Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
N
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
N

I am simmering sauerkraut right now for tonight.

I doctor a can with a half a head of fresh cabbage. I shred it then add it to the canned, then add enough water to cover it all. It double or triples the volume and makes for a sweeter, milder kraut. It needs to simmer for a few hours. Add water as it boils off.

I will boil up some potato and carrot later and cook a small pork chop, ALL the fat cut off. I may make some applesauce from scratch too. Have to go buy some apples. I have a friend who has an apple orchard and she usually supplies me with a case in the fall that lasts me through the year but I am all out now, it's June.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Navigarr, how do you keep your apples from deteriorating? I have tried a few things from newspaper between them to dark cellar and cardboard. Your dinner sounds absolutely delicious too. I love saurkraut!

Tonight I'll be making my rendition of Olive Garden's salad dressing, homemade bread or breadsticks and minestrone soup. I have some fresh veggies and some frozen tomatoes from last year.

Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
N
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
N

No secret really. When I first get the case I go through it apple by apple and take out any that show the slightest beginning of deteriorattion. THOSE I use immediately, make applesauce. Don't let anyone ever tell you to cook them whole either. I knew better but did that once because someone said it was easier. I LOST so much pulp trying to separate it all after cooking and it was so much work for very little result. Peel and cut FIRST, then boil down.

The rest I just wash and make sure they are DRY then put them on lower shelf of refrigerator in a brown paper bag or bags. Don't forget about them either. Check them every few weeks to make sure there is no funny business going on it there. Hahahahahaha. If there is make some more sauce immediately, it'll keep.

Oh, I forgot to mention. When I make my kraut, I like to put some cut up tomatoes in there. Makes it sweeter. Or some spaghetti sauce if you have some. Just a few tblspns. Try it.

M
Shark
Shark
M
Navigaar,

Your sauerkraut sounds delicious!

Martha McKinnon
C
C
I am serving homemade red pork tamales, homemade refried beans and homemade Mexican rice for dinner tonight. I love to cook and have been encouraged by friends who enjoy my food to begin a cooking class. I have yet to see a category here in bellaonline that covers people that are excellent cooks but not trained chefs. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place? Maybe this IS the place?

C
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
C
Welcome to BellaOnline cesibon!

That's wonderful that you love to cook. For me, cooking can be a very creative process. You must be a wonderful cook. I don't know anyone who makes homemade tamales!

Have you looked into MeetUp groups in your area to teach a class? I know a local lady who offers baking classes in my area and they are quite popular.

I think what we have right now is specific diet/cuisine/interest group based in terms of food sections of BellaOnline. It is a great place to start meeting people with similar interests.

Again, welcome!

I look forward to more of your posts on cooking. smile

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
We have some sauerkraut in the fridge right now that we need to do something with - this sounds like a delicious idea! Thanks!

It was supposed to go with a pork roast but we waited too long and the pork roast died. Which is a separate topic - how to manage your time so you don't let perfectly good food go to waste.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I'm making za'atar chicken and sauteed cabbage. Either chickpea noodle soup or mashed potatoes. I'll decide on the way home. Also making Barefoot Contessa's brownie pudding.

Sexy Lingerie
Love waits for one thing, the right moment.
D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
I just stumbled onto this thread while browsing around.

The key to good kraut if you don't like it high on the vinegar side is to drain and rinse it well in cold water before cooking it. Do a little rinsing at a time and taste it until you get to the level of vinegar that suits your taste. I find the sauerkraut in the plastic bags in the refrigerated section of the grocery store tastes better than the canned variety. I usually like most of the vinegar rinsed out, but that is just me.

I am half Polish and my grandmother used to fry up some chopped bacon and onions in a large frying pan. You can keep as much or as little of the rendered fat as you want. She would then add the rinsed and drained kraut to that pan and mix it with the bacon and onions, cover it and cook it until the kraut was tender. You can add mushrooms, frozen peas, or anything else you like in the pan in any combination before adding the kraut. Season to taste with salt and pepper. The result is a wonderfully flavored and mild sauerkraut, and you don't need to add sugar.

Last edited by Cassie67; 10/06/11 10:03 AM.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
Tonight I am going to cook thin cut pork loin chops and noodles with parmesan, butter, and garlic. I think a Dutch crunch roll and a glass of V8 to go with it. I do not care much for vegetables and rarely eat canned vegetables -- I like to steam fresh broccoli, carrots and cauliflower when I have them, otherwise the V8 does the trick for me.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.