Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

December 6th is St. Nicholas Day in Germany, and this morning many children, and some adults, will have woken up to find small gifts, a chocolate letter, and some Speculaas in their Nikolaus Stiefel, a St. Nicholas Boot.

A centuries old European specialty, Speculaas have recently become more widely known through the Biscoff version, and here is the story of the cookie and a recipe that tastes very similar to the Airline Cookie.

Speculaas, the Original 'Airline Cookie' recipe

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
I had to come check this post out Francine when I saw "original airline cookie recipe" - you sure know how to get our attention. Way to GO!!!

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Thanks!!!!

I asked if anyone had this recipe, in the dessert forum, December 1st.

I'm so excited to try!!!

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration
Tiger
Tiger
Hi Yvonnie:

Let us know how it goes.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

LOL Angela, so I can assume you are a fan smile ��������.do you snack on them in planes, or can you manage to buy the cookies locally? From what I have been told they are quite easy to buy in an absolutely normal supermarket in some areas of the US, whereas in others they are like gold dust���.hard to find.

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Tiger
Tiger
Hey, was just getting ready to get off the forum - this is so "addictive"...

I use to be a flight attendant when I was age 18 until 20 when I got tired of being stuck in locations I rather not be stuck due to being snowed in.

Your post brought back memories of those flights and the food on board.

Okay, let me go and get some work done (have 2 online book reviews to do) - talk soon Francine...

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Hi Yvonnie, Yes we tend to know them as Speculaas, or Lotus biscuits, Biscoff is the name in the US, and of course as it was St. Nicholas on the 5th/6th December, which is �The� traditional time for Speculaas, that is why I had planned the recipe for then.

At this time of the year I just love the more spiced version, the Speculaas, somehow the aroma and taste just say �Weihnachten�, and it is seen everywhere at the moment. Home baked ones are even cut into different shapes and used as tree decorations, they add an extra dimension to the scents of pine and wax candles.

Have put both versions of the biscuit in the recipe, and the Lotus/Biscoff cookie really does taste very like the genuine �secret recipe�, especially with the soy flour, but it does have to be rolled out very thinly to get the right texture.

Have made it many times, even though of course we can buy the cookies everywhere, but I just love the fragrance from all the spices drifting through the home.

If I buy the cookies then I turn them into the Lotus/Biscoff spread , which is a calorie nightmare but absolutely delicious.

Good luck with your cookie baking, and I do hope you enjoy them.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Hey Francine!

Forgot to report back about the Speculaas.

We made them on Christmas day, soy flour & ground almonds included.

We loved them w/Vanilla Ice Cream. Without the ice cream they were not as yummy. Keep in mind that we are comparing them to Lotus Biscoff versions. The Lotus version has a thinner, crispier texture and maybe is a bit sweeter.

I'll tweak my approach to see if I can improve upon what we did this past holiday season. Any ideas? I'm thinking to use turbinado sugar instead of white and to disregard the almond flour.

The recipe turns out quite a lot of cookies so, I used the last of the cookies as a crust for a cheesecake. Good, but could have been better if I would have made he cheesecake a caramel version.

Thanks so much for sharing Francine. Can't wait to get this recipe down to a science.

Yvonnie

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Hi Yvonnie, Super you tried the cookies.

Yes they have to be rolled out really thinly as I said, otherwise they do tend to be a bit 'mealy', and doing that is not always as easy as it sounds smile

It would be a good idea to try the turbinado sugar instead normal, it is what I use, we call it natural sugar. However have heard that the cookie sold in the US is sweeter than here and certainly our natural sugar, which is then combined in the recipe with a dark brown sugar, is not as sweet as the normal variety, so that will need a bit of tweaking.

Also stopped with the almond flour, and now sometimes we stick a few almond slivers actually into the cookie, makes a nice change, and am glad you tried the Soy Flour, think it makes a difference to the flavor, have tried it without and was not so thrilled really.

But your idea of a cheese cake with a caramlized filling sounds good, must try that, while what we do usually is make any extra into a spread, just sooooo good.

Thanks so much for letting me know how it went Yvonnie, and Happy Experimenting.

Moderated by  Francine - German Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.