Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
I had a really hard time getting through the Grapes of Wrath -- John Steinbeck, Pulitzer & Nobel Prize winning author wrote this classic masterpiece & I absolutely hated it!

But I LOVED Moby Dick! Also, C&P by Fyodor Dostoyevsky which a lot of people do not like. Guess I march to the out of tune beats of my own drum :-)

Last edited by SG_Indian_Food; 08/23/11 07:32 PM.

SADHANA GINDE, Indian Food Editor

BellaOnline Training Manager, BellaOnline Forum Admin, BellaOnine FB Admin :-)

Indian Food Website

Dont forget to sign up for the Indian Food Newsletter!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
Yes, definitely, Debra! Stay tuned for that thread �

Thanks for your contributions, everyone. So here's the official BellaOnline Top Five Most Boring Classic Novels of All Time:

(Drum roll � )

Silmarillion � J. R. R. Tolkien
Tender is the Night � F. Scott Fitzgerald
War and Peace � Leo Tolstoy
Iliad � Homer
Grapes of Wrath � John Steinbeck

Sorry about the last one, Mona � it got a second vote at the last minute smile Luckily there are thousands of great books out there still, and I'm sure some of you are struggling, like me, to keep your to-read list manageable.

Happy reading!

Last edited by Lane LitFic; 08/26/11 11:22 AM.

Lane Graciano
Today in History
A
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
A
Just thought I'd drop by and say I've finally finished Anna Karenina via audiobook. There were two times that I was a little bored and must admit to hitting the fast forward button for a few minutes.

There was a time that I felt as though I could kill Anna myself and put her out of MY misery as she neurotically went back and forth between loving/trusting Vronsky and seeing betrayal in every minute word or expression - thinking her suicide would punish him.

I was surprised her husband took the baby girl from Vronsky, but then I suppose I don't understand Russian society and culture of that time.

All in all - I'd rather listen to the book than read it. It's wonderfully charming while you're cleaning the house or driving, but I think it would become mind-numbingly dull to read.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Originally Posted By: Lane LitFic
Originally Posted By: Horror_Movies_Editor
I really liked Lolita, the reason being because the way he talks about this girl is complete OBSESSION. It's amazing how the characters words are so possessed by this girl.

It is twisted that book however - you can imagine how a peadophile would think the thoughts he has. Still, it's a very powerful book - for so many reasons.

Steven, I've just read your Twilight article and really enjoyed it. It's such a shame that Bella is such a beloved character, especially now that Kristen Stewart embodies her. I guess my response to Lolita runs along the same lines � there are precious few female characters in literature, so to have a sexually precocious nymphet occupy one of the top spots really grates on my nerves. And then there's Bella � good grief! where are the Harry Potters for the girls?

I've heard and read about the power of Nabokov's writing, but knowing that he wrote several stories featuring an adolescent girl traveling with her middle-aged sexual partner (of which Lolita is just one), well � I would just as soon read a boring classic novel.

Thank-you so much, I really appreciate that. I think it's such a shame.

There's a huge difference actually there - I've only read Lolita out of Nabokov's books. She's a very strong minded character and completley gets all her own way, and not even using her sexuality - Lolita's a very complex character - I ended up loving her and hating the lead.

I agree, there's not enough female leads - but I have to point the fingure back at girls. I remember on watching nearly all the Harry Potter movies in the cinema that when Emma Watson came on the screen (my favorite character) - every time apart from the last two movies, a hoard of boos would go up against her from other young girls, which I was really shocked by, as she's intelligent and usually gets them out of the scrapes they're in - I love Hermionie.

Nancy Drew is still the only one I can think of for teens, that I feel is a positive role model.

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
"Whatever you do, don't - fall - asleep!"
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
Originally Posted By: Amy - Romance Movies
There was a time that I felt as though I could kill Anna myself and put her out of MY misery as she neurotically went back and forth between loving/trusting Vronsky and seeing betrayal in every minute word or expression - thinking her suicide would punish him.

LOL, I know what you mean, Amy. She's like Hamlet that way � such a modern character, annoyingly unheroic and neurotic.

Audiobooks are definitely the answer to some of the classics we've mentioned here, because at least you can spend your "reading" time engaged in something productive. You still get the benefit of the whole text and the ability to use your imagination, so it's not like just watching the movie version. Plus, the fast-forward button helps move things along! smile

Lane Graciano
Today in History
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
Well the Anne Radcliffe books are actually quite fun in their way but she does have a habit of building up climaxes and then nothing happens and then eventually you get a climax where something does happen and you've got a bit fed up! There's some beautiful descriptive writing though which is reminiscent of a Canaletto painting. I'd suggest starting with The Mysteries of Udolpho or The Italian and perhaps then give Romance of the Forest a try if you like the other two.

Gecko
Gecko
I know people just love this classic 'Wuthering Heights' but I found it extremely boring in the beginning, so didn't even complete it. Just read like 20-30 pages

I love music, movies!! I write at mag for women in free time.
E
Amoeba
Amoeba
E
I read a classic called 'North and South'and it was so boring. I can't remember the author though.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.