Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
ninahaska, ovinovin7, amrapaligolf, Nancy Smith, Ballrealty
56553 Registered Users
Forum Stats
56553 Members
417 Forums
111404 Topics
785827 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Beetlemess 284
Nancy Roussy 167
loongdragon 159
Rosie 66 143
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 139
James Andrew 99
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 97
Lestie4containergardens 58
Allyson - USACook/HomeCook 54
Mona - Astronomy 48
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#722980 - 11/02/11 10:16 AM It's NOVEMBER - Native American Heritage Month
Jane - Native American Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Loc: Southeast Georgia
November can be a crazy, busy month, with so much to do before the Holidays. But hopefully we can take some time to learn, share, and experience something "Indian" this month, other than the pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving. There is so much in our Country that we think of as American, but more precisely, it's Native American. Foods, local phrases and names, are a few.

This week's article is on how November came to finally be the time of recognition for all the influence and contributions the First Americans continue to share with the United States.

November is Native American Heritage Month

Edited by Jane - Native American (11/02/11 10:42 AM)
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia

Add It's NOVEMBER - Native American Heritage Month to Twitter Add It's NOVEMBER - Native American Heritage Month to Facebook Add It's NOVEMBER - Native American Heritage Month to MySpace Add It's NOVEMBER - Native American Heritage Month to Del.icio.us Digg It's NOVEMBER - Native American Heritage Month Add It's NOVEMBER - Native American Heritage Month to Yahoo My Web Add It's NOVEMBER - Native American Heritage Month to Google Bookmarks Add It's NOVEMBER - Native American Heritage Month to Stumbleupon Add It's NOVEMBER - Native American Heritage Month to Reddit
#722988 - 11/02/11 11:43 AM Re: It's NOVEMBER - Native American Heritage Month [Re: Jane - Native American]
Jane - Native American Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Loc: Southeast Georgia
Several departments of the Federal Government issue a poster for American Indian Heritage Month. I've been given a few of them over the years. This one from 1998 is my favorite and was gifted to me by a former client. It was hung across from my desk so I could enjoy it.

I was hoping to find this one on-line, as the photo doesn't show the detail. No luck with that or finding information on the artisit R. Kemp. But I did find a few of the more recent posters at these links

USGS - National Native American Heritage Month Posters

The Diversity Store has several available for purchase, but they don't appear to have the year on them.

American Indian Heritage Month Posters
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia

Add Re: It's NOVEMBER - Native American Heritage Month to Twitter Add Re: It's NOVEMBER - Native American Heritage Month to Facebook Add Re: It's NOVEMBER - Native American Heritage Month to MySpace Add Re: It's NOVEMBER - Native American Heritage Month to Del.icio.us Digg Re: It's NOVEMBER - Native American Heritage Month Add Re: It's NOVEMBER - Native American Heritage Month to Yahoo My Web Add Re: It's NOVEMBER - Native American Heritage Month to Google Bookmarks Add Re: It's NOVEMBER - Native American Heritage Month to Stumbleupon Add Re: It's NOVEMBER - Native American Heritage Month to Reddit
#727924 - 11/28/11 07:20 PM Re: It's NOVEMBER - Native American Heritage Month [Re: Jane - Native American]
tigger2094 Offline

Loc: jacksonville, fl
my daughters' school has a native american day in november. the whole month, they learn about four different cultures in each of the corners of the united states. they have a shoebox diorama to complete for their social studies grade that week. then they do a day where they taste authentic foods and do crafts. when i asked my daughter what they ate, she said rice and pumpkin pie! of course, the person who was trying to organize what foods to bring left a message on my voice mail-that i received too late to cook anything-to bring rice, corn bread, pumpkin pie, and turkey. what happened to learning the culture? that sounds like an asian-infused thanksgiving dinner, with a side of french pastry. (pumpkins are so american, but the traditional pumpkin pie that we all eat is not so much native as it is mixing of cultures) so, i am hoping to bring something to her classroom to sample as well as some crafts my oldest daughter has done with her grandfather. she has a beautiful dream catcher, a drum and stick set, and several pieces of jewelry and hair pieces they have made together. i am trying to find a couple of simple recipes, something easily portable and easy to make. and, of course, because some of the children might not be allowed to eat certain things, we have to keep the food list to what is available at the grocery store. (no deer, acorn, etc) hm...i wonder if a native american "class" is just the kind of project my little brownies and daisies would be interested in...

Add Re: It's NOVEMBER - Native American Heritage Month to Twitter Add Re: It's NOVEMBER - Native American Heritage Month to Facebook Add Re: It's NOVEMBER - Native American Heritage Month to MySpace Add Re: It's NOVEMBER - Native American Heritage Month to Del.icio.us Digg Re: It's NOVEMBER - Native American Heritage Month Add Re: It's NOVEMBER - Native American Heritage Month to Yahoo My Web Add Re: It's NOVEMBER - Native American Heritage Month to Google Bookmarks Add Re: It's NOVEMBER - Native American Heritage Month to Stumbleupon Add Re: It's NOVEMBER - Native American Heritage Month to Reddit
#727938 - 11/28/11 08:40 PM Re: It's NOVEMBER - Native American Heritage Month [Re: Jane - Native American]
Rayna - Depression Editor Offline
Jellyfish

Loc: SE USA
I had no idea about the significance of this month and I live in Alabama! You'd think they would've mentioned it all over the place.

Rayna Edwards
Depression Site

Moderator:  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
How to Thread a Sewing Machine
by John Alexander
Sewing
23 minutes 11 seconds ago
Leather Sewing Tips
by John Alexander
Sewing
26 minutes 38 seconds ago
How to Sew a Zipper on Clothing
by John Alexander
Sewing
34 minutes 36 seconds ago
How to Sew a Shirred Skirt
by John Alexander
Sewing
38 minutes 50 seconds ago
Daily World Peace Group Meditation
by Susan - Meditation Editor
Meditation
Today at 12:58 PM
Easter Week Meditation
Meditation
Today at 12:54 PM
Soothe Yourself
by Dr J Webb - Mental Health
Mental Health
Today at 12:41 PM
Get Rid of Body Fat With Garcinia Cambogia?
by BB -Body Care
Body Care
Today at 12:37 PM
i have no idea what to wear? Please help ?
by Jai Young
Women's Fashion
Today at 12:11 PM
Soup du jour
Sandwiches
Today at 10:51 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
1 registered (Izeigo), 124 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.