Print Thread
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Jane, this is a masterful piece of writing. It is powerful, and I hope many people read it. The link is below to make it easy to find. I was completely blown away by your article. Thank you-today and every day because you lead us to think in different ways.

Thanksgiving-The Forgotten History

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Connie, thank you for your kind words and for adding the link. After the research and writing I had to step away and settle my emotions. Sometimes these things are hard to share and even harder to rise above the pain and reach the inspiration.

I knew the story of the First Thanksgiving was mostly myth. But I learned so much for this article, it was worth the emotional workout.

On to the Festivities!!

We'll be heading out to the Tribal Grounds in the morning for a Native Thanksgiving. I'm bringing my husband, the "Pilgrim." His European family has only been in the US for a few generations, so he more than qualifies, but refuses to wear the big hat smile

We'll have a bountiful meal tomorrow and work on projects the rest of the weekend. A truly traditional Indian gathering! There will surely be some squash and venison along with the Turkey and pumpkin pie. Good cooks abound among the Cherokee of Georgia.

What other traditional dishes will everyone be enjoying this weekend?

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Our family story says that my mother's father was half Cherokee from Georgia. I haven't been able to find any genealogical evidence that the story is true, but Mama was a great cook!

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Here's a link to the context of Winslow's letter. Thankfully, it includes a modern version. The v instead of u in the original can be confusing, along with the spelling changes over the centuries.

One thing which struck me odd was use of the word "Corne." I had a dear friend who grew up in post WWII France. They used the word Maize for American corn, and wheat was referred to as corn. When the soldiers were told they needed "corn" for bread, they delivered corn meal.

We'll no doubt be having corn bread tomorrow, but it was most problematic for the French after the war. According to my friend, when corn meal is substituted for wheat flour in the recipe for French bread, you end up with adobe bricks smile

Primary Sources for the Pilgrims' Thanksgiving

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Connie, I think cooking talents may be genetically passed in our families. They run in my family and my Tribe as well.

With a full family tree and some research, you may be able to document your maternal Grandfather's heritage. There were many Cherokee who fled the Removal to SC, GA, FL and AL. Despite hiding their ethnicity, or joining other groups, connections to those listed on the Rolls have been found. There has been so much research done in the past decades.

Wishing you and your family a Wonderful Thanksgiving!

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
V
V
thank you for sharing Thanksgiving the forgotten story. At our Native language class this past weekend,, we were blessed that our 2 teachers shared a Native ( thanksgiving blessing/ prayer ) with us. It was in the Native language.. and had been translated into several other Native languages of our area. Though the original was something like 3 pages. they shared a small bit of it with us :)

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:59 AM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:15 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.