Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#729040 12/05/11 02:38 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

As we touched upon �Mr. Putin� on the Rasputin thread Anna wonder what you think of the latest news about him, that despite the Russian election being �rigged� he still lost face and votes.

Fell about laughing at them using erasable ink and locking an election observer in the toilet���..talk about corrupt.

Good article here, that is also very funny in places, because honestly you couldn�t make it up.

Putin suffers a poll setback amid claims of electoral fraud

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
Gecko
Gecko
A
Truth is stranger than fiction.

Sounds like they may need to have another election.

As for the antics.....funny! smile

Just the other day, I caught an interview with a retired Russian doctor. She collects a paltry sum for a pension, and needs to scrape by just to live. The impression she gave was that communism had its perks in certain respects: at least if you called for an ambulance, you were picked up and transported to a hospital and everyone was entitled to a state sponsored vacation.

Nowadays, she claims that one is asked how old you are when you call for the ambulance, and if over a certain age (she was over 70), they laugh and hang up on you.

This poor woman was told, "Poshla, Babushka" meaning... "Get going."

And, of course, you and I know who truly is the puppeteer, and who pulls the strings, both in public and in private. The BIG P.

Last edited by anna*AHHA* Ruscult*; 12/05/11 03:17 PM.

Anna - AHHA
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

I think this is true for all former USSR countries Anna.
Quote:
Just the other day, I caught an interview with a retired Russian doctor. She collects a paltry sum for a pension, and needs to scrape buy just to live. The impression she gave was that communism had its perks in certain respects: at least if you called for an ambulance, you were picked up and transported to a hospital.

Was in West Berlin for a year or so shortly before the wall fell (was pulled down), and was quite often in East Germany, where, despite the restrictions in force at the time, was able to meet quite a few people.

Folks we knew at that time might have had a very limited life as far as �freedom� in every sense of the word went, however there was �cradle to grave� care, equality for women, jobs for everyone���.although they often did not involve much as far work went, but there was still always a pay packet at the end of the week, and no chance of losing your job����etc. etc.

There was general euphoria when the Soviets were thrown out and communism discredited, however it did last long before reality hit. And amongst the worst hit were the women, because equality as they knew it flew out of the window along with communism.

Many of those we knew have long regretted the �fall of the wall�.

Communism had made a �Nanny� state and for many, especially amongst those who were not longer the youngest, it meant enormous change of culture and way of life, loss of jobs, security, and everything that goes with it.

And that includes a form of medical care that did not look at your birth certificate, although to be fair German medical care is amongst the best in the world, so that at least is not one of the problems.

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

A
Gecko
Gecko
A
Hi Francine,

What validity your statements have -- there is much suffering that persists.

As for the BIG P - the demonstrations continue.

The billoinaire Mikhail Prokhorov even speaks of the elections and the future in his blog. Here is my translation:

"It's clear that on the whole the legitimacy of the authorities/those in power is on the decline. If nothing changes, then the design will disintegrate on its own. The system will not last another five years. And this means that there is a wide open field for new political thought, for new faces and new ideas. They must appear in the power of the party through the development of new parties, movements, independent centers of political and economic expertise."

Mikhail is an interesting man, a tycoon, an elusive bachelor and there is a special on him on CNBC tonight @ 9 pm EST.

I've also written about Prokhorov who was once asked: �what gift of nature he would like to have?�

His answer was to understand women. Obviously, a very wise man to boot.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art58335.asp

Last edited by anna*AHHA* Ruscult*; 12/06/11 07:17 PM.

Anna - AHHA
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Don�t know what the CNBC program covered Anna but Mikhail Prokhorov often says the right things, and if he actually means them that would be just great, but is he any more trustworthy than Herr P, or many others? Certainly he gets a great deal of press coverage in Europe, but much of it is not exactly positive.

At least he recently stopped supporting Russia�s 'Right Cause' party which was a government-backed political party, and has said that he will eventually represent the average Russian.

Friends who ski at the French resort he visits say he does not make a good impression, and there at least, who knows about anywhere else, it appears that his words about women do not seem to born out by his behavior towards them.

But hopefully some good will come out of the current �awakening� in Russia, for the sake of the people. To have billionaires who are amongst the richest people in the world, many with Russian Mafia backgrounds, while millions can hardly afford to eat, then something is not right with the way the country is being run at the moment.

