Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
brangill, opqrst997236, abcdef275892, uvwxyz211086, Salume Kh
57221 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57218 Members
417 Forums
113026 Topics
801225 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Rosie 66 883
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 471
Beetlemess 305
Nancy Roussy 147
Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 115
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 90
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 72
Sandra Investing/HFinance 45
Susan - Meditation Editor 43
Mona - Astronomy 39
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#728393 - 12/01/11 05:20 PM Organizing the kitchen: Share tips & challenges.
KellyJayne - Organization Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba

The kitchen is the heart of the home, but it can be a challenge to keep it running smoothly. This is especially true at holiday time. The holidays often tend to be food centered.

I love to cook, but it's so much more relaxing when everything is easy to access. A well stocked pantry is important too.

How do you manage to keep your space organized? How do you streamline things? What is your biggest challenge? Let's all share what we know. I am sure we can all use a extra tip or two.

Don't forget to sign up for the How To Organize Newsletter. It's filled with practical tips and links to great resources!

Learn about me - I teach people how to organize, clear clutter, set goals & get things done!
My mantra: Clear your clutter - Find your happy!

Add Organizing the kitchen: Share  tips & challenges. to Twitter Add Organizing the kitchen: Share  tips & challenges. to Facebook Add Organizing the kitchen: Share  tips & challenges. to MySpace Add Organizing the kitchen: Share  tips & challenges. to Del.icio.us Digg Organizing the kitchen: Share  tips & challenges. Add Organizing the kitchen: Share  tips & challenges. to Yahoo My Web Add Organizing the kitchen: Share  tips & challenges. to Google Bookmarks Add Organizing the kitchen: Share  tips & challenges. to Stumbleupon Add Organizing the kitchen: Share  tips & challenges. to Reddit
#730892 - 12/14/11 01:38 PM Re: Organizing the kitchen: Share tips & challenges. [Re: KellyJayne - Organization]
Angela J. Shirley Offline
Tiger

Hi Kelly:

Not a fan of the kitchen but I do like to have a cabinet dedicated to my spices only & ideally arranged by size. This makes it easier to see and reach for stuff.

Do you have any tips of your own to share with us?

Love your site!

Add Re: Organizing the kitchen: Share  tips & challenges. to Twitter Add Re: Organizing the kitchen: Share  tips & challenges. to Facebook Add Re: Organizing the kitchen: Share  tips & challenges. to MySpace Add Re: Organizing the kitchen: Share  tips & challenges. to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Organizing the kitchen: Share  tips & challenges. Add Re: Organizing the kitchen: Share  tips & challenges. to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Organizing the kitchen: Share  tips & challenges. to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Organizing the kitchen: Share  tips & challenges. to Stumbleupon Add Re: Organizing the kitchen: Share  tips & challenges. to Reddit
#731323 - 12/15/11 10:32 PM Re: Organizing the kitchen: Share tips & challenges. [Re: Angela J. Shirley]
KellyJayne - Organization Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba

Hi Angela,

I have loads of tips. One of my favorites is to rethink where things go. Make ease of access the driving criteria. Really think about how you use your kitchen.

Store frequently used objects in easy-to-reach locations (e.g., keep coffee mugs above the coffee pot). Items used less frequently, such as roasting pans, should be stored on a high shelf or in the back of a cabinet. Items that are used less than once or twice a year can be stored outside the kitchen, and should be if space is an issue. Overcrowding your cabinets and drawers is a sure fire method for attracting frustration.

If I may ask, why aren't you a fan of the kitchen? Is it it a cooking thing or just not liking the room in general?

Don't forget to sign up for the How To Organize Newsletter. It's filled with practical tips and links to great resources!

Learn about me - I teach people how to organize, clear clutter, set goals & get things done!
My mantra: Clear your clutter - Find your happy!

Add Re: Organizing the kitchen: Share  tips & challenges. to Twitter Add Re: Organizing the kitchen: Share  tips & challenges. to Facebook Add Re: Organizing the kitchen: Share  tips & challenges. to MySpace Add Re: Organizing the kitchen: Share  tips & challenges. to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Organizing the kitchen: Share  tips & challenges. Add Re: Organizing the kitchen: Share  tips & challenges. to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Organizing the kitchen: Share  tips & challenges. to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Organizing the kitchen: Share  tips & challenges. to Stumbleupon Add Re: Organizing the kitchen: Share  tips & challenges. to Reddit
#731458 - 12/16/11 01:48 PM Re: Organizing the kitchen: Share tips & challenges. [Re: KellyJayne - Organization]
Tiger

Yes you can ask me anything Kelly!

