Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
In a recent news story, a young researcher posted a couple of YouTube videos revealing a clandestine software program pre-installed on his smartphone. He demonstrated how the software recorded his every move on his phone. The software, called Carrier IQ, is pre-installed on millions of phones, maybe even yours. In a statement released this week, the company said,

"We measure and summarize performance of the device to assist Operators in delivering better service. While a few individuals have identified that there is a great deal of information available to the Carrier IQ software inside the handset, our software does not record, store or transmit the contents of SMS messages, email, photographs, audio or video."

Now phone carriers are claiming they had no idea the software recorded so much info. Riiiight.

So how do you feel about that? Your every message, button pushed, picture taken, email sent, website visited... could be recorded and saved by an independent source.

Creepy huh?

"I don't think of all the misery, but of the beauty that still remains."
Anne Frank

Rayna
Depression Site
Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
I don't have a smartphone. Mine is decidedly stupid. It is a cut-rate phone that is pay-as-you-go. They don't make enough money on this phone to make it worth their while to add fancy chips.

I have nothing extraordinary to hide. My life is pretty much an open book, HOWEVER, I don't want to be recorded and saved by an independent source. As for the companies' not knowing what was going on...if people believe that, they will believe anything, indeed! Sad to contemplate.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Ha! That's funny, Connie. smile
As much as I am fascinated with technology, I also use a "dumb" little ol' phone.

I think the scary thing about the smartphone scandal was that people who thought they were "opting out" actually had no choice in the matter and had their info recorded anyway.

Seems rather sneaky to ask if I want to share my info when you know my answer is irrelevant - you're going to share it whether I like it or not.

"I don't think of all the misery, but of the beauty that still remains."
Anne Frank

Rayna
Depression Site
Gecko
Gecko
Yes, definitely creepy. Intrudes your privacy so much.

I love music, movies!! I write at mag for women in free time.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.