Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I just looked around last week and realized I'm hoarding. I have a meeting with a behavioral worker tomorrow and that will be a start.

In the meantime, tis the season for people to give me things. I already had some well meaning friends in my self esteem group give me a shell necklace, a red silk shirt, a pillar candle, and a taper candlestick.

Sigh. I have huge problems getting rid of anything and these are actually people who know I am hoarding. The only useful item for me is the pillar candle. I could recycle the taper candlestick and bring the necklace and shirt to charity....but jeez, did i need to torture myself over these things? It's hard enough getting rid of my own garbage, and now I have these gifts to worry about.

arg.

Last edited by Jilly; 12/08/11 09:30 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Get yourself one paper grocery bag. Walk round your house and put into the grocery bag things that you don't want that you think someone else would like. Then take it to the thrift store and imagine someone else buying your things.

You will have blessed someone on a low budget get a bargain from the thrift store. You will have gained some income for the thrift store, and you will have reduced the stuff in your own home. By donating to the thrift store, three people will have been blessed. Focus on that and you will find it easier to donate.

Get a receipt and you will get a tax deduction too.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I have worked in thrift stores and find it appalling that even they toss perfectly good items in the dumpster. There is one dumpster I actually frequent from the senior center thrift store to 'save' perfectly good items from the landfill. So i am actively getting worse.

Also, how do you get rid of a gift from someone you see every week? I know Linda will wonder why she never sees me wearing her necklace.

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Do you know about Freecycle? Is there one in your area?

What is Freecycle, and how do I use it?

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I have used freecycle, but i live in a weird area that I can't describe to people how to find.

Maybe i can take the time out to make a very complete description and leave a box on the front of the driveway, with strict instructions not to bother me, just to take something. I don't like talking to people. frown

back in college, we used to have a freebox. I wish there was one here in town!

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I think its great to see you have recognised your own problem and are taking steps to help prevent it... If you are thinking about ways to get rid of stuff to good sources, you can always wrap them up and put them under the charity trees. Not sure what they are called there but here in Australia we have them in every shopping centre and they go to families in need directly not just to a store to be sold.

Originally Posted By: Jilly
I have used freecycle, but i live in a weird area that I can't describe to people how to find.

Maybe i can take the time out to make a very complete description and leave a box on the front of the driveway, with strict instructions not to bother me, just to take something. I don't like talking to people. frown

back in college, we used to have a freebox. I wish there was one here in town!

Hi Jilly. Is it possible for you to start a 'freebox' somewhere? At this time of year, it just might be very appreciated by many. I would decorate the box with wrapping paper or other colorful paper that is part of your stuff you want to get rid of.

Also - I would not leave free stuff at your driveway or give directions to your home - that might attract undesirables and put you in danger. Put the freebox in a shopping center parking lot or maybe take them to a church in town.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
PS: if you still feel the need to hoard, start hoarding something that will go up in value, like copper pennies which are becoming rare. Start dropping all your pennies into a large flower vase or other container. This can become a new project to work on in winter months when bored. Study the value of copper pennies, look at the dates on the pennies, sort them by dates, or play poker with them, as long as you get them back after the game.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Phyllis, I like this idea about the pennies. I need to look into what years they dropped the copper contents.

I have been thinking about the freebox idea. I found a 'free store' that is open once a week from 9-1 - tomorrow - and will ask how their donations system works. If that doesn't work, then mayne some kind of parking lot or community center will be willing to let me set something up.

Redcarpetdresses, that xmas tree idea sounds lovely. They let you drop off stuff that is already wrapped? I wonder if people ever wrap up garbage, or is there some kind of quality control for that?

My brother told me that in Europe they have Charity Stores all over. People can donate to a Cancer Charity Store, Heart Health, Needy Children, or any number of charities. The items are cleaned, and sold to customers and all the money brought in is given to charity.

Are there any stores like that in your area, Jilly?

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Tina - Living Simply 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.