I grew up around a mom that was abused physically, mentally, emotionally, verbally and so on.

She was the "barefoot, pregnant & in the kitchen" wife. I PROMISED myself that I would not end up that way.

Thank goodness Sylvester has no problem with sharing with the cooking and in fact does a better job than I do(lol).

But to be fair, I do get in there and muddle away and pray I don't poison him...

Thanks for the tips - will be using them...

#732204 - 12/19/11 11:52 PM Re: Organizing the kitchen: Share tips & challenges. [Re: KellyJayne - Organization]
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Dear Angela -

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. That is a shame. I think we are doing a better job in modern days of reaching out to abused women but clearly we still fall short. Do you know a woman is hit - in the US alone - every 9 seconds by an abusive partner? We need to create a climate where partners do not feel violence is OK, and where abuse victims have an easy to access safety net.

It's a shame that your perceptions of a part of a house were so permanently affected by what you went through. One would hope that a person's house as an adult felt completely like a "safe zone" - with every room included in that.

#732333 - 12/20/11 02:41 PM Re: Organizing the kitchen: Share tips & challenges. [Re: KellyJayne - Organization]
Tiger

Hi Lisa:

Thank you!

Yes, the more I am with Sylvester, the more I am finding myself wanting to cook(lol).

So I guess even at age 53, God does have a way of "healing" us.

I had to realize that he is a good man and has no problem with helping. I had run across too many men that were looking for someone to cook, clean and so on. They grew up with this way of thinking so I could not be mad. I just had to learn to "avoid" them.

You are doing an AWESOME job with this site and I thank God every day that I am able to visit. Not as much as I use to in the past, but I am "addicted"...

And it is a GOOD addiction.

Happy Holidays Lisa & Bella Family - 2012 is on its way with some AWESOME stuff for us ALL!!!

Edited by Angela J. Shirley (12/20/11 02:42 PM)

#732433 - 12/20/11 07:05 PM Re: Organizing the kitchen: Share tips & challenges. [Re: KellyJayne - Organization]
Lisa - Moms Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Loc: Arizona
Not exactly an organization tip as much as a saving time in the kitchen tip.
I read about this years ago and have used it ever since....

When putting silverware into the dishwasher to wash - sort the silverware as you are putting it in. One section of the silverware caddy for small spoons, one for large spoons, one for knives, etc. This makes the put away time easier and faster - especially when children are involved.

Moms Site

#732803 - 12/21/11 08:43 PM Re: Organizing the kitchen: Share tips & challenges. [Re: KellyJayne - Organization]
BellaOnline Editor

Dear Angela -

I'm so glad that you are healing, and I'm thrilled you enjoy our community smile We love having you with us!

#732805 - 12/21/11 08:44 PM Re: Organizing the kitchen: Share tips & challenges. [Re: KellyJayne - Organization]
BellaOnline Editor

Dear Lisa -

Just to offer another point of view, I deliberately do NOT do same-items in the silverware caddy smile The spoons are notorious for fitting into each other and therefore not getting fully clean. So I am always careful to have only one or two spoons mixed in with forks in order to keep them from "spooning". The knives have their own area with slots to keep them all separate from each other, so the blades get fully clean.

#733178 - 12/23/11 01:38 AM Re: Organizing the kitchen: Share tips & challenges. [Re: KellyJayne - Organization]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

Loc: Verde Valley, AZ
I do not have a dishwasher and try to have as few utensils as I can get away with. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KellyJayne - Organization 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Favorite Song?
by Nina Xie
Classical Music
Today at 06:13 AM
Replace one word (Music Titles)
by Rosie 66
Comedy Movies
Today at 05:22 AM
Replace one word... (new game)
by Rosie 66
Comedy Movies
Today at 05:01 AM
Word From Last Letter Game
by Rosie 66
Contests & Sweepstakes
Today at 04:53 AM
Are You Living Your Truth
by Tracy - Philosophy
Philosophy
Today at 04:18 AM
MAVEN is in Mars orbit!
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Today at 03:24 AM
Latch Hook
by Angie
Rugmaking
Yesterday at 10:42 PM
What Are You Proud of Today?
by Rayna - Depression Editor
Depression
Yesterday at 10:18 PM
How is your library senior friendly?
by Pam - Senior Issues
Senior Issues
Yesterday at 09:27 PM
Down Came the Rain by Brooke Shields Book Review
by Rayna - Depression Editor
Depression
Yesterday at 08:26 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 65 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.