Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
debbiebbb, Anne_0921, Ebnul Karim Benzima, Morr27, purat
56589 Registered Users
Forum Stats
56589 Members
417 Forums
111494 Topics
786333 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Beetlemess 273
Nancy Roussy 173
Rosie 66 155
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 130
loongdragon 113
James Andrew 109
Lestie4containergardens 71
Jilly 69
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 69
Susan - Meditation Editor 52
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#728239 - 11/30/11 06:24 PM Sign Language
Angela J. Shirley Offline
Tiger

Hi Bella Family:

I have always been fascinated with bus passengers that can "sign language" and wish I could learn this awesome other way of communicating.

Anyone out there "signs"...
If yes, how did you learn?

Add Sign Language to Twitter Add Sign Language to Facebook Add Sign Language to MySpace Add Sign Language to Del.icio.us Digg Sign Language Add Sign Language to Yahoo My Web Add Sign Language to Google Bookmarks Add Sign Language to Stumbleupon Add Sign Language to Reddit
#728243 - 11/30/11 06:28 PM Re: Sign Language [Re: Angela J. Shirley]
Yvonnie-Inspired Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Loc: Illinois, US
Using these great videos called "Signing Times", my girls & I work at learning sign language. It's wonderful. I remind them frequently that if they master it, they will be able to say that they are bilingual.

We are far from fluent, but do pretty well when we happen upon someone who is deaf.

Add Re: Sign Language to Twitter Add Re: Sign Language to Facebook Add Re: Sign Language to MySpace Add Re: Sign Language to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Sign Language Add Re: Sign Language to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Sign Language to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Sign Language to Stumbleupon Add Re: Sign Language to Reddit
#728263 - 11/30/11 07:25 PM Re: Sign Language [Re: Angela J. Shirley]
Deb - Animal Life Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko

Loc: Arizona
You might also want to check out The Pocket Dictionary Of Signing.

It is a convenient portable size with 600 American signs, complete with illustrations and meanings. I've found it very useful over the years.

The evolution of humankind can be measured by how its animals are treated.

Deb Duxbury
Animal Life Editor

Animal Life Forum
Facebook Page
Twitter

Add Re: Sign Language to Twitter Add Re: Sign Language to Facebook Add Re: Sign Language to MySpace Add Re: Sign Language to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Sign Language Add Re: Sign Language to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Sign Language to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Sign Language to Stumbleupon Add Re: Sign Language to Reddit
#734104 - 12/26/11 03:15 PM Re: Sign Language [Re: Angela J. Shirley]
ians58 Offline

Hi Angela I live in the UK and locally there are sign language classes in several locations (towns, cities mainly) throughout the UK. I was advised to join one and learn by my audiologist 12 months ago when I'd had my hearing re-tested (it had been getting a lot worse)and she said I should stsart while I can still hear reasonably well with my hearing aids. It is a really great way for anyone who is deaf to mkeet other people who are having the same xperiences and I guess for hearing people it can be a great way of getting an insight into what life is like for those of us who are deaf. Best wishes Ian

#734115 - 12/26/11 03:54 PM Re: Sign Language [Re: Angela J. Shirley]
Tiger

Hi Bella Family:

Thanks for stopping by and sharing.

I will need to do some research and see if there are any classes here locally.

I was wondering if it is best to do it online or in person?

Hugs,
A

Edited by Angela J. Shirley (12/26/11 03:54 PM)

#735530 - 12/29/11 05:21 PM Re: Sign Language [Re: Angela J. Shirley]
sara1955 Offline
Gecko

Loc: Lamesa TX
I went to a local college and learned sign language. It was a great experience and I recommend it as a learning tool. In person, you can ask questions, you get more interaction, and you can find the differing signs for differing regions! Several colleges offer sign language as an accredited course and some offer it as a continuing education course.

#735657 - 12/29/11 07:56 PM Re: Sign Language [Re: Angela J. Shirley]
Tiger

Hi Sara:

Thanks for the info - I will check it out.

APPRECIATE you stopping by to share with us!

#764700 - 05/25/12 04:49 PM Re: Sign Language [Re: Angela J. Shirley]
AKLisa- Knitting Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko

Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
there are a lot of regional differences with those who use sign language. If you can befriend a member of the deaf community in your area, you will have a huge help to getting to know the local dialect.

Moderator:  Felicity Deafness 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
International Dark Sky Week - Save the Night!
by Lestie4containergardens
Astronomy
3 seconds ago
What My Spirituality Is!
by loongdragon
Spirituality
Today at 06:08 AM
Breaking Up by Ignoring Someone
by Anne_0921
Dating
Today at 04:49 AM
How do i make my skin soft,clear and fair?
by kiwistech
Cosmetics
Today at 02:09 AM
Gardening Bumper Stickers
by Lestie4containergardens
Container Gardening
Today at 01:37 AM
Yoga Relieves Back Pain
by Terri - Exercise/Yoga Editor
Yoga
Yesterday at 11:51 PM
The Way of the Bodhisattva
by Lisa - Buddhism
Buddhism
Yesterday at 11:15 PM
What is your stress level today?
by Nancy Roussy
Stress Management
Yesterday at 11:14 PM
The Bar Method a Body Sculpting Workout
by Terri - Exercise/Yoga Editor
Exercise
Yesterday at 11:06 PM
The Haunting of Chretien Point
by ParanormalHost
Paranormal
Yesterday at 10:46 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
2 registered (Lestie4containergardens, Izeigo), 81 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.