Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
tuvwxy363528, nopqrs050704, ijklmn820729, klmnop851537, vwxyz{471683
57203 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57195 Members
417 Forums
112992 Topics
800589 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Rosie 66 688
Beetlemess 283
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 267
Nancy Roussy 181
Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 109
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 98
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 91
Susan - Meditation Editor 48
Sandra Investing/HFinance 46
Mona - Astronomy 40
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#724689 - 11/10/11 07:27 AM Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective
Jane - Native American Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Loc: Southeast Georgia
This Friday, Nov 11th is Veteran's Day. In other countries it is designated as Armistice Day or Remembrance Day, but to American Indians it is truly a Sacred day for tradition.

Being from a large Southern family with many Veterans, I share in the tradition of honoring all warriors. But many don't know about the vast number of American Indians who have served and their dramatic contributions. This week's article shares some of the details.

Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective

This article was like piecing together a puzzle, and most definitely a learning experience! With so much military history, there are thousands of pieces to this puzzle, each with a story.
One of the best ways to honor those who have served is to share their stories.

Please join us and share a story for Veteran's Day.

Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia

Add Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective to Twitter Add Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective to Facebook Add Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective to MySpace Add Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective to Del.icio.us Digg Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective Add Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective to Yahoo My Web Add Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective to Google Bookmarks Add Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective to Stumbleupon Add Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective to Reddit
#724691 - 11/10/11 07:50 AM Re: Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective [Re: Jane - Native American]
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

I had heard about Code Talkers in World War I, but had no idea this was started by Cherokee and Choctaw soldiers.

According to Wikipedia, Company Commander Cpt. Lawrence overhearing two of his soldiers talking got it started. There were 6 more Choctaw in that battalion, and another 6 in the Division.

The Choctaw Code was developed just in time to be used during the last German surge in France. Within 24 hours of its use, their advance had been stalled. Within 3 days, the Germans were retreating.

An overheard conversation between Solomon Louis and Mitchell Bobb ended up helping defeat the invading Germans in World War I.

Edited by Jane - Native American (11/10/11 07:52 AM)

Add Re: Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective to Twitter Add Re: Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective to Facebook Add Re: Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective to MySpace Add Re: Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective Add Re: Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective to Stumbleupon Add Re: Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective to Reddit
#724786 - 11/10/11 06:45 PM Re: Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective [Re: Jane - Native American]
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Here's another story for Veteran's Day, previously shared by Phyllis. Thanks for this great article!

Ira Hayes Immortalized In Time

Add Re: Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective to Twitter Add Re: Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective to Facebook Add Re: Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective to MySpace Add Re: Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective Add Re: Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective to Stumbleupon Add Re: Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective to Reddit
#724788 - 11/10/11 07:08 PM Re: Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective [Re: Jane - Native American]
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Learning about the different Code Talkers was fascinating. In World War II, the Marines used Navajo and the Army used Cherokee, Choctaw, Comanche, Meskwaki, and Lakota.

The codes that were established used substitutions to increase their strength against being cracked. In Comanche, the word "Turtle" was used for tank, and "Sewing Machine" was code for machine gun. Hitler had a Comanche code name too, it translates as "Crazy White Man."

#726187 - 11/17/11 07:45 PM Re: Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective [Re: Jane - Native American]
NDNRiter76 Offline

Hi Jane, New to this posting but wanted to reply to your Veteran's Day writing and our Native patriotism. In my growing up, I remember being taken to our Pawnee tribal 'gatherings' by my grandparents and still remember the Veteran's Day events during WWII - the beautiful shawls our women wore - decorated with ribbons and beads, sometimes with their sons and relations names on them. The few remaining veterans from WWI sat in places of honor. Yes, our Indian people have a lengthy history of patriotism and love for our country. I hope it is still being carried on among all the tribes throughout our country.

#726481 - 11/18/11 09:20 PM Re: Veteran's Day with a Native Perspective [Re: Jane - Native American]
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Welcome to the forum NDNriter76,
I've not been fortunate to attend gatherings outside of the southern US, except for one up in CT many years ago.

At every event I have attended down here, respecting and honoring all veterans remains an important part, just as with the Pawnee. Several of my friends, and I, have military pins we wear in honor of our family veterans on our shawls and/or regalia. Others include service and campaign patches.

My best friend joined us at Strong Sun Pow Wow in NC this past July. It was her first time attending an event. She was quite impressed and commented on the respect and honor paid to all veterans there.

Thank you again for joining us. We would certainly enjoy other memories you can share of the Pawnee gatherings you attended with your Grandparents. Please feel free to start a new topic so we can learn more of the Pawnee.

Moderator:  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Etsy Contests and Giveaways
by Trish-Contest/Sweepstakes
Contests & Sweepstakes
23 minutes 47 seconds ago
Word From Last Letter Game
by Rosie 66
Contests & Sweepstakes
Today at 05:03 AM
Replace one word (Music Titles)
by Rosie 66
Comedy Movies
Today at 04:31 AM
Replace one word... (new game)
by Rosie 66
Comedy Movies
Today at 04:16 AM
Southwestern Shrimp & Eggs - a late nite crave!
by Allyson - USACook/HomeCook
American Regional Cuisine
Yesterday at 10:59 PM
100 days of gratitude
by Lynne - ChristianLiving
Christian Living
Yesterday at 06:55 PM
Rosetta has arrived!!!
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Yesterday at 06:17 PM
Are You Limiting Your Imagination
by Tracy - Philosophy
Philosophy
Yesterday at 06:12 PM
Reincarnation of sisters in Hexham
by ParanormalHost
Paranormal
Yesterday at 04:57 PM
Shopping at Walmart Game
by Sandra Investing/HFinance
Home Finance
Yesterday at 04:33 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.