Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#724401 11/08/11 11:25 PM
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Bella Family:

It took my only child moving away to college at age 18 for me to begin texting(lol).

It was either LEARN or never hear from her!!!!

Now I am in love with texting - so convenient and private. Not like the cell phone when no matter how hard you may try to keep your voice low, someone is sure to hear your conversation.

What are your thoughts on texting?

Now on the flip side of things, I am so over everyone including the city bus driver "texting" instead of paying attention to their driving. Only God has kept me safe on my bus rides as I can tell you some "near" misses. Sorry, but there needs to be some tougher measures for "texting" drivers.

And get this, it is against the city bus company rules to be texting, but does that stop some rebel bus drivers...

Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
Shark
Shark
S
I just started texting also. It took my adult kids to get me on board. Texting works for me when I am busy.
I have see many people texting or using a hand held cell phone when driving. In most states it is against the law. However,it doesn't stop people.
Embroidery Fashions Boutique

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi sundancer:

Yes, a lot of folks continue to break the law and end up surviving a crash but killing INNOCENT folks in this rebellion.

Thanks for stopping by and sharing...

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Texting is the one technology/fad/communication tool that I don't like. Most of the time I find it takes longer to type and send the message than to make a phone call!

I do have people that text and will reply but very rarely do I select texting as way to communicate.

How about when you are in a room of people and they are texting each other? So odd.

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Yep, I agree Allison.

And I have some folks who only text(lol). Some say they get unlimited texts vs. very expensive phone plans with limited minutes.

Forget trying to get them to return calls or emails blush smile blush

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Love this topic. Yes I text.

I have a smart phone. In August my 9 year old left my 4G iPhone in Whole Foods (she was managing the grocery list on it). I really did mourn the loss of that phone. Even though I know that sometimes you have to lose things to make room for better things and better times, I could not properly communicate with anyone via text after that.

Just got the new 4GS & guess what? I can tell the phone what to text. Hands free texting while I drive! Love it!

That said, I still only manage to do it in a traffic jam or at a stop light. There is something to be said about trying to concentrate on driving and dictating a message at the same time.

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
That is AWESOME Yvonne, I did not realize they had that technology, but again, keep in mind that at age 53 I am still attached to my prepaid AT&T Go Phone(lol).

Now my boyfriend finally kicked his prepaid TracFone to the curb and now has some T-Mobile Smartphone - there are so many versions, but either way, he had to study the manual that came with it - Yikes!!!

But he loves it and I am glad he went ahead and got it as our finances finally start to improve. Thank you Jesus smile

D
D
I thought at first it was foolish and now I realize that it is very time effective in certain situations. It is a quick way to communicate info, so I use it regularly on a daily basis.

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi DJ:

Thanks for commenting - much appreciated!

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
I love texting. I prefer it to all other forms of communication. I love how I don't have to make up small talk, or dawdle on the phone while trying to figure out how to say goodbye. I love the simplicity, ease and speed of texting.

It took getting a smart phone to enjoy texting, I will caveat.

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Jilly:

Thanks for stopping by and sharing with us - much APPRECIATED!

Texting is great, I am just missing the "personal" conversations with my only child(lol).

At age 25, she stays busy but is learning to SURPRISE me, like yesterday at work - with a phone call. It was so NICE hearing her voice with her still being in Orlando, Florida and me now in Columbus, Georgia.

Hugs,
A

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Great question!!! My daughter taught me to text about 7 years ago. I didn't do it alot, but now I do. My kids text me a lot. The schools are now allowing kids to text while walking through the halls, but they made the punishment stricter if they text in class.

My kids text me questions during the day. My son texts me to ask if he can go play at his friends. While we have plenty of face to face time in the evening and/or weekends, texting lets me know what they are up to during the day. The only time anyone ever texted me while we were both home was when my daughter was really sick and couldn't get out of bed and I was downstairs working on stuff, I kept my phone in my pocket and told her to text me if she needed something so she wouldn't need to come downstairs to find me.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Awesome Dianne, I would never of thought of that. That goes to prove that if used "wisely" - texting can be a HUGE help!

Gecko
Gecko
Yeah. All the time. I live via texting! Hehe.

I love music, movies!! I write at mag for women in free time.
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I honestly don't want to communicate with my phone as a phone now. Texting is brilliant!

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Since I work during the day talking on the phone to people, I do NOT want to talk on the phone when I get home. Thank goodness for texting! I know it sounds horrible but during the week I only want people to call me if what they have to say is too long to text or if they are driving.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I am like that with people, too, Maria. I make everyone text me unless it's really important. I pretty much won't answer the phone unless it's a call i am expecting or need.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Oooohhhh and I hate when someone texts and says call me! Just tell me what you want already! lol

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I am an anti-phone person, especially because I primarily work nights to do coding while the servers are quiet. When someone calls me and wakes me up mid-day I'm not very happy about it. I like email because I can answer them when I am awake.

So that all being said, to add texting to our phone would be another $10/month and we're not willing to do that. Our phone gets email. It seems redundant to add text to that as well. If it was free we might.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Gecko
Gecko
This may sound sad but my whole social network revolves around texting. I rarely call; just don't have time for it. When we make plans to meet somewhere, we text. When we just want to say hello, we text. When we need help with something, we text. That's what we have learned to make work for us...

diamond engagement rings
*www.encoredt.com
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Encore, me too. I can't handle actual phone calls any more, and I don't even like emails these days. Texts are the perfect amount for information exchange without being a stressor.

E
E
Yes I text and I have checked my averaged texts for a month in 2013 it was more than 1000 messages per month and back in 2012 I was sent almost 30000 messages in whole year :)

N
N
No.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
This thread was started six and a half years ago. I imagine the number of people who text has greatly increased since then. Although I occasionally find it handy to text, I don't do it to chat - there are better ways than texting for that. It's helpful to get text reminders of appointments. Unhelpful to have my phone provider trying to sell me new features when I don't use most of the ones I have.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I used to never text, but we finally got a plan that happened to include free texting. Now we text fairly regularly. It's quick and easy. Anything that saves time for me right now is a win.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Originally Posted by Mona - Astronomy
Although I occasionally find it handy to text, I don't do it to chat - there are better ways than texting for that. It's helpful to get text reminders of appointments.

I'm getting so I text quite a bit now but it's more to share information. Kids text a lot and I'm in the group so I hear from my kids.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.