Next Thread
Print Thread
#726229 11/17/11 06:24 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
We are about to officially enter the holiday season. With that come the demands. Especially the demands for our time and money. It's far too easy to say yes to every request that comes along. Especially for women, we tend to be wired to please. We hate to disappoint. But it's just not prudent, nor healthy to say yes to every request. Too many yeses will send us to the land of resentment. And that's not a pretty place to visit.

So the question is what can we do to to regain some balance? How do you say no and feel good about it? Or do you find yourself struggling with it and saying yes more than you would like?

Kelly Jayne McCann
Organization Editor

Don't forget to sign up for the How To Organize Newsletter. It's filled with practical tips and links to great resources!

Learn about me - I teach people how to organize, clear clutter, set goals & get things done!
My mantra: Clear your clutter - Find your happy!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
It's not that I wish to please, I think. I am way too self absorbed for that. but that I hate to be perceived as a slacker, a failure or disorganized person. That is why for me it is hard to say no.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Welcome Kelly Jayne!

You are so right. I was the 'yes' girl. Only recently have I found my power of 'no'.

How do I do it? I often start out saying, let me think about it. Then, if my spirit (or my schedule) never feels like yes, I simply say "No, not this time." Or, "No, maybe next time." Or, "No, I've got too much on my plate already." Or, "No," with a smile of course; in these instances I only offer a reason if I am asked. Sometimes the answer is, "I feel like something else is lurking in my schedule & I just don't have it on my calendar," because that is usually the truth.

I must say, I've also prefaced everyone on the fact that I am learning to say no.

I am thoroughly enjoying the rewards. I've committed myself to making this a habit (thinking b4 committing).

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
Hi Yvonnie. Good for you! It sounds like you have mastered the skill of saying no. It's not always easy to say no but it sure makes life more enjoyable in the end. I love your phrase "thinking b4 committing". Thanks for sharing!

Kelly Jayne McCann
Organization Editor

Don't forget to sign up for the How To Organize Newsletter. It's filled with practical tips and links to great resources!

Learn about me - I teach people how to organize, clear clutter, set goals & get things done!
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
Hi Jill. I totally understand how you don't want to be perceived as a slacker or in any other less than flattering way. I struggle with that same thing sometimes. But I wonder if it's really true or have I projected what I think people will think. When someone says no to me I never judge them, so it's not realistic for me to think others are judging me. What I am trying to say is I doubt we have any evidence that would support the belief that people may see us in an unflattering light when we say no. It's more likely they will respect us for setting appropriate boundaries.

Kelly Jayne McCann
Organization Editor

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Kelly Jayne -

We have a free online course here on learning to say no -

http://www.bellaonline.com/course/

I think much of it is practice! The more we can practice saying no, the easier it gets over time!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
Originally Posted By: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames

We have a free online course here on learning to say no -

http://www.bellaonline.com/course/

I think much of it is practice! The more we can practice saying no, the easier it gets over time!

That's great to hear Lisa. I will remember it as a resource. I include a question of the week in my newsletter along with a related how-to micro article. This week the question was 'how do you say no', hence the posting here. Hopefully some readers will pop on over and chime in.

Kelly Jayne McCann
Organization Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Practice makes perfect...

I believe this, thus my commitment. Kelly Jayne, I am still practicing.

Love your question of the week idea. I think I'll try it.

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I have some people that want more free time from me than i have. I really don't know how to tell them no without sounding like I don't like them. Suggestions?

Moderated by  KellyJayne - Organization 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.