Although the very fact that �the people� know the elections were corrupt is certainly a sign that freedom of information and speech is better than it has been at various times in the past.

The former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev has even called for an annulment of the parliamentary election, so it will be interesting to see just how the situation develops in the next weeks.

A
Gecko
Gecko
A
Hi Francine,

Thanks for the post! It will be interesting to follow the post-election developments!

I watched the CNBC special -- 60 minutes -- last evening about Mikhail Prokhorov and it was an updated special from a previous one a few months ago. He is well spoken if not brief in his responses and speaks both English and Russian well.

This is a wonderful trait that I especially admire in Europeans: their fluency in multiple languages. (I'd love to have heard the interviewer conduct the interview in Russian!)

This metals tycoon made a lot of $$ by selling ownership in a company he co owned prior to the market's decline. He's educated and we see the results of some luck, some work and ingenuity and friends in high places.

The incident with the models in the Alpine resort of Courchevel was discussed too and apparently it was some sort of "misunderstanding." smile

Trustworthiness? Your guess is as good as mine.

I don't really catch much news on Prokhorov here, so you are much closer to the action than I. BBC is the best chance I have of getting a taste of what's going on or the net.

In the end, I suppose that the same old story repeats itself throughout the ages: the haves and the have nots. The mob exists in varying degrees in many countries, no?

Who knows, the Mayan prophecies may come to pass and there could be a change in consciousness, an awakening worldwide that will restore equilibrium in this crazy world we live in.

Last edited by anna*AHHA* Ruscult*; 12/07/11 10:27 AM.

Anna - AHHA
A
Gecko
Gecko
A
An update:

It appears that Mikhail Prokhorov announced December 12th that he would be running against Putin in the presidential election on March. They say that he doesn't have a chance, but who knows what will happen in this continuing saga.

On December 12th, Prokhorov's states in his blog: "This is the most serious decision of my life. I am running in the presidential elections. Thank you to everyone who has supported me."

Interesting.....

Anna - AHHA
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Hi Anna,

Mikhail Prokhorhov, the majority owner of the National Basketball Association's New Jersey Nets (soon to be the Brooklyn Nets) potentially the President of Russia. Muy Interesante!

BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Perfect!!!

Oh I wish this was a commercial for the upcoming elections!

With so many countries and people in the cross-roads of uncertainty, it's a bit like...

Well, it's a bit like drowning in the Ocean, scrambling in desperation and GRABBING the first 'doughnut ring' thrown to them.

As things are, health-wise/care, ambulance, etc...

I don't have health insurance. well, guess what?

If I dialed 911? An ambulance would be dispatched to my whereabouts. I would be taken to the hospital and made to wait, just like EVERYONE else (who does have healthcare) until they get to me.

I know this as once upon a time I did have healthcare and I had something that ruptured on the inside and was bleeding internally.

Waited for hours! I was conscious though, in and out and a strong personality. The staff was laughing and going back and forth in the operation room and I had it within myself to say,

"YOU KNOW WHAT? NONE OF YOU ARE MAKING THIS ANY EASIER! WHERE'S THE DOCTOR?"

Their response?

"We don't even know if what you're experiencing is drug withdrawal! And we have limited doctors on staff tonight."

So I asked for a blood test to move things along and 2 more hours later a doctor arrived.

Whatever ELECTIONS drive for, across our lands, there's a much, much bigger organization going on.

Believe it or not, but where single communistic, democratic civilizations have failed...they're trying to find a way to herd everyone into a world order that isn't going to be much different.

You may get excited along the way, and even ticked off with whatever your current situation is, but there's a reason dictatorships, communism and tyrancy fails.

In the end THE SOURCE, the individuals running the show are doing so in the name of control and greed.

They don't live like the common person and wouldn't want to. Your efforts are going to their ends of mean...living on top of the world (litterally)!

The answer, recognizing your common neighbor as the human being they are and not the enemy heads of state would like for you to believe. Power in numbers smile

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Hi Anna, Here is the latest update from this side of the pond, it is a short but to the point article.

There is a strong feeling that Mikhail Prokhorov is not quite what he says he is, and that he could be part of a conspiracy to draw away focus from the protests and protesters.

It is a bit like a European fairy tale where 'the plot thickens' before everything is solved..........one way or the other, after all fairy tales from Europe do not always have 'happy' endings
smile

Billionaire to stand against Putin � but whose side is he really on?

