logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#721713 10/26/11 11:14 AM
H
OP Offline
H
Would like thoughts/guidance regarding family portraits and the liberties thereof. Next month, I have asked extended family to be available for a Christmas portrait that I will fund. The photographer will shoot both extended family as well as the family units. Is it appropriate and acceptable for the family units to expect me to provide negatives of their shoot/pose for the purpose of producing their own Christmas card portrait, at no cost?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
No, you are providing a service, organizing, to help family members have the opportunity to purchase a large group photo. You are paying for your own pictures. They can pay for theirs.

You might have someone say, "But I'm spending my time taking this photo. Don't I deserve something for my time?" Of course they do. They deserve the right to purchase a photo, just as you are going to purchase one.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
hamlinje, this is very much like calling a bunch of friends/family and inviting them to lunch. It can be touchy, if you are doing the inviting and don't say anything about cost, people may assume that you will pay the cost of the meal and leave the tip.

I agree with Connie, however, since this lovely idea is yours, I think you must go beyond asking everyone to be available and requesting their time for a portrait. You should tell them before the action takes place, that you are happy to pay the photographer for services, but they are welcome to purchase negatives if they want to. Be up front about them purchasing the negatives, etc.

I suggest you present your question to the photographer who may be able to give you an idea of what to charge each member, should someone want buy a photo/negative for their own use.

M
M
There are some very top reasons to learn to take family portraits, and it's not necessary to be starting on the photography career to do this. Getting portraits appropriately done could be too costly for a lot of families. And frequently it can be hard to obtain everybody towards the studio in the scheduled time.

Last edited by Michelle Hurley; 02/01/12 02:58 AM.

Moderated by  Vannie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.