than wine.

I just read that Elderflower is very good for the flu and colds. Maybe we all should stock up on it for the winter.

Last edited by Phyllis - Appalachia; 12/14/11 01:20 AM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Elder is found all over Europe Phyllis.........some people even call it 'a weed' when a seed has sprouted in their garden, and in Ireland, where it was once considered to be a sacred tree it was forbidden to break even one twig.

Nevertheless as it has hollow branches they were used for pipes and 'fire bellows' for centuries, and there is a theory that the name comes from the Anglo-Saxon 'eller', which means 'a kindler of fire'.

The two drinks, 'cordials or Saft in German', from the flowers and the berries are used for a colds and flu as you say, as well as all types of other ailments in Germany, but, warm or cold, are also just a very popular drink......because they are delicious, either on their own or mixed with all types of things.

They are also made into jellies and jams, which are brought out in the winter, and into fruit wine, which is not difficult to do, so if you are in Ireland in the Spring or Autumn you can 'have a go' at wine making. Now won't that be fun, lucky you. smile

OP Offline
Great information, Francine. Thank you! I have a lot to think about. My friend is very persuasive and I do need some nurturing -- of course, learning how to make wine may help also.

Beetle sure seems to love the places they visited in Germany. I bet they go back there next year. Now, if they go in the summer he should be able to wear some lederhosen, dontcha think?

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Nope!

-B-
Tiger
Tiger
Welcome back Phyllis, I have missed you and Beetle's comedy act(lol). I had to chuckle when I saw Beetle's response to my post and then your response to his. Ha, ha - talk soon!

Last edited by Angela J. Shirley; 12/14/11 09:44 AM.
A
Gecko
Gecko
A
Originally Posted By: Phyllis - Appalachia
Anna, I would love to try Dandelion wine, Elderflower drink, and Watermelon wine. I have never made wine -- is it difficult?

Hi Phyllis,

No, it's not difficult at all, just a bit time consuming as you wait for the final product to develop. The process for making wine takes about 1 week.

The golden flowers of dandelions are used in the wine, picked on a sunny day when they are fully opened. After picking, hot water is poured all over them. Eventually, after straining, yeast, sugar, lemon and orange are added and voila!-- the fermentation begins.

I'll dig out my recipe that I've been using for years now and post it in an article along with one for an easy cordial -- vodka, lemon and sugar. In Russia, I've heard that dandelions are grown as flowers and not considered a weed! smile

Dandelions too have wondrous properties -- from the root to the flower.

Anna - AHHA
Wondrous properties? So long as they don't take over my property!!!

-B-
A
Gecko
Gecko
A
You are indeed a most clever Beetle!

No seriously -- the flowers and roots of dandelions are used as tonics for many ailments and the bitter leaves in salads, even sauteed with olive oil and salt.

Examples of the uses: liver and kidney tonics, bitters, and a stimulant of the blood and lymnph.

JUST be very careful where you pick them: the area should be free of weed killers and dogs that love to pee!

cool

Anna - AHHA
AGREE!

-B-
OP Offline
Euewwwwww! If the dandelions are already yellow how do we know? I mean, it is not like snow when you know it should not be yellow.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Angela J. Shirley
Welcome back Phyllis, I have missed you and Beetle's comedy act(lol). I had to chuckle when I saw Beetle's response to my post and then your response to his. Ha, ha - talk soon!

laugh I am not aware that we were performing -- but, if it amuses you to follow our "comedy act", so be it. Enjoy! smile

Last edited by Phyllis - Appalachia; 12/14/11 02:38 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Beetlemess
Nope!

Cuts-offs then, maybe?

Phyllis Doyle Burns
If we keep going like this, we'll get cut-off...

-B-
OP Offline
Ooops - sorry. So how is your day so far? Got lots to catch up on?

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Been stuck in closed door meetin all day. Escape to make potty breaks & dump on the forum...

-B-
OP Offline
Boy oh boy! I sure remember those closed door, all day meetin's. When I worked for the state of Washington we had those once a month for the budgets. Not fun! Hope you get a good night's rest tonight. (I know, I am late for this msg - I just got home from baby-sitting my daughter. She had another knee surgery and will be off her feet for six weeks). So, you will not see this msg till the morning -- in which case I should say, "Hope you had a good night's rest."

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Well there you go Beetle, only been back two and a half minutes and at 23.46 CET already die Nummer eins
Quote:
Top Posters (30 Days)
Beetlemess 425

Obviously been given super powers from all that fresh German mountain air.

Tiger
Tiger
LOL

OP Offline
That's nice, Francine. Beetle is always die Nummer eins in my book.

Beetle, when you are in the forums the whole place lights up like a Tannenbaum.

Merry Christmas to you and your family. smile

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Tiger
Tiger
The same to you Phyllis & Beetle needs to REGAIN his #1 spot in the forum. I still cannot figure out why I am #1(lol).

Top Posters (30 Days)

Angela J. Shirley 411
Beetlemess 396
Rosie L 369
Phyllis - Appalachia

Last edited by Angela J. Shirley; 12/19/11 09:58 AM.
C'mon, I just peek in to challenge the brain cells with the games & to drop a few zingers, when possible.

I'd rather be behind #1. That way I inspire the challenge & competition Gets lonely at the top.

-B-
OP Offline
Hmmmm...ok, whatever floats your boat - we still feel good when you are here - so there ya go.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Float like a butterfly - Sting like a bee...

-B-
OP Offline
ah! the old Rope-a-Dope trick, huh?

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Back against the ropes & ready to stike at a moment's notice...

-B-
OP Offline
Viper!

Phyllis Doyle Burns
I did pilot Cobra gunships...

That could be a good user name: Forum Viper.

