logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Pad thai (boring, I know!), glass noodle soup, and red chicken curry - mildly spicy, please.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Larb gai - or other types of larb...

G
G
I don't eat in Thai restaurants in England anymore, the last one I did eat in was David Thompsons Nahm before it closed so he could focus on the Bangkok branch and it was excellent. I have lived in Thailand and cook my own Thai favourites 3 or 4 nights a week and know its closer to real-deal food than I could get at a take away here in London. Nam prik ong - a nam prik is a relish or dip, we don't really have a word for what it is in English. This is one with tomatoes and ground pork and is served with par boiled or raw veg. Kaeng Som - sour curry, normally Kaeng Som Pla, sour curry with fish, might appear on an menu as an "orange curry" and is one of the non-coconut milk based curries. Sen Lek Moo Look Chin Nam - a noodle and pork meat ball soup, similar to Pho but quicker to make! Kaeng Hang-Lay - this is a Thai version of a Burmese curry, its quite dry but seriously tasty, with pork and star anise and peanuts, no coconut milk again - have a look at thehonestwok.com for a really good recipe. Tom kem pla sy keun chai - this is a salty, sweet fish dish that just cries out for a load of rice to mop up the sauce with, with garlic and coriander root and palm sugar this is a truly representative taste of Thailand. Kaeng Panaeng neua - Panang curry with beef, rich and salty, coconut'tee and hot - finshed with the fresh anise taste of Thai basil (Bai horapha) this is a firm favourite of my other half as well as myself.... Moo krob - crispy pork, often deep fried pork belly, served with nam pla prik, chilies in fish sauce, this is perfect snack food for when you're having a few drinks.... Oh and Khannom jeen! These are slightly fermented thin rice noodles, they are impossible to get outside of Thailand fresh but similar dried noodles are available, and the dish of Khannom jeen nam ya pla - a refreshing fish and green bean dish with a grachai (lesser ginger/key ginger) based sauce and a poached egg is the perfect mid morning snack!

Last edited by gladstone; 04/17/13 04:02 AM.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  MaryAnneThaiFood 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.