A
Gecko
Gecko
A
Originally Posted By: Francine - German Culture

Hi Anna, Here is the latest update from this side of the pond, it is a short but to the point article.

There is a strong feeling that Mikhail Prokhorov is not quite what he says he is, and that he could be part of a conspiracy to draw away focus from the protests and protesters.

It is a bit like a European fairy tale where 'the plot thickens' before everything is solved..........one way or the other, after all fairy tales from Europe do not always have 'happy' endings
smile

Billionaire to stand against Putin � but whose side is he really on?

Thanks Francine for the link! I find it fascinating that a former chess champion, Garry Kasparov is also in the race. Perhaps Kasparov's reasoning and tactical abilities can be put to good use.

Valid point about drawing attention away from the issues....
It brings to mind the movie, "Wag The Dog."

Anna - AHHA
A
Gecko
Gecko
A
Originally Posted By: Les-Mexico Site
Hi Anna,

Mikhail Prokhorhov, the majority owner of the National Basketball Association's New Jersey Nets (soon to be the Brooklyn Nets) potentially the President of Russia. Muy Interesante!

Hi Les,

The whole thing is like a soap opera, leaving us all wondering, how will it end?!

Anna - AHHA
A
Gecko
Gecko
A
Originally Posted By: Elleise - Clairvoyance
Perfect!!!

Oh I wish this was a commercial for the upcoming elections!

With so many countries and people in the cross-roads of uncertainty, it's a bit like...

Well, it's a bit like drowning in the Ocean, scrambling in desperation and GRABBING the first 'doughnut ring' thrown to them.

As things are, health-wise/care, ambulance, etc...

I don't have health insurance. well, guess what?

If I dialed 911? An ambulance would be dispatched to my whereabouts. I would be taken to the hospital and made to wait, just like EVERYONE else (who does have healthcare) until they get to me.

I know this as once upon a time I did have healthcare and I had something that ruptured on the inside and was bleeding internally.

Waited for hours! I was conscious though, in and out and a strong personality. The staff was laughing and going back and forth in the operation room and I had it within myself to say,

"YOU KNOW WHAT? NONE OF YOU ARE MAKING THIS ANY EASIER! WHERE'S THE DOCTOR?"

Their response?

"We don't even know if what you're experiencing is drug withdrawal! And we have limited doctors on staff tonight."

So I asked for a blood test to move things along and 2 more hours later a doctor arrived.

Whatever ELECTIONS drive for, across our lands, there's a much, much bigger organization going on.

Believe it or not, but where single communistic, democratic civilizations have failed...they're trying to find a way to herd everyone into a world order that isn't going to be much different.

You may get excited along the way, and even ticked off with whatever your current situation is, but there's a reason dictatorships, communism and tyrancy fails.

In the end THE SOURCE, the individuals running the show are doing so in the name of control and greed.

They don't live like the common person and wouldn't want to. Your efforts are going to their ends of mean...living on top of the world (litterally)!

The answer, recognizing your common neighbor as the human being they are and not the enemy heads of state would like for you to believe. Power in numbers smile

Hi Elleise,

What an experience you had in the ER! Scary.

Thanks for the post. You've made excellent points!

It always comes down to the age old concept that avarice is the root of all evil.

From this is derived the division of the haves versus the have nots; the toil and labor of the majority supports the system and the elite thereof. Because the despots are not in touch with this majority or the commoners, it leads to unrest and upheavel...look what happened in the Russian Revolution back in 1917. 95% of the population was composed of the peasant class, and the remaining 5% the elite.

Did it work out in the end?

Yes -- da -- recognizing and treating your neighbour, your fellow man as you would yourself works miracles!

MEER VSEM -- Peace to one and all!

Last edited by anna*AHHA* Ruscult*; 12/14/11 11:44 AM.

Anna - AHHA
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

A lighter touch to the discussion Anna����.one of the latest members of Russia�s parliament is a former Playboy magazine cover girl, while there are a great many rumors, backed up by pictures, swirling around Europe at the moment that seem to show a prem'er-ministru Putin who has had an overdose of Botox recently.

Playboy cover star Maria Kozhevnikova wins Russian parliament seat

Botox and Prime Minister Putin

A
Gecko
Gecko
A
Oh that's a good one Francine! smile

I believe there was a similar situation with a "star" running for the House of Representatives in the US some time ago.

The Big P is certainly a handsome devil with his newly refreshed face!

Anna - AHHA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.