-B-
OP Offline
Cool!!! Come from out of the shadows and ratta-ratta-ratta!

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Tiger
Tiger
Top Posters (30 Days)

Beetlemess 469
Angela J. Shirley 424
Rosie L 374
Phyllis - Appalachia 219

A
Gecko
Gecko
A
WOW.

Heavy is the head that wears the crown! smile

Anna - AHHA
c'mon... I'm waiting... catch up, y'all...

-B-
A
Gecko
Gecko
A
We're trying our best-est.

Anna - AHHA
Okay, I'll do annutter vacation holiday... That will give everyone a chnce.

-B-
OP Offline
Can we post just quick comments, like .... "Thanks!" ... one in every forum every day?

Last edited by Phyllis - Appalachia; 12/20/11 06:00 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Sure, why <k>not? Copy & Paste would probably help in the speed category.

Just don't get tied up...

Last edited by Beetlemess; 12/20/11 06:05 PM.

-B-
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Thanks ! smile !!

OP Offline
You are welcome! Thanks for the thanks!! smile

Phyllis Doyle Burns
OP Offline
Thanks, Beetle! cool

Last edited by Phyllis - Appalachia; 12/20/11 06:20 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Bitte Schone

-B-
OP Offline
Thanks for the bitte schon. You are learning the German language quite well. smile I am struggling with it. Lakhota is easier for me.

Last edited by Phyllis - Appalachia; 12/20/11 06:36 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Tiger
Tiger
LOL

I took 2 years of German wa-a-a-ay back in high school. We started every class with singing a beerhall song. There was a different one each day. The following solidified a bucket list accomplishment that I completed - a visit to the Hofbr�uhaus...

"In M�nchen steht ein Hofbr�uhaus, ..."

-B-
A
Gecko
Gecko
A
Now that sounds like the type of class I'd like to attend: singing beerhall songs!

Was there bier served too?

Or was that more of an extra curricular activity?

BIER BITTE.....

Anna - AHHA
OP Offline
Oh! - cool. We can have a class here. You can lead us in song, Beetle.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Dir Beergarten !!!

Jawohl!!!

-B-
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Jawohl Beetle..........Yes indeed.

And here is a Munich Oktoberfest song for all you gals and guys who want to learn a German Biergarten/Bier Hall song.....well a Bier Hall is only an inside Beer Garden and the Oktoberfest is a sort of enormous beer garden isn't it?

This is the song:

There Has To Be Some Fun in Life - Ein bisschen Spass muss sein,

Here is a rough, very rough, translation:

There has to be some fun in life, because then the world is full of sunshine,
And as far as we understand it that is how it will always be,
There has to be a little fun, because then happiness comes naturally,
And we will sing about it day in and day out.
There has to be some fun in life.
There has to be some fun in life, because then the world is full of sunshine,
And as far as we understand it that is how it will always be,
There has to be a little fun, because then happiness comes naturally,
And we will sing about it day in and day out.
There has to be some fun in life.

Here is the German text:

Ein bisschen Spass muss sein, dann ist die Welt voll Sonnenschein!
So gut wie wir uns heute verstehn, so soll es weitergehen!
Ein bisschen Spass muss sein, dann kommt das Gl�ck von ganz allein!
Drum singen wir tagaus und tagein
Ein bisschen Spass muss sein!
Ein bisschen Spass muss sein, dann ist die Welt voll Sonnenschein!
So gut wie wir uns heute verstehn, so soll es weitergehen!
Ein bisschen Spass muss sein, dann kommt das Gl�ck von ganz allein!
Drum singen wir tagaus und tagein
Ein bisschen Spass muss sein!

And at the beginning the guy says

Du bist der Hammer��the familiar version of You are Great/ You are totally awesome..........which of course you will be if you manage to finish your first lesson cool

Last edited by Francine - German Culture; 12/22/11 02:02 PM.

OP Offline
Ein bi�chen Spass mu� sein.

I so agree! Thanks, Francine.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Du bist der Hammer Phyllis......Thank you!

I'll toast to that...

"Eins, zwei, ... g'suffa!"

-B-
OP Offline
Auf deine - Ihre Gesundheit!

Last edited by Phyllis - Appalachia; 12/22/11 02:23 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
To All: Fr�hliche Weihnachten!

-B-
OP Offline
Almost at 700, Beetle. Hit it and go for 800!

Phyllis Doyle Burns
But time to say Auf Wiedersehen

-B-
OP Offline
Already?

Phyllis Doyle Burns
OP Offline
Auf Wiedersehen, my fun friend.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
A
Gecko
Gecko
A
Gute nacht.

Vaya con Dios.

Forgive me but my German is practically non existant.

But I'm willing to learn!

Last edited by anna*AHHA* Ruscult*; 12/28/11 09:01 PM.

Anna - AHHA
Guten Morgen. Taking advantage of the lax work-level at the office, so blasted out a bit early to some much needed chores around the hacienda.

-B-
OP Offline
Dreimal hoch! Yeah! Good for you, Beetle. Hope you have a great weekend.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
OP Offline
Beetle,

I wish all the best in the New Year to you and your loved ones and many blessings.

Thank you for being such a good friend.

It looks like it will be a busy night here on the forums. Hope you have a great evening.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
OP Offline
PS: from Dionne Warwick (and me!)

And I never thought I'd feel this way
And as far as I'm concerned
Glad I got this chance to say
That I do believe I love you!

Keep smilin', keep shinin'

I'll be on your side forever more.

That's what friends are for...

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

A memory of Austria for you Beetle, St. Stephen's Cathedral, Stephansdom, Vienna

Awww... But I didn't get over to Vienna this last trip.

-B-
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  Francine - German Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.