Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
Manisha Pal, Rain_2014, EmmaIsherwood, fit4fashion, ashjoielee
57314 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57314 Members
417 Forums
113293 Topics
803887 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 615
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 383
Jana - Creativity Editor 289
Beetlemess 286
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 80
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 61
Dorcy 58
Nancy Roussy 52
Susan - Meditation Editor 47
Linu 47
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#721324 - 10/24/11 10:29 PM Thai Basil
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

OK the thai basil has been trimmed. Anyone know of good ideas to do with these? Will they last the winter?

The thai basil has lovely flowers smile

These are all going in our dining area window, on a steel set of shelves. We'll do our best to keep them alive.

Add Thai Basil to Twitter Add Thai Basil to Facebook Add Thai Basil to MySpace Add Thai Basil to Del.icio.us Digg Thai Basil Add Thai Basil to Yahoo My Web Add Thai Basil to Google Bookmarks Add Thai Basil to Stumbleupon Add Thai Basil to Reddit
#721392 - 10/25/11 03:55 AM Re: Thai Basil [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Lori - Marriage Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Loc: Orange, CA USA
Ohhh! Thai basil!!! So fragrant and delicious!

So many Thai dishes call for this aromatic basil--fresh. It gives certain curries, soups, and sauces a distinctively Thai flavor.

But you can use Thai basil in non-Thai dishes, too, like omelets. You can place leaves in steaming rice (oh, wait. You're low carb!) You can use a mortar and pestle to crush the leaves and add to mayo. Store whole leaves in vegetable oils to infuse with flavor. Add some minced leaves along with sliced scallions and chopped cilantro, olive oil, salt, pepper, and either fresh lime juice or balsamic vinegar for a delicious green salsa reminiscent of chimichurri sauce for meats or roasted vegetables.

The thing is you should harvest the leaves before the flowers appear. Once the plant flowers, the leaves can get a little bitter.

If you're asking what to do with the plant...just be sure to keep it out of the frost or it will not survive the winter! It is a tropical plant that loves warm weather!

BellaOnline.com Marriage
Twitter: @BellaMarriage

Dreams editor
Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Add Re: Thai Basil to Twitter Add Re: Thai Basil to Facebook Add Re: Thai Basil to MySpace Add Re: Thai Basil to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Thai Basil Add Re: Thai Basil to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Thai Basil to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Thai Basil to Stumbleupon Add Re: Thai Basil to Reddit
#721400 - 10/25/11 04:24 AM Re: Thai Basil [Re: Lori - Marriage]
Elleise - Clairvoyance Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra

Loc: IL
Great plant! I agree...

If it were my plant, I'd pinch the flowers off and repot the rest. I'd turn the little guy over and take a look at the roots to see if they're binding (wrapping around eachother).

If there's holes in the bottom of the pot and you water it and the soil runs brown - rust like, there's a good chance it could stand some newer soil. It may have drained all of the nutrients out of the soil it's in.

When a plant is binding or I think it is, I turn it upside down and pry it out of the container and release the roots with my fingers under some water. I may or may not trim the roots but I'll put it in a larger container with some tiny rocks at the bottom of the planter too so the roots have good drainage.

Repot it in like Miracle Grow AT NIGHT so it can recover after surgery, lol and maybe get a plant light or great window sill.

If you pluck leaves before flowering, it sends a message to the plant to produce more leaves. Leaves are how they get their energy, like solar panels. smile

Edited by Elleise - Clairvoyance (10/25/11 04:31 AM)

Add Re: Thai Basil to Twitter Add Re: Thai Basil to Facebook Add Re: Thai Basil to MySpace Add Re: Thai Basil to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Thai Basil Add Re: Thai Basil to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Thai Basil to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Thai Basil to Stumbleupon Add Re: Thai Basil to Reddit
#722871 - 11/02/11 12:57 AM Re: Thai Basil [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
BellaOnline Editor

This is in a container, so we didn't have to repot or anything, we just pruned it and brought it inside. Now the three basil plants are sitting on a shelf by our dining area sliding glass door. So far they seem to be doing OK!

I have three bowls on the kitchen counter, one with each basil's leaves in it - so those leaves are what I'm trying to do something with. Now that we have power again smile

#722882 - 11/02/11 01:17 AM Re: Thai Basil [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
BellaOnline Editor

Here's a photo from the summer when it was outside -

#722992 - 11/02/11 11:52 AM Re: Thai Basil [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Rebecca G. Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Loc: Wisconsin
I don't see why it won't keep during the winter as long as you keep your electricity and stay warm smile

Moderator:  Bettina-Dogs/Herbs Editor 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
New game - Quote it
by Jana - Creativity Editor
Creativity
Yesterday at 08:30 PM
Game - The Sandwich
by Rayna - Depression Editor
Depression
Yesterday at 08:24 PM
Preparing Your Home for SAD
Depression
Yesterday at 07:07 PM
What Are You Proud of Today?
Depression
Yesterday at 06:39 PM
Word From Last Letter Game
Contests & Sweepstakes
Yesterday at 06:09 PM
Replace one word (Music Titles)
Comedy Movies
Yesterday at 06:09 PM
Music ABC game
Pop Music
Yesterday at 06:06 PM
Name a Classic Toy Game
Creativity
Yesterday at 06:00 PM
Fall Fun Word Game
by "Rosie"
Investing
Yesterday at 04:45 PM
New game
by "Rosie"
History
Yesterday at 04:32 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 62 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.