Next Thread
Print Thread
#721324 10/24/11 06:29 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK the thai basil has been trimmed. Anyone know of good ideas to do with these? Will they last the winter?

The thai basil has lovely flowers smile

These are all going in our dining area window, on a steel set of shelves. We'll do our best to keep them alive.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Lisa LowCarb #721392 10/24/11 11:55 PM
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Ohhh! Thai basil!!! So fragrant and delicious!

So many Thai dishes call for this aromatic basil--fresh. It gives certain curries, soups, and sauces a distinctively Thai flavor.

But you can use Thai basil in non-Thai dishes, too, like omelets. You can place leaves in steaming rice (oh, wait. You're low carb!) You can use a mortar and pestle to crush the leaves and add to mayo. Store whole leaves in vegetable oils to infuse with flavor. Add some minced leaves along with sliced scallions and chopped cilantro, olive oil, salt, pepper, and either fresh lime juice or balsamic vinegar for a delicious green salsa reminiscent of chimichurri sauce for meats or roasted vegetables.

The thing is you should harvest the leaves before the flowers appear. Once the plant flowers, the leaves can get a little bitter.

If you're asking what to do with the plant...just be sure to keep it out of the frost or it will not survive the winter! It is a tropical plant that loves warm weather!

BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Great plant! I agree...

If it were my plant, I'd pinch the flowers off and repot the rest. I'd turn the little guy over and take a look at the roots to see if they're binding (wrapping around eachother).

If there's holes in the bottom of the pot and you water it and the soil runs brown - rust like, there's a good chance it could stand some newer soil. It may have drained all of the nutrients out of the soil it's in.

When a plant is binding or I think it is, I turn it upside down and pry it out of the container and release the roots with my fingers under some water. I may or may not trim the roots but I'll put it in a larger container with some tiny rocks at the bottom of the planter too so the roots have good drainage.

Repot it in like Miracle Grow AT NIGHT so it can recover after surgery, lol and maybe get a plant light or great window sill.

If you pluck leaves before flowering, it sends a message to the plant to produce more leaves. Leaves are how they get their energy, like solar panels. smile

Last edited by Elleise - Clairvoyance; 10/25/11 12:31 AM.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Lisa LowCarb #722871 11/01/11 08:57 PM
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
This is in a container, so we didn't have to repot or anything, we just pruned it and brought it inside. Now the three basil plants are sitting on a shelf by our dining area sliding glass door. So far they seem to be doing OK!

I have three bowls on the kitchen counter, one with each basil's leaves in it - so those leaves are what I'm trying to do something with. Now that we have power again smile

Low Carb Forum
Lisa LowCarb #722882 11/01/11 09:17 PM
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Here's a photo from the summer when it was outside -

Low Carb Forum
Lisa LowCarb #722992 11/02/11 07:52 AM
R
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
R
I don't see why it won't keep during the winter as long as you keep your electricity and stay warm smile

Moderated by  Bettina-Dogs/Herbs Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.