Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
A very warm welcome to the Self Development Forum !

Do you struggle with saying the right words when giving and taking compliments? Compliments are closely associated with self esteem and self confidence. The self development article below discusses more, including how to give compliments in a sincere way and how to accept them so that both parties benefit.

See: Compliments � Giving and Taking Them

I'd love to receive your feedback so do add your comments, queries, thoughts, etc., to this Forum thread. I look forward to hearing from you!

Last edited by JOY ( Self Development ); 09/12/11 04:35 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
Parakeet
Parakeet
S
Great article Joy - simple and to the point. I found several familiar feelings on both side of the coin - I now hope to give and take compliments more graciously.

Thanks

Susan Hopf
Horses and Animal Life site editor
Horses Website
Horses Forum
Animal Life Site
J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Originally Posted By: Susan - Horses/Animals

Re: Compliments � Giving and Taking Them

Great article Joy - simple and to the point. I found several familiar feelings on both side of the coin - I now hope to give and take compliments more graciously. Thanks

Hi Susan, thank you for your feedback - I�m glad you liked the article. (JOY)

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I love compliments. They are like food to me. I never understood why some people can't accept them.

I also give them out freely. smile

Elephant
Elephant
I'm great at giving them but can't stand getting them. I often feel that the person giving them wants something from me. I say thank you and accept it but deep down I'm always thinking why are they really saying that, what do they want from me. I think this has to do with working in bars for nearly a decade and just seeing people at their worst.

Also working in health clubs for ten years hasn't helped. A compliment in a health club usually means somebody want your money or your clients or free training.

I'm working on just accepting without reading into things further. Not easy for me! Great article.

Monica Neave ISSA Certified Fitness Therapist

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Originally Posted By: Jilly
...I never understood why some people can't accept them...
Hi Jilly, this can be a vicious circle as people can then find it difficult to give compliments to someone who can't accept them. (JOY)

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
I was horrible at that until my husband kept after me to stop denying compliments. It was a matter of low self esteem, I suppose.

But then something dawned on me.

I realized that people feel good when the recipient receives their compliment with gratitude and sincerity. People like to make others feel good and we rob them of that joy when we don't accept their compliments.

When I saw that, I began to accept compliments more readily. I say, "Thank you so much for making me feel good." Their compliment is a gift and our acceptance is a gift to them.

I've learned to say 'thank you' with a smile. It's been hard but practice makes perfect.

J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Originally Posted By: ExerciseEditor

Re: Compliments � Giving and Taking Them

I'm great at giving them but can't stand getting them. I often feel that the person giving them wants something from me. I say thank you and accept it but deep down I'm always thinking why are they really saying that, what do they want from me�Great article.

Hi Monica, glad you liked the article! I think that a lot of people are skeptical when they receive compliments for the reasons I mentioned in the article. If compliments are given sincerely and are accepted in the right way it is a win-win situation for both people. (JOY)

J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Originally Posted By: Lori - Marriage
...something dawned on me. I realized that people feel good when the recipient receives their compliment with gratitude and sincerity. People like to make others feel good and we rob them of that joy when we don't accept their compliments. When I saw that, I began to accept compliments more readily...
Hi Lori, yes, a simple "Thank you!" with a smile is indeed one of the best things you can do when given a compliment. (JOY)

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Sometimes, I add, "Thank you. I really needed that right now." And they know what is true--that they make a difference in other people's lives. A small act of kindness can save a life.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.